the n+1 issue. How long do you keep frames?- Mtbr.com
    ~ B A D A S S ~

the n+1 issue. How long do you keep frames?

Well I just (like a year ago) built up a fairly non economy commuter found here http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/my-...er-878749.html and already I'm looking at new frames, and new handelbars and new this and new that. It would be really nice to have stainless/853/ti non sloping top tube cx bike. But do I really need that?? No I definitely don't. But still I'm thinking about it and if I had like 5-6k non earmarked laying around I would probably get 1 or 2 (or even 3) frames to try out.

So is this a disease? Always lusting for what you don't have. The grass is always greener..

I built up my current ride as a first and foremeost durable (should last 30 years at least) and comfortable bike that takes studded tires. All parts were hand picked for durability. All of them. Money was never an issue. It took me several years to deciede on the parts and at least 2 on the frame.

So now I should be 100% happy right??

So, ride what I have or start looking for new?? My plan was to use this one for about 30 years.

How long do you keep your frames/bikes? Do you have the n+1 bug?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    The Duchess is a 35 year old frame this coming April. My wife's Nishiki is 40 years old next year. I have a Schwinn frame from 1986 that was new for me in 2009 that was my neighbor's son's. I have a Mixte Peugeot frame circa 1975 I rescued two years ago (a project I will get to this winter. I sank a lot of money into The Duchess and staved off the N+1 disease that way!

~ B A D A S S ~
    I'm hoping I can be like that. I just have to wipe out these thoughts about new bikes and frames. I think my frame can go even longer than 30 years if I care for it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Well, n+1 implies never downsizing. So, there's the answer.

I just bought a second frame identical to my current frame. I love the geometry and the bike fits me perfectly. On top of all that they're classic USA made bikes from the late 80s. Renyolds steel, lugged, braze-ons, cantilever brakes. Oh my. I'm a giddy bike owner.

weirdo
    Like Rogbie says, N+1 has nothing to do with REPLACING anything, just adding more
    The more bikes you spread the load between, the longer each will last in theory. The frame on my own "main" bike I`ve had for maybe five years, probably won`t ever get rid of it since it formerly belonged to a favorite uncle who passed away. Since I got that frame, I guess I`ve gone through five or six others- some are still hanging around and some I`ve parted with. Rotation is kind of nice sometimes. Try out something new and if you don`t like it don`t keep it. Or behave yourself and just stick with what`s already doing a fine job, but what fun is that?
    Recalculating....

Rogue Exterminator
    N+1 simply means you can never have too many bikes. You can buy, sell or trade as needed. You can even thin the heard as needed but you can never use the excuse that you already have too many bikes.

As far as how long to keep a bike, it really depends on the bike.
    I like turning old 80's mountain bikes in to commuters. So although it may be useless for its original intended purpose, you can still breathe new life in to an old bike for other purposes.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

CB of the East
    How many bikes do you have? If it is under 4 don't even worry about it. Just find the next right bike and go for it.

30 years is a LONG time to keep a bike. Having a bike that is 30 year old I can say this. Think back to your life 30 years ago and imagine keeping a bike that long into the future. Don't get me wrong, I still ride my 30 year old bike. Over 10% of the time this year even.

I've reached homeostasis with 8 bikes, meaning I don't feel the need for any more. Trading out, that's a different question. (Although adding a 650b MTB bike is still and option, I might be convinced to ditch the 26er...but I have tires that fit it...) Have I mentioned that I'd like a Bucksaw. In which case I would feel no need to keep the Pigsley.

So, if you have the means and you are buying a bike that fits a different need I would say: "Why Not"

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    (Although adding a 650b MTB bike is still and option, I might be convinced to ditch the 26er...but I have tires that fit it...)
    Convinced to let go of your Bridgestone???
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    No, the GT Sensor 1.0. It's getting old for a FS MTB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My regular commuter turns 16 this year, an REI randonee I got new in '99. I've been through a dozen or more other bikes in that time. Even with all the miles and rough life of a transportation tool its easily my favourite bike and has a surprising number of original parts.

You'll know when you have a keeper.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Out of my 3 current bikes, the oldest one is 2 years old. Previously I've sold bikes after a year or 2 if I found something else I liked. I'm pretty content with the current stable so I doubt I'll unload them anytime soon, but they'll likely get slight upgrades here and there. Eventually I'd like to get a nice custom-made steel road frame, but that'll be a while from now.

since 4/10/2009
    I like to keep stuff for a long time. My first two bikes didn't stick around long because they just weren't enough for me. My third, I still have, and it's 11.5yrs old, and plan to keep it around. My first dedicated commuter didn't stick around more than a couple of years because it just didn't work for me. My current commuter is a bit over a year old. The frame, anyway. I transferred most of the parts. So far, so good. Just built a new mtb last month so working on that.

mtbr member
    I'm in a condo, so I try to really limit my n+1-itis.

But I get around that by replacing what I've got, and have replaced all three of my frames over 3 years.

• First was a 26" aluminum Giant xc frame to a steel Indred (excuse: giant's bb was too low, backend always felt noodly, and honestly I wanted steel)
    • Second was a vintage-y frame for a nicer vintage frame (excuse: I couldn't pass up an early Bridgestone)
    • And just recently replaced my 29er with a dropbar-specific frame (excuse: the old frame was killing my back)

On the plus side, now I've got a quiver I'm pretty happy with. The bridgestone isn't going anywhere, and the dropbar frame should keep me entertained for a long time. My inbred might get cycled-out eventually, but that's just because 26ers are apparently extinct.

When I get antsy I also swap spare parts around: flatbar to drops, geared to ss to fixed, or even just a different stem to make things more/less aggressive. It's like making an old bike new.

Fat-tired Roadie
    My most senior bike is my 2007 Specialized Hardrock. I own two bikes I bought secondhand that are a bit older.

I broke a c1986 Raleigh frame a couple years ago. I thought about building a bare frame with the parts, but I had a hodge podge of different periods' standards in play. I didn't spend long building up a shopping list before I decided to bag the project. I decided that going forward, life is too short for a bike too old or too cheap to have 700C wheels, 130 mm spacing, and at least an 8-speed cassette. Since I'm making more money now, I think I'm comfortable crossing threaded headsets off my acceptable list too. That's not terribly limiting - that change happened right around 2000 for most road bikes.

If it was a special bike, I might feel differently. My old bikes have not been special. My Hardrock, dunno, but it's already cut off from most new suspension forks worth buying.

How to get over n+1? A couple things. I try to be about the sport, not the possessions. Easy for me to say when I have five of them, I suppose, but from time to time, I ask myself stuff like, "Do I still need this bike?" or "If I owned this bike, what would I use it for? How often? How much better than one of my existing bikes would it be?" I mean, it's my money, so if something gives me joy, wtf. But I think it's easy to get weighed down by possessions and acquire things for their own sake, without a realistic use case.

That line of thinking led to getting rid of one of my road bikes about a year and a half ago. I didn't really need three anymore once the novelty wore off 'cross racing. Didn't stop me from getting a shiny new MTB, and while it put my old bike and my other road bike/former commuter on thin ice, I found I still use them, if not all that much. I'm planning to get rid of a pair of carving skis next week.

The other thing to try not to get into is the idea of the ultimate xxx bike. Ask yourself if your bike is doing the job you want it to. If it's really not, then by all means, revise it or get another. But I think accepting that my ultimate bike doesn't really exist makes it a lot easier for good enough to be good enough. And if you end up feeling justified in buying another... Well, this guy's got two thumbs and five bikes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx