Moved In Town- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moved In Town

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Moved In Town

I sold the big house in the country, bought a small one in the city, put the balance in an annuity. I have a grocery store 2 miles away, barber 1 mile away, many good local eateries and I haven't driven the truck except to get dog food. I'd almost forgotten how much better a bicycle is for general purpose, well, everything in town. I've been exploring neighborhoods and finding shortcuts which aren't feasible in a 4 wheel vehicle.
    AND today I found some dirt to play in! It has a steep downhill single track in an area that most likely will never be developed. Next time I'll take it uphill. It's short, so my old legs should do OK. I was gonna go back to the 26X1.5 Nashbar Streetwise tires, but after this 'discovery' I'll stick with the 1.7 Kenda Kwicks.
    Also plan on getting a trailer for said dog food once a month.
    I'm in heaven!!
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

mtbr member
    Sounds good to me! Glad the move is working out for you dude.
    2018 commutes - 26 days, 542 miles

Cycologist
    A bike is the perfect way to explore. I wish I had more time to do so, when I lived in Japan I loved exploring adventures on my bike, I've got lots or great memories from those days.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    if you find yourself wanting to do everyday things on a bike, but are pressed to make it happen with what you are riding ... consider a cargo bike!

I have a BFD; bakfiets are becoming more popular in the western US as of late, it seems. I like being able to hit trails with friends directly from work on occasion, but if you were pavement-only, a bakfiet is basically an improved, human-powered small car!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by high_desert_mud View Post
    if you find yourself wanting to do everyday things on a bike, but are pressed to make it happen with what you are riding ... consider a cargo bike!

I have a BFD; bakfiets are becoming more popular in the western US as of late, it seems. I like being able to hit trails with friends directly from work on occasion, but if you were pavement-only, a bakfiet is basically an improved, human-powered small car!
    I've considered a cargo bike, but space is at a premium. A trailer for my current ride is more practicable. I see Burley trailers and the like for under 50 bucks on Craigslist. I can hang something like that in my small garage. In the mean time I have a pair of cheap panniers that are serving the purpose. That, my rack trunk and a back pack gets the job done. I just got a small bag of dog food which filled both panniers. My puppies got food. They don't seem to care how much I got as long as they don't run out.
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!