mtbr member
    Sep 2015

My new whip (she's an oldie, but a goodie).

Just picked this up the other night for $40. This is my new commuter project...Pretty much the bike I wanted back in college over 20 years ago, haha. It's a 1991 Hardrock. Currently it's awaiting a full spa day at the LBS, along with getting a new chain. By the time I am done, the only "original" part of this bike will be the frame. My first order of business is replacing the fork with a rigid fork so I can mount fenders on it. I also need to replace the quill/stem..it's way too far forward and puts pressure on my back even on short rides up the street and back Can anyone recommend a quill/stem that would give me a much more upright riding position??
    Also...the rims are on my "replace" list also...can anyone recommend some affordable strong rims for commuting/touring with this rig??

My new whip (she's an oldie, but a goodie).-specialized-hardrock-project.jpg

jl
    climb
    No need to replace the stem, unless it is not compatible with your new fork. Keep the stem and replace the handle bars with some cruiser bars that sweep back. I think you'll like that set up better. Don't worry about changing the rims until they have no life left in them. Find some wide-slick/semi-slick tires and and ride.

You'll probably need to replace all the cables if you are changing the handlebars, but it'll be worth it.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.