• 03-04-2015
    vassock
    Motorcycle helmet for bicycle
    I was looking for a helmet that had a visor option, primarily for rocks and extremely cold weather. I saw only full face motorcycle helmets within a reasonable price range. Is it feasible to use a motorcycle helmet instead of a bike helmet when riding a bike?
  • 03-04-2015
    Rustedthrough
    I'd be surprised if the full face moto helmet didn't fog up quickly. Have you considered snowboard goggles and helmets for the cold weather?
  • 03-05-2015
    tigris99
    I wouldn't, its heavy and complete overkill. Well for anything you say is reasonably priced vs a full face mtb helmet. Remember you get what u pay for and full face helmet is going to do little for the cold, a proper mask/balaclava will do far better at keeping you warm. That why snowmobilers' still have masks on underneath.

    Helmets are one thing not to cheap out on, cause you'll end up buying twice. A motorcycle rated helmet that isn't heavy and crappy is going to cost as much if not more than a full face cycling helmet.
  • 03-05-2015
    TenSpeed
    Second vote for snowboarding helmet and goggles paired with a balaclava. That is what I use and it works extremely well.
  • 03-05-2015
    mtbxplorer
    1 Attachment(s)
    I was tempted to try one of these when I saw it on sale, but decided against it because the magnetic shield was gray, so not optimal for winter's darkness. Giro's site says a clear shield is available, but they don't have it in stock. As long as it was sized to fit thin to thick hats underneath, it would be warm enough. Not as airtight as goggles, but it would work on most days here in VT.

    Air Attack? Shield Aerodynamic Track Cycling Helmet

    sale on some colors/sizes Giro Air Attack Shield Bike Helmet - REI.com
  • 03-05-2015
    tim300wsm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Helmets are one thing not to cheap out on, cause you'll end up buying twice. A motorcycle rated helmet that isn't heavy and crappy is going to cost as much if not more than a full face cycling helmet.

    I ride a motorcycle and Tigris is right. My shoei x12 was over 800. A cheap moto helmet will be bulky and super heavy
  • 03-05-2015
    blockphi
    I use just a standard MTB helmet year round in Alaska. During the coldest times I simply wear a buff under a fleece hat under the helmet.

    The helmet has a visor and I wear a pair of amber lensed sun glasses to keep the eyeballs from freezing.

    I don't wear anything on my face, regardless of how cold it gets because I haven't found anything that doesn't eventually freeze over the breathing holes. I also haven't found anything that insulates as well as a beard does once it freezes over.
  • 03-05-2015
    Harold
    Beards are awesome in wintertime. I shave mine off occasionally in summer to stay cool...but the most I do in winter is trim it so I keep the wind blocking and insulation properties.

    I also wouldn't touch a motorcycle helmet for winter riding. I wear a regular bicycle helmet throughout winter, with only a Buff underneath. I run hot, so too much insulation is a bigger problem for me than not enough. For the eyes, I just wear regular glasses with good ventilation. They'll fog if I stop moving, but they clear up pretty much instantly if I have any air movement. I've used this arrangement down to right around 0F this winter. For the coldest rides, I added a second Buff. To start the ride, I'd use that Buff over my face, but once I got warmed up, I pulled it down to cover my neck and left the face exposed because a wet/frozen piece of fabric over your face sucks.
  • 03-05-2015
    CommuterBoy
    Snowboard helmet/goggles for super cold days for me. I like a very thin 'clava. The thicker ones freeze up and get nasty, but the thin ones work for me. For whatever reason I only get a blast of fog in the goggles when exhaling while looking down at the front derailleur.

    Chain rubbing? Let me hold my breath and check... :lol:
  • 03-05-2015
    jeffscott
    I have a bike helmet that looks like a motorcycle helmet, light but it covers my ears.

    I bought snowmobile googles with a nose protector designed to fit motorcycle helmets...with all the cold weather google stuff.

    With the helmet the googles and nose protector and a thin open face balaclava..

    I can ride for much longer than an hour at -36C. No frost, No fog.

    My feet and boots can last only about 45 minutes so.....who knows how cold or long the head could last.

    My point probably want to check out snowmobile stuff for winter issues.
  • 03-05-2015
    ghettocruiser
    I've been using a Fox (bicycle) fullface for winter use (say below -5c) for almost ten years. Worn with goggles and a neoprene mask, no additional insulation is needed to about -20C

    I've tried (and occasionally continue to use) various other combinations of snowboard helmets, bike helmets with balaclavas, etc, but the FF remains my go-to most days of the winter.

    In fact, when I saw them on sale cheap a few years back I bought another one to be my "nice" DH helmet and relegated the old one to winter riding with taped-up vents and some added reflective piping.

    A big DH -type visor is also nice to keep (at least the top half of) the goggles clean in snow or freezing rain.... but this will obviously not work with road spray.

    I would think a pure moto lid with a built-in visor would not work as well managing heat from the head, even if it was something light made of carbon or whatever.
  • 03-05-2015
    vassock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I've been using a Fox (bicycle) fullface for winter use (say below -5c) for almost ten years. Worn with goggles and a neoprene mask, no additional insulation is needed to about -20C

    I've tried (and occasionally continue to use) various other combinations of snowboard helmets, bike helmets with balaclavas, etc, but the FF remains my go-to most days of the winter.

    In fact, when I saw them on sale cheap a few years back I bought another one to be my "nice" DH helmet and relegated the old one to winter riding with taped-up vents and some added reflective piping.

