My new (to me) winter commuter bike/loaner mtn bike... a few concerns- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My new (to me) winter commuter bike/loaner mtn bike... a few concerns

I got this bike for free from work in absolute mint condition. Its a 1999 Mongoose DX 5.3, like a $500 bike in its day. I changed a few things to make it a little nicer by mixing in some parts from a 2001 Rocky Mtn Fusion; headset, fork, brakes, derailleur, and a different bar/stem setup.

Anyhow, i recently equipped it for winter commuting with some lights and fenders (and tires sorta). Its a Topeak Defender m1/m2 fender set. theyre much flimsier than i thought they'd be. The front fender is a little more of a problem; when the fork travels upward all the way, the fork cross brace actually hits the mounting plate of the fender. It makes a somewhat scary sounding click/bang... i dont know what to do about it.

Im starting to think i shouldve gotten a full wrapping fender set for durability and fit reasons...

mtbr member

fender concerns

I was thinking of getting those fenders, but I saw a lot of complaints when I read online reviews from people that purchased them. I use the Planet Bike Freddy Fenders on a mountain bike. They are lightweight, secure, and I have not had any problems with them. Therefore, I would recommend them.

Moderator Moderator
    I had that front fender and was pretty happy with it, but all bikes are different. But you could check if you can adjust the bracket forward or back a bit so that the fork clear it. They have a pic of this problem in the instructions downloadable at TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories (upper right of page)

weirdo
    Is the fork you changed out rigid? If it is, maybe you`d have better fender luck by swapping it back on. Of course, that`s probably what you were trying to avoid....
    The only other thing that occurs to me would be to cut the fender in half and mount it with some kind of flaky brackets to give you a gap where it passes under the fork crown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Is the fork you changed out rigid? If it is, maybe you`d have better fender luck by swapping it back on. Of course, that`s probably what you were trying to avoid....
    The only other thing that occurs to me would be to cut the fender in half and mount it with some kind of flaky brackets to give you a gap where it passes under the fork crown.
    The old fork was just a previous generation RS Jett, so not rigid.

I have adjusted it to the max position to allow clearance for the cross brace but its not even remotely close to enough. I'd return the set but theyre from the UK... so probably not going to for the 35 bucks i spent (shipped).

It doesnt interfere with most bumps i encounter on the roads, only things that cause full travel; curbs, steps, pot holes. It will break im sure one of these days. I'll likely just leave it, not like it'll damage the bike.

mtbr member
    Apparently the front part of the fender doesn't step up high enough to clear the fork travel, yeah?
    I wonder if the step up on the front part is any different than something like the SKS Shockboard front fender.
    I've not had any clearance issues on mine personally. Got it for around $20 at a local REI.

Amazon.com: SKS Shockboard Front Bicycle Fender (Black): Sports & Outdoors

Give it a look once/if yours gives out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Six View Post
    Apparently the front part of the fender doesn't step up high enough to clear the fork travel, yeah?
    I wonder if the step up on the front part is any different than something like the SKS Shockboard front fender.
    I've not had any clearance issues on mine personally. Got it for around $20 at a local REI.

Amazon.com: SKS Shockboard Front Bicycle Fender (Black): Sports & Outdoors

Give it a look once/if yours gives out.
    Its not the fender itself thats in the way. The mounting bracket that goes up inside the steerer tube doesnt hug the fork enough.

I tried to circle/outline the part thats being hit by the fork's cross brace.
    Attached Images Attached Images