Muscle recovery and riding after work.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Muscle recovery and riding after work.

Anyone have any ideas on helping muscle recovery? I have been riding daily for the past month or so to work and have been riding trails, roads, etc after work. I have had sore quads for most of the whole time. I ride long rides on the weekends usually (very relaxed rides of around 20-30 miles) and trails as well on the weekends. I took a break from riding today to give my legs some rest as my right knee has started hurting in the past few days.

Any help would be great.
    '08 Fisher Marlin
    Heavy Rider mod

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Really you need at least one rest day out of seven...

Sometimes if you get really intense you need another rest day...

Rest day means no riding or at most 5 km of the most gentle cruising no raised heartbeat.

On occasion I do 500 km without a rest takes 10 to 14 days, I really notice the muscles breaking down near the end....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Protein...1 gram for every 10 pounds of body weight within 30 minutes after each ride. Protein allows muscle tissue to heal. Also, give yourself AT LEAST 1 day off per week. The only time I ride on weekends anymore is if I don't get my 5 roundtrip commutes (25 miles each) in during the week. Also find that interval training 2 days per week during the commute rides builds long term endurance faster than anything.
    Last edited by citybiker; 05-23-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Bloody Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by citybiker
    Protein...1 gram for every pound of body weight within 30 minutes after each ride. Protein allows muscle tissue to heal. Also, give yourself AT LEAST 1 day off per week. The only time I ride on weekends anymore is if I don't get my 5 roundtrip commutes (25 miles each) in during the week. Also find that interval training 2 days per week during the commute rides builds long term endurance faster than anything.
    So I'd be taking in about 175 grams of protein after each ride? Wow. That's like 5 meals all at once! Perhaps you meant you should take in 1 gram of protein per every pound of body weight per day?

I've been a big fan of protein supplements such as Whey and Mega Mass, especially when I used to weight train often. I just started on a high protein diet, so it should all work out.
    Last edited by Blu Falcon; 05-24-2008 at 11:49 AM.

nathan bay
    Apr 2007
    Bike fit?

Bloody Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan bay
    Bike fit?
    Don't know about the OP, but for me it's more like overexertion without adequate recovery time. My bike fits me just fine.

mtbr member
    Take a day off each week. Those long slow rides aren't providing adequate recovery for you.
    "Rejoice...Rejoice...We have no choice...But, to carry on" - Crosby Stills & Nash

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Falcon, Sorry I got my Protein math wrong. I edited my post. Thanks for making me double check!!!!

Bloody Bastard
    Falcon, Sorry I got my Protein math wrong. I edited my post. Thanks for making me double check!!!!

No worries, brother biker. I knew what you meant to say. But if you're ever in my neck of the woods you can buy the first round of Red Stripe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    mmmmmm...beeeeeerr..that's my kind of Protein...(it does have protein, doesn't it?) If you are ever going to be in Denver, let me know....we'll do the bike/brew pub tour. Beer is on me!!!!!

Bloody Bastard
    mmmmmm...beeeeeerr..that's my kind of Protein...(it does have protein, doesn't it?) If you are ever going to be in Denver, let me know....we'll do the bike/brew pub tour. Beer is on me!!!!!

Hell, man. I wish I knew you a couple years ago. I used to live in the Springs. Still own a house down there as a matter of fact. I plan to go back on occasion to handle business with my property and/or to visit old friends both in the Springs and Denver. I'll take you up on that when I'm back in town.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Looking forward to it Falcon...PM me and I'll send you my contact info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks guys! I used to be a powerlifter about a year ago. I took in protein like it was going out of style. I guess I need to get back on a slightly lower dosage than I was and get back on my good multi(Animal Pak, amazing stuff!) and start back on Fish/Flaxseed Oil. I have never really been an aerobic workout kind of guy. More strength than anything else and I didn't figure I would need to supplement like I did while I was lifting. But, I will try it with some rest and see how it goes.

Thanks!
    '08 Fisher Marlin
    Heavy Rider mod

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The day's rest did wonders! Commuting uphill on knobbies still stinks. But, it's a good workout(short but good).
    '08 Fisher Marlin
    Heavy Rider mod

Members who have read this thread: 0