    A big DH -type visor is also nice to keep (at least the top half of) the goggles clean in snow or freezing rain.... but this will obviously not work with road spray.

    I would think a pure moto lid with a built-in visor would not work as well managing heat from the head, even if it was something light made of carbon or whatever.

    What do you guys think of the HJC Evolve CL-MAX Full Face Flip Up Modular Snowmobile Helmet W/ Clear Shield? Too heavy? Obstructs vision?

    Or should I just give it up and get a helmet plus glasses and balaclava?
  • 03-05-2015
    Rustedthrough
    Just looked at a few HJC snowmobile helmets online, didn't see that particular model. They look like they would be limited to a few months of use, heavy, and expensive relative to a good bike helmet, goggles, and mask or balaclava.

    Bike specific full face helmets would likely be a better bet than the snowmobile line- up, but they are also probably more expensive than a good all- season helmet and a few pairs of googles and a face mask or two.
  • 03-06-2015
    jeffscott
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Just looked at a few HJC snowmobile helmets online, didn't see that particular model. They look like they would be limited to a few months of use, heavy, and expensive relative to a good bike helmet, goggles, and mask or balaclava.

    Bike specific full face helmets would likely be a better bet than the snowmobile line- up, but they are also probably more expensive than a good all- season helmet and a few pairs of googles and a face mask or two.

    Face masks will cause frost fog and snot buildup. To get away from that you need the nose protector. This diverts the warm moist air away from the google intakes and out into the slipstream.

    So unless you like a bunch of snot and drool running down the front of your face....
  • 03-06-2015
    TenSpeed
    I have never had an issue with my goggle fogging, however I did bite the bullet and went with expensive Oakley's with all kinds of ventilation to prevent fogging. I can look directly down at my bike, breathe, and there is no fogging at all.

    A snowboard helmet and goggles really is a great setup for cold weather riding. Cover the lower part of your face however you need to, balaclava, gaiter, etc. and you will be good to go. I cannot imagine that a full face mountain bike helmet offers much in wind blocking and warmth.
  • 03-06-2015
    jeffscott
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I have never had an issue with my goggle fogging, however I did bite the bullet and went with expensive Oakley's with all kinds of ventilation to prevent fogging. I can look directly down at my bike, breathe, and there is no fogging at all.

    A snowboard helmet and goggles really is a great setup for cold weather riding. Cover the lower part of your face however you need to, balaclava, gaiter, etc. and you will be good to go. I cannot imagine that a full face mountain bike helmet offers much in wind blocking and warmth.

    what kind of Face Mask do you use?
  • 03-06-2015
    ghettocruiser
    I've mentioned this before, but IMO goggle fogging is an individual thing. I also never fog mine up no matter what I do, but other riders in identical conditions fog them within minutes of the start of the ride.

    I must have way less circulation to my face... which is probably why it's cold enough that I need goggles to begin with.
  • 03-06-2015
    jeffscott
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I've mentioned this before, but IMO goggle fogging is an individual thing. I also never fog mine up no matter what I do, but other riders in identical conditions fog them within minutes of the start of the ride.

    I must have way less circulation to my face... which is probably why it's cold enough that I need goggles to begin with.

    What type of face amsk do you use?
  • 03-06-2015
    ghettocruiser
    Pretty close to this:



    With fleece around the neck.
  • 03-06-2015
    jeffscott
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Pretty close to this:



    With fleece around the neck.

    Nice so when it gets cold do you get frost build up around the mouth vents holes?

    and under the nose piece?
  • 03-06-2015
    gsa103
    Motorcycle helmets will be overkill and are potentially less effective than a bike helmet in a bike crash. Helmets are typically designed around impact speeds, and a motorcycle helmet will be designed for 40+ mph impacts. Additionally, they are significantly heavier and therefore more likely to cause neck strains in minor falls.

    A lightweight full-face helmet is probably a better option. Kali now has a FF helmet that is DoT certified but significantly lighter than most helmets.
  • 03-06-2015
    ghettocruiser
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Nice so when it gets cold do you get frost build up around the mouth vents holes? and under the nose piece?

    Basically everything under the neoprene nose piece and the entire inside of the fullface chinbar turns white. I have been tempted to post a photo of this to my facebook feed, but I have refrained, as they already think I..... have a poor sense of matching outdoor activities to the weather.

    As long as the mask *is not under* the foam of the googles, they don't fog.
  • 03-06-2015
    jeffscott
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Basically everything under the neoprene nose piece and the entire inside of the fullface chinbar turns white. I have been tempted to post a photo of this to my facebook feed, but I have refrained, as they already think I..... have a poor sense of matching outdoor activities to the weather.

    As long as the mask *is not under* the foam of the googles, they don't fog.

    yup dont need to see anymore pictures of a fask mask coated in frost...

    Also dont need to read anymore posts about fask masks inhibiting breathing...

    There are solutions out there that result in NO FROST, NO FOG, and NO Frostbite and not breathing restrictions.

    They are usually based on snowmobile googles with or without full coverage helmets.
  • 03-06-2015
    ghettocruiser
    When I was shopping for goggles 7 or 8 years ago I looked at snowcross goggles. IIRC the appeal was that they combined a more abrasion-resistant outer lense, like a MX google, with a double-lens fog resistant set-up, like a snowboard google. Plus warmth of a built-in noseguard.

    At the time, though, I couldn't find a snowcross googles with an untinted lens option for riding at night, so I ended up going with regular snowboarding goggles and a spare clear lens.

    I've never really noticed breathing impairment in the neoprene mask even with ice building up. I guess I don't use all that much air riding in the cold...