Mtb commuter 26" mpd?- Mtbr.com

Poll: How many miles round trip on a 26" MTB each day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Mtb commuter 26" mpd?

I am curious to those who ride a MTB 26" tires for commuting how many miles do you ride round trip a day to work?

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm on 29ers now, but I used to ride a 26" 6 miles to work (one way) every day. It's really not that big of a difference.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Ex-Clydesdale
    17 miles one way
    Last edited by Dwayne; 09-11-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Making due...
    About 15 miles round trip, running WTB Weirwolf 2.1's at the moment. Planning on slicker tires or maybe even a 700c conversion (since apparently they'll fit on my old Trek) sometime soon.
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    so far I am getting results I didn't expect. I thought most people who ride MTB would be in the 5-10 total range.

d77
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    12.5 miles each way.

Making due...
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    so far I am getting results I didn't expect. I thought most people who ride MTB would be in the 5-10 total range.
    Polling sample is likely biased given the nature of the site

Also, older CroMo 26" MTB's make great commuters and seem fairly popular among those here (including myself).
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    When you say "26" MTB tires", do you mean you're looking for folks riding knobby trail tires, or just 26" tires in general? I'm sure a lot of the higher mileage results are people using street slicks or similar.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I was referring more to the 26" tire size. I was not being picky about type of 26" tires used. I was thinking most people commuting over 10 miles round trip would be more Road Bike usage. I have an old rigid Univega I am planning on setting up for commuting for my 22 mile round trip. I won't be there physically till next year at my given rate but I will have it ready by then.

CB of the East
    Mine's 25 miles round trip. I ride both 26" & 700c but in the winter I ride the 26" bikes every day. Even on a 12.5 mile leg the time difference between taking a road bike and a mountain bike is minimal. On my flat route, no wind I can manage 19mph on the road bike for a commute time of about 39.5 minutes. At about the same effort I do it at 17mph on the mountain bike for a commute time of 44 min.

Bedwards Of The West
    The vast majority of commuters out there are probably riding too-small 26" walmart MTBs with bar ends sticking straight up, on the sidewalk... but they'll never show up in this forum to talk about it
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    8 miles each way on bonty slicks. Nice ride, keeps me acquainted with the bike when I actually get to ride it on a trail.

Huckin' trails
    College commute gets me a nice effortless 5km round trip... that's why I do it on a cheap FS bike during winter with 26" wheels, and mostly using knobbies since I feel more at home. But I tend to keep it cheap, so I got a few 1.95 Kenda tires for the front, which I find quite decent even in snow (considering it's a cheap and not wide tire) and I even DIY studded one for winter.

Mtb commuter 26" mpd?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349187487.935508.jpg

On the rear I tend to go with the widest, most mud shredder one I can find in my tire pile for the winter and I usually use the generic type Kenda ones in 1.9 during summer. The one I used last winter and gave me very impressive results was the Duro Maverik Demolition in 2.3". I also studded this tire and while the traction on an ice skating ring was okay, it really made a difference between clearing a steep climb on hard pack snow/slushy pavement or having to push the bike.

Mtb commuter 26" mpd?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349188124.172945.jpg

Mtb commuter 26" mpd?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349188389.155150.jpg

But if I were to commute on a longer distance, I'd go for slick tires, maybe something along a 1.9 or 2.0 to account for the rainy days. Though I had good success this summer using a semi-knobby one in 1.95" for both traction and rolling resistance.

Mtb commuter 26" mpd?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349188617.854357.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have well over a year of commuting between 6 to 8 miles each way on 26" tires. I don't know if there is that much of a difference. I have ridden plenty of metric centuries (62+ miles) on 26" tires. I even have a buddy that accompanied me on an imperial century (about 116 miles) on 26" tires.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Did a minimum of 7 miles round trip for over 3 years on a 26er, starting with knobbies then moving to slicks. Now it's a minimum round trip of 9 miles on my 29er with slicks (I say minimum as I usually choose to ride more)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    12 miles one way.

since 4/10/2009
    in the past I did an infrequent bike commute on my FS mtb that was in the 12mi one way range. It was hilly and quite a scenic route.

I didn't do it often, though, because the roads were narrow with no shoulder to let cars pass and I had many close calls with school buses in relatively few rides. I just wasn't comfortable with the route.

Usually, my commutes have been shorter. My current one which is about 7mi RT, I did at first on a 26" mtb. The bike was really set up for trail use. I could have modified it for more efficient use on the roads (better road tires, rigid fork, more aero riding position, taller gearing) but decided I'd rather just build up a whole bike and so I wound up with 700c wheels. Same 7mi commute, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0