My $50 commuter conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My $50 commuter conversion

Finally got around to converting my 29er HT mountian to strait up commuter. Had the bull bars lying around and couldn't pass up Performance's Forte Gotham 700x35 at $14.99 each. So I put $30 in for tires and another $12 for three tubes in 700x35. I was going to add a rigid front fork but I like the idea of getting my money back with some commutes to work before spending the money on a rigid fork. I drive a Lexus GS430, so it won't take long to pay for the tires and tubes. He'll, i might just say F it and keep it like it is. A big thanks to "JonathanGennick" on the info about the tire conversion, worked out perfect.

When the **** did we get ice cream?

weirdo
    Not much converting, but it looks pretty groovey- ought to do the trick. Have you started comuting on it yet? It should be a piece of cake to get your 50 bucks back. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Not yet, working the late shift which puts me on the road right when the drunks are getting out of the bars, so I only commute on the day shifts. Going to be putting 30 miles a day on it next week.

weirdo
    Yeah, riding at night has some advantages, but extra drunks aren`t one of those bennies. Do you have rotating shifts, or is it a relatively permanent change?

mtbr member
    It rotates. Everytime a bike down here gets hit its always after 2:00 am and the biker is not wearing any reflective gear or lights, but if a real drunk is all over the place, I don't care what you have on, he won't see it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Post back how you like those tires. I am looking for some cheap commuter tires for my 29er converted to commuter, the small block 8s on it now I'd rather save for the trails.

Also, could you post the link for this "conversion"? Or explan
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Well, I'll tell you this I went to my LBS that sells Specialized and they had tires that cost twice as much and the tread was thinner on the Specialized tires. The Forte tires have are pretty thick were the tire meets the road. There not going to win any weight contest but they will be more resistant to flats. They went on a little tight, but thats probably becuase they are 700 size. I def noticed it alot easier to pedal up the hills on my commute to work. My commute is 14.5 (one way) miles and I would say that I knocked off 8-10 minutes of my commute depending on the wind direction and speed. For the $14.99 price, I simply cannot complain about these tires. You won't want to take these on any crazy trails, put for a path that is flat and not rocky (like a path thru a city park), it will get byy. You will def notice that they are not as cush as your normal mt bike tires, but these are 700X35. I'm pretty sure that if Specialzed or some other company put there names on the side, this tire would be in the $30 plus range. Would I buy these again, for the money, you bet your sweet ass I would. With gas at $4 a gallon, these tires are a no brainer. The reviews at Performance on these tires were all pretty dang good. Here's a close up.

Also, could you post the link for this "conversion"?
    Not sure what you mean by this.

Last edited by crclawn; 05-16-2011 at 07:59 PM.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn
    I drive a Lexus GS430, so it won't take long to pay for the tires and tubes.
    Is that the one that looks like it was carved out of a bar of soap???
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Not sure what you mean by this.
    You had posted in your first post about the tire conversion,
    A big thanks to "JonathanGennick" on the info about the tire conversion, worked out perfect
    I must have just been tired when I read that and assumed there was some special conversion to run the tires...
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Naw, the mech at Performance said that the tires were not wide enought but I have read a ton of people using this size tire on a 29er rim and Johnathan confirmed it for me. It works fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good looking bike and good call on the Forte Gotham tires. Now just ride the hell out it!

mtbr member
    Well, the $50 dollar conversion is now up to $130 because I swapped out the old forks with some Voodoo Zombie forks. The tires now have 600 miles on them with only one flat and that was due to a piece of wire about 4 inches long. My commute has glass and crap all over it and only one flat in 600 miles is pretty amazing for tires that cost $15 bucks. The tread is holding up very well. No regrets what so ever on the tires. I'll be adding a Avenir riser stem next week for a more up right ride.

Here she is with the Voodoo forks.

mtbr member
    sweet commuter.
    You may be quick, but I'll knock you over

~Disc~Golf~
    I like the grocery bag holders
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Is that the one that looks like it was carved out of a bar of soap???
    nah that's the lexus sc430

Members who have read this thread: 0