Mudguards and disc brakes

Printable View

• 02-06-2009
    Dazed
    Mudguards and disc brakes
    I need recommendations on full size mudguards for 700x35C tires with stays that are compatible with disk brakes?

Any suggestions?
  • 02-06-2009
    Skooks
    By mud-guards I assume that you mean fenders? I have never had a problem mounting standard fenders on disc-equipped bikes. You sometimes need to bend the stays a bit to clear the brake calipers but that is easy enough to do. If your frame does not have mounting eyelets on the drop-outs you can either buy fenders that clamp on to the frame or else use tie-wraps or hose-clamps to attach the stays to the frame. Look for fenders with at least 2 sets of stays. A single stay is not enough to prevent the front fender from catching on the tire and folding up into the fork. A friend had this happen to him and the results were ugly (front wheel stopped completely).
  • 02-06-2009
    Tweezak
    I have a rack on the back and on the disc side I used a P-clamp to affix the fender stays to the rack. It is very solid because of the increased angle of the stays and the fact that they are much shorter than normal. I'll try to remember to post a picture later.
  • 02-06-2009
    88 rex
    I can try to snap pics tomorrow, but I have Planet bike fenders in the hybrid size (up to 35c tires) on my La Cruz. It has discs, and I run 35c tires. Love'em. Fenders are awesome.
  • 02-07-2009
    Dazed
    Great. Thanks! Yes. "mudguards" is British for "fenders", I guess.
  • 02-07-2009
    Tweezak
    Here's my setup. The fenders are very skinny Planet Bike ones and are almost too skinny for my 28mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. However, the mounting is very solid and I don't get any rub even in rough conditions.

For the rear wheel, the stays had to be bent at both ends because they mount far outboard of the frame. This widened stance and the shortened stays makes the rear fender mount hell for stout. The shop suggested putting the P-clamp on the bike frame but I did not want to damage my paint so I mounted it to the rack. I'm glad I did.

Here's the front wheel:

Rear wheel:

Rear wheel closeup:
  • 02-09-2009
    88 rex

• 02-10-2009
    irrah
    SKS chromoplastic very solid . Little twisting.

• 02-15-2009
    jasevr4
    What would be the smallest fenders I could fit some 700x37c's under?
  • 02-16-2009
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Probably 45cm. If you were feeling adventurous you could try squeezing them under 35cms. Might have to do a bit of bending.
  • 02-16-2009
    jasevr4
    cheers gary
  • 02-16-2009
    fux
    I have planet bike mudguards and they came with a spacer to clear the caliper.
  • 02-17-2009
    jgsatl
    same here. don't know if they have a 'disc' option that i purchased or just come with one....
  • 02-17-2009
    fux