My First Commute!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

My First Commute!

Today, May 2, 2011, marks the first time I have commuted to work. I vow from here on out, to commute as often as I can, rain or shine. Sure the FL humidity can be brutal, it wasn't so bad though this morning leaving at 7 am, but as this summer moves on, it is destined to be worse. Lucky for me, my commute is only 2.9 miles door to door and I can do it in under 15 minutes, which leaves me with plenty of time to cool down and clean up.

I had my old Outcast 29er all set up for commuting as of this past Saturday; fresh brakes, 42x16 gear, and ready to rock. I thought I would giver her a good shakedown by participating in downtown scavenger hunt (I was the only MTB there that I could see, at least I fit in with my SS! lol)

My day started like this:

and ended in carnage:

But I was still committed to commute, well that and my parking permit expired today. So lucky for my the good old Monocog Flight was there to ride!

I still have some details to work out to make my ride a little easier and I need to obviously order a new 42t chain ring, but all in all I am completely excited to be commuting!
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Congrats!

I also made my first full commute today, on a SS aswell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Congrats, welcome to the club. My commute is the same distance, except I have to worry about winter cold, snow and ice.

I have a coworker who complains about the slow bus when he lives just a mile from the train station. I told him to get a bicycle, but he said there was no rack, etc... (which I highly doubt) Somehow I will never understand...
    Check out this short fun blog on downhill mountain bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks guys. Part of me would almost rather ride in the cold and snow instead of the heat and humidity, almost. Lol

weirdo
    Good job, guys! The pictures don`t show up on this computer, so if I`m missing anything it`ll have to wait until I go home.

For what it`s worth, I`d rather ride in my winter snow and ice than in a sticky southern summer or baking Phoenix/Vegas/Palm Springs scorcher. I dunno about the crazy Cannuck crew`s winter extremes- glad I don`t have THAT stuff to deal with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just to update:

Today marks my the start of my third week in a row commuting and I am loving it. I finally got the Motobecane back together and added some sweet new lights! The 42x16 gearing is so much nicer than the 32x16 I rode the first two weeks...

The weather this morning in FL was B-E-A-UTIFUL!

I also did my first 30+ mile ride last Friday, I can't wait to add more miles to that!

I also want to add some fenders and pick up a Chrome messenger bag, oh and also a nice U-Lock. Then I think I should be done for a while...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ender.
    Just to update:

Today marks my the start of my third week in a row commuting and I am loving it.....

I also did my first 30+ mile ride last Friday, I can't wait to add more miles to that!...
    Nice! Just so you're aware, the commuter forum rules require a snapshot or two on those joyrides.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by ender.
    Then I think I should be done for a while...
    Done? No more checks in your checkbook?
    I`m glad you`re enjoying your commutes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    Nice! Just so you're aware, the commuter forum rules require a snapshot or two on those joyrides.
    Noted. The picture posted of the Outcast hanging was after the ride, if that counts!? haha

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Done? No more checks in your checkbook?
    I`m glad you`re enjoying your commutes.
    I don't think I will ever truly be done, but isn't that half the fun? I just have to find new reasons to explain to friends why I eat raman and can't go out for a night of drinking, they seem to give weird looks when I tell them I'm broke because I bought parts for my bike...

Members who have read this thread: 0