My Bike-To-Work adventure- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

My Bike-To-Work adventure

Just thought I would share my "bad luck trying to do the Bike-To-Work day" story.

So, a good tax return and a couple of friends from work prodding me convinced me to build up a commuter bike. I laced up the wheels last week and all the rest of the parts finally came in late Wednesday. I know, bad idea trying to get a new bike built the night before, right?

I have never built a road bike and I backed the bar clamp screw too far trying to get the lever on the bar. Re-tightening cross threaded the nut.

I called all over town and after stopping by four different older shops with giant junk drawers full of nuts and bolts, found no one had anything that would work. I finally went to Sears and bought a tap and thread set and ran home.

Around dinner time, my oldest daughter decides to do a full-run hug on our 1 year old punching her tooth through her upper lip. So, off the emergency room for a fun-filled 5.5 hours.

Back by 1:30am

Being the stubborn ass that I am, I decide to pull an all nighter. Nothing is going to stop me from riding in on my new bike on Bike-To-Work day!

Time to press in the headset. I have the old "huge bolt and washer" headset press. Guess what? The head tube is significantly longer than any head tube I have ever had on any other bike. The bolt is about an inch too short. I'll just use one of my giant C-clamps and go really slow... except that I lent them to my dad who lives 100 miles away.

So at this point, I can either pound the cups in with a mallet (cringe) or tear the house apart looking for something that will work. I tore apart the garage for about a half hour and found a super long bolt off of my BBQ that, along with like 27 washers of different sizes ended up working.

Everything else went smoothly until I got to mounting the centerlock lock ring. The problem is, the axle on the XT hub is too long for the Park cassette tool so the tool bottomed out before it got tight. Oh well, there is nothing I can do about this one. I'll get it as tight as I can and just use the front brake. Maybe I can find a shop between work and home on the way back that can snug it up for me.

I got done at 6:30am... Not even time to test ride and adjust. I'll have to do that on the way in to work. It was an awesome 17 mile ride into work in perfect weather... with zero sleep. Stopped a couple of times to adjust derailleurs and seat height.

I was okay until around 3pm when I fell asleep at my desk.

Oh, I also got a flat on the way home. Opened my bag, pulled out my levers, and... I forgot to pack tubes. Hey, I got zero sleep. I'm lucky I packed anything. Actually, I'm surprised I made it all the way into work with the amount of broken glass I was running over. It was like 15 miles of the 17 miles in was covered with broken glass.

Luckily, my wife was like a mile and a half away visiting a friend and picked me up. Hey, it's bike TO work day. No one said anything about riding home.

Let's just say, I barely remember laying down to sleep last night.
    Last edited by ryball; 05-15-2009 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the chuckle. Next time tell dad to buy his own C clamps.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My wife said she had a dream that we were all in a really bad car accident. She really did not want me to bike in yesterday.

It took me until the headset to think to myself that maybe God was trying to stop me from riding in.

bi-winning
    Thanks for sharing that with us.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

No-Brakes Cougar
    What a comedy of errors! Glad to see that you never gave up.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    Glad you got into work and are still riding every day you can!

FWIW, I would have banged the cups in with a hammer and a 2x4 so I coudl get some sleep. That's me, though, I don't mind periodically hitting a bike with a hammer...let's it know who is boss.

I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Earl
    Glad you got into work and are still riding every day you can!

FWIW, I would have banged the cups in with a hammer and a 2x4 so I coudl get some sleep. That's me, though, I don't mind periodically hitting a bike with a hammer...let's it know who is boss.

Sometimes I think zero sleep is better than 30 min. sleep.

Members who have read this thread: 0