My first commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

My first commuter

..and my first bike in 10+ years.

just bought it yesterday.

its a new Trek 7300 and wow what a sweet ride. guess the bicyle industry has advanced a little in the last 10 years or so im gonna go try to ride it to work. protesting the ridicules gas prices ang getting into shape at the same time

got me a Cateye Velo 8 to go with it. seems like a nice computer.

mtbr member
    Smart decision. Enjoy your ride.
    I'm gravity challenged, adrenaline deficient, and looking for that endorphine high. Shout out, I'll move out of the way. :-)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Change yr pedal. It will make yr ride more sweet.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by like a chump
    ..and my first bike in 10+ years.

just bought it yesterday.

its a new Trek 7300 and wow what a sweet ride. guess the bicyle industry has advanced a little in the last 10 years or so
    I hear ya, Chump! I rode as my daily transportation until I got a drivers license (I know, we all did), then didn`t pedal for a good fifteen to twenty years. When I got back into it again, Holy Cow! I was lost looking at my first modern bike! I don`t think they`re as pretty anymore, but they sure run better.

Very nice looking bike you`ve got there- you`ll have a lot of fun with it. Good luck with your commute.

responsible zombie owner
    Sweet paint job, very stylish, and a practical choice too.

Some unsolicited advice: the saddle looks a bit low; your leg should be almost straight when the pedal is at its lowest point, this will give you more power and make cycling less tiring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks for the replies, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by shimano4
    Change yr pedal. It will make yr ride more sweet.
    really? does new pedals really make a difference? im not doubting you, just find it odd. recommend any good ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    the saddle looks a bit low; your leg should be almost straight when the pedal is at its lowest point, this will give you more power and make cycling less tiring.
    ok thanks! didnt know that.

responsible zombie owner
    The stock pedals will probably be a bit flexy (and plastic pedals are much worse) but the real advantage comes from going to clipless pedals, although not everyone can wear cycling-specific shoes when commuting! (My commute's only a few minutes long, so it would take more time to swap shoes than I would save riding clipless.)

I would just use the pedals you have until you feel you need to replace them, by which time you can have researched suitably strong but light pedals - whether platforms or clipless.

Re saddle height, your weight should be spread across the three contact points - hands, butt and feet - not focused solely on your butt, which is what happens if your saddle is too low. On long rides you will be noticeably more comfortable!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Nice man, very nice! Congrats on returning to the bike commuter fold!

Last year I got back into cycling and commuting after an absence of about 15 years. Ironically, the bike I started on was made probably around the time I first stopped cycling. Since purchasing a newer mountain bike for dedicated off-road duties, I'm now having to learn about and contend with new fangled stuff like suspension forks and disc brakes.

Clipless and flats both have their advantages and disadvatages. I'm biased on the matter since I use flats for everything, but try yours and see if you wouldn't like to switch to clipless for long distance rides etc... Enjoy your new bike!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    Re saddle height, your weight should be spread across the three contact points - hands, butt and feet - not focused solely on your butt, which is what happens if your saddle is too low. On long rides you will be noticeably more comfortable!
    aint that the truth. i was aching after 12 miles today. i thought i had put the saddle high enough but i guess it needs more.

responsible zombie owner
    If your leg seems almost straight when the pedal is at its lowest on the downstroke, you'll just need to make small adjustments, maybe half an inch at a time. Small changes can have a big effect. When you're commuting the key consideration is to have a riding position in which you feel comfortable and *safe* - not perched with your butt in the air like a Lance wannabe.

Also, your butt will adapt. Wearing cycling shorts (with a padded rear) will make a huge difference to ride comfort on long rides. I only have a short commute, but if I were riding 12 miles to work I would probably wear cycling shorts, shoes and jersey, and change at work (using clipless pedals would probably make up enough time for the change!). I don't ride more than 15kms without padded shorts.

responsible zombie owner
    More unsolicited advice: get bar ends (just shove the grips a half-inch closer to the stem to allow room, so you can shift your hand position during rides and ease pressure points.

Here's a similar set up on someone's Trek 7.5FX.

http://timsadventures.com/2009/05/22...y-trek-7-5-fx/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    cool. i'll get that too.

thanks for the advices!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'll chip in too... One day, maybe consider getting a rigid fork- it'll save you some weight and probably make your bike climb better. I don't like suspension forks, though, and don't use them on singletrack, so preference there.

If you are traveling a fairly long distance, make sure to have tools- hex keys, a hand/frame pump, patch kit, extra tube, etc. Sucks to have to walk.

Decent platform pedals and toe clips will be comfortable and give you better power transfer until you feel more comfortable with the idea of clipless. I typically use the platforms and toeclips during the dry months so I don't have to carry an extra pair of shoes.

Have a good time commuting.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Get Wellgo MTB Pedal if u dont want go clipless and it will not cost u a bomb..

Broad pedal for better power transmission.

weirdo
    I took the clip in pedals off most of my bikes. My shoes stick almost as well to BMX pedals (like the ones Umarth posted) and it`s simple to jump on the bike no matter whether I have my work boots or tennis shoes. I wanna try those MKS platforms instead of quills on my roadie- pretty cheap and they look like they`d be easy on the feet even after a lot of hours.

No-Brakes Cougar
    +1000000000000 for the BMX platforms! Best all-around pedal IMHO.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0