My commuting experience- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

My commuting experience

I just recently started cycling to work. The jobsite is about an 8 minute ride from home, so it's scarcely worth getting decked out in riding gear. That, and the fact that it would be difficult to change in a porta-potty.

The first few days, I felt like a... commoner. Without a fancy bike, and the accompanying clothes, I looked like any other schmoo (sp?) riding a department store bike to wherever.

But after the first few days, though, it actually felt good. Better than driving, and the daily search for a parking spot. And who cares if I ride a basic bike, dressed in my work clothes? I'm just riding to work, saving time AND money in the process. It's all good.

Anyone else want to share their commuting story?

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats on your new commute. Isn't it great to arrive at work actually feeling good! I agree 100%,any jobsite with a portapotty is not worth changing into anything special, especially if it is that close.

weirdo
    I like being a Schmo! Didn`t you know that Potsie is the new Fonz?!?

The Brutally Handsome
    Proof that you don't need to throw down top dollar to enjoy biking, it's all what you make of it. Thanks for sharing!

As for commuting stories, I was commuting home yesterday and happened to ride up on another dude with an xtracycle. We chatted it up about commuting xtracycle-style and it made me happy to be on a bike. Can't say that I've ever struck up a conversation with someone while commuting in my car.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I commute in regular work clothes, too. Who cares what anyone else thinks? You are your number one priority, if you are safe and having fun then that's all that matters.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You guys must be working in construction or something to ride in regular work clothes. I sweat like a pig, no way I could commute to work if they didn't have showers on site.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniil
    You guys must be working in construction or something to ride in regular work clothes. I sweat like a pig, no way I could commute to work if they didn't have showers on site.
    In my case, it doesn`t really matter what condition I arrive in, since I change into my uniform before I clock in and I`m usually filthy by the time I leave. If you have your system all worked out, I wouldn`t dream of suggesting you change it. Wear whatever you want to or need to, but I don`t see what your choice of commuting clothes has to do with anything at work if you shower when you get there anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I cycle in semi- cycling attire. Cyclist jersey with jeans. When reached workplace, cool down for 5mins and swap into shirt and start working. I got a niceplace to hand my sweater jersey and when reaches knock off time. The jersey will have dry by then and off I go with the jersey on again.

Bedwards Of The West
    I think there's an E on the end of schmoe. Or maybe it's shhmow. shmoe. I dunno.

I remember thinking, when we bought our house, that maybe one day I could work up to riding the 6 miles into town on my bike...then I remember thinking that maybe I could ride to work every now and then. Then I remember thinking that with enough gear, I could ride pretty far into winter. Then I remember thinking that one bike was not enough. Then I remember thinking that 2000 commuting miles in a year was do-able. Then I remember thinking that single digits weren't "that" cold. Then I remember thinking that 2 bikes was not enough... Then I remember thinking that I should sign up for a century. Currently I'm thinking that I should bring my bike to with me to Oregon this summer...and ride it home. Be careful man, it grows on you.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Larrye, Curlye, and Schmoe.
    No, wait....

No-Brakes Cougar
    Actually I work in a library, but believe it or not it is pretty physical work (toss aside misconceptions about library employees sitting behind a desk reading all day!). I usually wear work pants (Dickies or Ben Davis) and a polo shirt or button-up short sleeve shirt. I sweat yes, but sweat dries and if you shower regularly you won't stink because fresh sweat usually doesn't smell that much.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I also commute in my work clothes and I've just recently stopped riding with my steel toed boots. I work in a manufacturing plant and now have a locker so i can keep my boots at work. I get some pretty strange looks on my commute cause of what I'm wearing but it doesn't bother me. If it's raining I've got on my black motorcycle rain pants that i got for free and a camo jacket thats waterproof. I actually have to laugh when I'm leaving work when it's raining and someone offers me a ride because i always tell them no thanks I'm all set. They just walk away shaking there heads because they don't understand what it's like to ride a bike no matter what the weather throws at you. I've been commuting for over a year and I have just finally built a commuter friendly bike. As long as your happy commuting don't worry about it. Just ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I think there's an E on the end of schmoe. Or maybe it's shhmow. shmoe. I dunno.

I remember thinking, when we bought our house, that maybe one day I could work up to riding the 6 miles into town on my bike...then I remember thinking that maybe I could ride to work every now and then. Then I remember thinking that with enough gear, I could ride pretty far into winter. Then I remember thinking that one bike was not enough. Then I remember thinking that 2000 commuting miles in a year was do-able. Then I remember thinking that single digits weren't "that" cold. Then I remember thinking that 2 bikes was not enough... Then I remember thinking that I should sign up for a century. Currently I'm thinking that I should bring my bike to with me to Oregon this summer...and ride it home. Be careful man, it grows on you.
    I'm not quite so huge on mileage numbers, but I certainly understand about bike collections.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yep, I work construction. When I had an office job, and bike commuted, I would wear cycling gear and change at work. Now... meh, not an issue. The only other problem I found was discomfort in the hind quarters, so to speak, from not wearing cycling shorts / chamois. A big cushy saddle solved that problem pretty quick.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Most of my work is stagecraft and I mainly freelance. So sometimes during the summer I'll wear a cycling jersey and change into a T-shirt when I get to work, but usually I just wear my work clothes. When I had a steady job for a while, I sometimes wore tights or shorts instead of jeans, and kept a spare pair of shoes at work in case of rain. Now I just keep spare socks in my messenger bag, and wear rain pants over my jeans if it rains hard enough.

Last time I had an office job I left a pair of nicer shoes and pants at my desk and rode in in a pair of shorts and cycling shoes and my shirt for the day, then changed when I got there. That was in San Francisco, so the weather was pretty mild and I didn't sweat much.

If I'm going to be on a bike for more than a half hour or so, I'd rather be wearing cycling clothes. But I won't start dragging a change of clothes on my back until about an hour and a half or two hours of riding.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0