My new wannabe Moots Comooter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

My new wannabe Moots Comooter

OK... it's no Moots Comooter but this bike gets me most of the way there for a fraction of the price.

Here is the spec:-

It's a rigid steel 29er

Frame - Voodoo Dambala
    Fork - Salsa CroMo 29er Suspension Corrected
    Rear Hub - Rohloff Speedhub
    Front Hub - Schmidt SON 28 Dynamo
    Rims - Mavic 719
    Lights - Supernova E3 Triple Front and E3 Rear
    Cranks, Brakes, Levers - Shimano SLX
    Saddle - Brooks B17 Champion Special
    Post - Thompson Elite
    Handle Bar - Truvativ Noir World Cup Carbon Flat
    Grips - Ergon GR2 Carbon
    Tyres - Schwalbe Marathon XR 35's

I originally saw the Moots Comooter and thought wow - must have. Then I found out the price - er, no thanks... The Voodoo Dambala is no Moots, that's for sure, but it does have sliding dropouts which is why I chose it. The Rohloff worked just fine without any mods and I can run disk brakes. I also have a set of Honjo fenders to fit once the guys that built it can work out how to make them fit... not so easy. The Supernova E3 Triple is a great head light - really bight and no worries with batteries running flat. The rear light is great but probably should be supplemented with a really bright flashing light for added safety.

This bike cost around a third of the cost of the Comooter - not bad really.

Hope you enjoy checking this out half as much as I enjoy riding it!

HillBilly
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A few more pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    it looks real nice...congrats

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Super Sweet!!

Personally I think that bike can be way more than just a commuter. It would be very nice for a long gravel road grinder as well. So, was everything in the pics bought brand new?

No-Brakes Cougar
    That is one sweet ride man. Maybe better than the Comooter? I got sprung on the Comooter the first time I saw it (I'm a tool for camel back frames), but the price is definitely a buzz kill. I thik you put together a great ride. I like the brass bell, too.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Ovaries on the Outside
    That is a hot, hot and hot bike. You essentially built my crush.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    wow man thats an awesome rig... really dig the light mount... enjoy the ride man
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Very, very nice! Does it rain where you live? Add fenders (to keep the wheel splash off) and you'll be set for the winter commute. Enjoy!

b3ksmith
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off

mtbr member
    Wow, very sweet build. I love steel rides and Brooks saddles. Great light mount solution. Is rear disk mount integrated with the hubs? You just gave me great ideas on how to build my next commuter, but I might opt for cyclocross drops. I just have to figure out how to fit the disc levers on it. Thanks for posting.
    I'm gravity challenged, adrenaline deficient, and looking for that endorphine high. Shout out, I'll move out of the way. :-)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by pogliaghi
    Wow, very sweet build. I love steel rides and Brooks saddles. Great light mount solution. Is rear disk mount integrated with the hubs? You just gave me great ideas on how to build my next commuter, but I might opt for cyclocross drops. I just have to figure out how to fit the disc levers on it. Thanks for posting.
    Buy the drop bars and buy these. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Buy the drop bars and buy these. Problem solved.
    Thanks for the pointer. Although, I should have qualified my question, I was wondering how to hang hydraulic disc lever on drops. I've run v-brakes with road drops for 8 yrs now with older Diacompe 287V, so I have kicked around the mech disc idea as a future possibility. Mind you, I don't ever really think I would need that kind of power, it's just that the OP bike, with the hydro disc, is just too cool .
    I'm gravity challenged, adrenaline deficient, and looking for that endorphine high. Shout out, I'll move out of the way. :-)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by pogliaghi
    Thanks for the pointer. Although, I should have qualified my question, I was wondering how to hang hydraulic disc lever on drops. I've run v-brakes with road drops for 8 yrs now with older Diacompe 287V, so I have kicked around the mech disc idea as a future possibility. Mind you, I don't ever really think I would need that kind of power, it's just that the OP bike, with the hydro disc, is just too cool .
    Hit up the OP for details from this thread, but ignore the discussion. He should be able to tell you how he is liking his set up. A drop bar with some flare might make the brakes more accessible. The other option is to invent hydraulic road levers and you'd have the market covered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Hit up the OP for details from this thread, but ignore the discussion. He should be able to tell you how he is liking his set up. A drop bar with some flare might make the brakes more accessible. The other option is to invent hydraulic road levers and you'd have the market covered.
    Hey thanks. Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. I was thinking cyclocross drops 'cuz they're flared and I have a tendency to go to the hoods, and angling the lever might be enough to keep me from accidentally damaging the brake hose.

I Have Cookies
    I really like the Bell!!!!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

You're not alone

A very very nice bike it is!

I also got a crush on the Comooter and have built up my alternative with quite a number of common parts to yours. In trying to get even closer to the comooter, I however had a frame built in China and I must say they have done an excellent job.
    I am planning to take some pictures and post it on mtbr the coming days or so.

Enjoy your ride!!

Members who have read this thread: 0