My New Commuter- Mtbr.com

Thread: My New Commuter

mtbr member

... and if we just ... My New Commuter

My new ride, pretty excited about it. Still getting used to dropbars since I've never ridden drops before. Its not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be; pedaling while standing is weird though, my balance feels really off but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
    Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New Commuter-bott-angle.jpg  

My New Commuter-bott-side.jpg  

My New Commuter-bott-close.jpg  

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive

2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    2010 Bottecchia RS290 Cross

Bedwards Of The West
    Sweet! 'Cross bikes rule for the commute.

Getting used to drops is a little weird, especially standing efforts. You're not doing anything wrong, it just takes a little time. I switched from drops to bullhorns and went through the same transition all over again. Drops felt 10x more stable than the bullhorns at first. It's just a matter of getting used to it...makes you a better rider!

Have fun!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Thanks! It definitely seems to handle my commute well. I did have to swap the saddle though. I tried adjusting it and getting used to it, but it was too painful to deal with.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Drop bars can certainly be a little difficult to set up well. For me, the primary riding position is on the brake hoods, and the part of my hand between thumb and forefinger is in very close to the same spot relative to the saddle as on my mountain bike. You can do all the same things with playing with stem length and rise and the spacer stack as as on a mountain bike, and you can also play with the angle of the handlebars.

If you can get that relationship the same, the balance should feel a lot more similar. My road bike has the same drop from saddle to handlebars and only slightly more reach to the brake hoods than the drop and reach from saddle to grips on my mountain bike.

'Cross bikes often have less bottom bracket drop than road bikes, which is a part of the balance issue. That just takes some getting used to, and it gives a little more pedal clearance for riding off-road. And the head tube is steeper than what you're used to. That also takes some time. On most 'cross bikes, it's a little bit shallower, so it'll be a little easier to get used to.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    NICE. Bottechia. That brand brings memories.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    NICE. Bottechia. That brand brings memories.
    Actually, I found out that Ottavio Bottecchia was my Grandfather's cousin (I think that is cousin twice removed to me). It had never really come up and after my mom passed away (her maiden name was Bottecchia and thats who the decal on my bike is referring to), I did some research into family history. Sure enough I came across more info and talked to my Grandmother since she is the only one left that I could get info from, and she had all these stories about him and his training.

weirdo
    Yowza, that`s a sweet looking ride! I hope you get the drop bar thing worked out- they`re WAY more comfy for me, but like the others said, they did take some getting used to.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Thanks!!! Yeah, I think its a matter of getting used to it. Which I'm already starting too; I think it was just a lot of change all at once. I have only ridden mtb and I've been commuting for a few years with panniers. Now I go to dropbars and a backpack, so a lot of change all at once. Plus I think the seat being really uncomfortable didnt help any. Now I have a more cushy seat so that will probably help greatly, but I havent been able to try it yet. I'll definitely report back on the progress.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Not only a sweet ride, but you may have some history in the name...very cool. Take the time you have and get with your G'Ma...there are many questions I never took the opportunity to ask...many will remain unanswered as she has past...so get on the stick!
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    Absolutely, usually visit her 2x per week during my lunch. Still need to improve my Italian since she doesnt speak any English. And this goes for everyone else too, you dont want to wait until its too late.

Got my new seat and was able to go for a quick ride around the block...definitely seems much improved. Tomorrow will be my first commute with the new seat, so we'll see how it performs.

Members who have read this thread: 0