My first day commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

My first day commuting

11 miles one way. Some hills. Took 58 minutes. The first of many days.
    -Greg
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29-SL, Truvativ Hammerschmidt, Cannondale Lefty 29er SL w/ DLR (Project321 adaptor). 26 lbs.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    congrats gr! and welcome!

weirdo
    Whoopie! I take it you didn`t have any big problems? Had a nice trip? That`s a pretty long bike commute- congratulations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you! There was this one big hill that didn't look big at all when I drove it in my car the other day. Otherwise, it was great. Cool weather this morning. It was in the 40's when I left home. Looking forward to the commute back.
    -Greg
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29-SL, Truvativ Hammerschmidt, Cannondale Lefty 29er SL w/ DLR (Project321 adaptor). 26 lbs.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by grnamin
    There was this one big hill that didn't look big at all when I drove it in my car the other day.
    Haha! Funny how that works, ain`t it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Haha! Funny how that works, ain`t it?
    LOL. Yep. I figure that that hill can only help me improve. When I came up to it I thought to myself that I would end up walking halfway through (I'm running 1x9), but I made it all the way through. Had to resort to my lowest gear (32x34).
    -Greg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thread. Made my day! Happy cycling!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you!
    -Greg

No-Brakes Cougar
    Welcome to bicycle commuting! Sounds like you made pretty good time too. Enjoy and stay safe out there!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 Ė May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank you! There was this one big hill that didn't look big at all when I drove it in my car the other day. Otherwise, it was great. Cool weather this morning. It was in the 40's when I left home. Looking forward to the commute back.
    I have one of those hills on my commute (except that it isn't open to car traffic). It is so steep that I have never seen a road biker every make it all of the way up and have even seen more timid riders walking down the steepest section. I use it as motivation. Over time I have been building up strength to take it in progressively steeper gears and at a higher speed.

One word of caution with commuting by bike - it can become addictive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Clyde
    One word of caution with commuting by bike - it can become addictive.
    And other cycling isn't?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Whew! Home in 57 minutes. I took what I thought would be a shortcut and two big hills, one after the other, laughed at me and tried to spit me out, but I shifted low, didn't walk, and made it through them. I've been spoiled riding a car!
    -Greg

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Great gr!
    I'd say: google up some routes...you don't want to push your first days on the bike...then go for all the hills and shorter rides!

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    or the longer and hilly ones!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    Great gr!
    I'd say: google up some routes...you don't want to push your first days on the bike...then go for all the hills and shorter rides!
    I used Google Maps' bicycle routing to get the best route. I may have to move closer to my workplace. The mrs. will kill me.
    -Greg

mtbr member
    22 miles of riding every bike commute day? That's awesome. Congrats!

It's funny... when I drove I envied those with shorter commutes. Now that I ride, I envy those with longer commutes. LOL (Thought I'm probably not the first to say that)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I needed a recovery day today. Have to go back to my old workplace to cover for someone tomorrow, so it's back to bike commuting on Thursday.
    -Greg

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    try some routes manually on mapmyride or something...don't trust just the google bicycle app...where I am we don't have bikelanes and of course the google app doesn't work...everything goes by test rides ...

I draw the shorter ride..went for it and then modified it until the hill/flat % was the proper for my physical condition...and change it while the conditions got better....not that I am a Merck or something right now! but it really help me to do more rides and less recovery days!

I'm not as constant as other boys and girls here, but once you do a complete week by bike you will fell very nice....go for it!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    11 miles one way. Some hills. Took 58 minutes. The first of many days.
    Freakin’ awesome dude!!! Keep the miles comin’!!! Before you know it, you will be trying to make the trip in less time each time you ride—it’s a sickness, once the adrenaline addiction kicks in.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Freakin’ awesome dude!!! Keep the miles comin’!!! Before you know it, you will be trying to make the trip in less time each time you ride—it’s a sickness, once the adrenaline addiction kicks in.
    Any of the Garmin Edges are good for competing against your previous times. I have the Edge 205, which I paid about 140 for, and it has really helped me improve my commute time.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you! I'll check out mapmyride and I may look into a Garmin.
    -Greg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Six

It's funny... when I drove I envied those with shorter commutes. Now that I ride, I envy those with longer commutes. LOL (Thought I'm probably not the first to say that)
    I'm do the same thing, I live 5 miles from the office, all my coworker think I'm crazy when I tell them I want to move 10-15 miles away so I get more time commuting

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I decided to check out Google Maps again. I thought to myself that maybe Google maps routes for road bicycles, not mountain bikes. Sure enough, I found a route that goes through an industrial park and a gravel path that may connect to my workplace. I'll try to check it out later today.
    -Greg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Six

I think 11-13 miles is ideal. I find myself envying people with that distance commute.
    :wq

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76
    Any of the Garmin Edges are good for competing against your previous times. I have the Edge 205, which I paid about 140 for, and it has really helped me improve my commute time.
    Got the 705 here, but I mainly keep an eye on how many minutes each mile takes me, and that pretty much dictates the hecticity of my commutes. I have ADHD, so the “calories” (burned) readings are irrelevant. Somehow my cadence-o-meter isn’t working though, although when I power on the 705 it acknowledges it’s presence, but when I hook the unit up to my computer and launch the Garmin Training Center, the “cadence” field shows up blank consistently every time. The magnet mounted on the crank arm is for sure magnetic, dunno what the deal is. It would be nice to see just what cadence I am banging out, since this is a 36tx17t single speed bike with 24" wheels (my max “comfortable” speed is 17.5MPH, although I’ve banged out some 2+ mile spirited sprints above 19MPH), and of course the occasional frantic 27MPH sprints to catch the traffic light before it turns red (191bpm is great for the heart of a 40 year old man, so I hear).
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    (191bpm is great for the heart of a 40 year old man, so I hear).

Today's report: I made it in 54 minutes today. I also shaved .9 miles from my trip. The Google Maps recon paid off. I found a shortcut that even a road bike could take (with a little walking).
    -Greg

Members who have read this thread: 0