motivation- Mtbr.com

Thread: motivation

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

motivation

299, 285, 275, 265, 256, 275, 277...

I can't get any motivation. Where is my motivation? ...............

Excited about race season? Sure.

Find motivation to train for race season? Not really.

Motivation to eat right? Will you pass the gumbo, extra rice, and then some ice cream.

Motivation to find a girlfriend? Oh hell no. I don't want the girls that accept me looking like this.

Sick of seeing everyone else get faster? Yeah some what but I guess not enough to do anything about it.

Help, advise, suggestions, comments, questions, any completely off subject matter to add?
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

mtbr member
    Do you ever ride with others? I do 90% of my riding alone, but a good friend of mine just ordered themselves a bike due to my talking about how much I enjoy it all of the time. They don't even have the bike yet and I've been riding daily just because I'm excited.

See if you can find a new group to ride with maybe?

weirdo
    Lower expectations?
    It works for me
    Recalculating....

Beastrider
    Whenever I head out for a ride I try and find a slightly different way to go each time. Sure, there are times that I have to go the same way. However, that's one of the great things about riding. You can always find a "different" way to go.

Where I live I ride alone 99.9% of the time. It seems that most of the "organized" rides are always designed for those that want to go as fast as possible from point A to point B. And that's NOT the way that I ride. EVER.

I learned a long, LONG time ago to enjoy the ride, not get in a huge hurry, and to stop whenever I feel like it to take a few photos as I always have my camera with me.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Fresh air in the face beats stale air in my cage( car). I like to bike, it is the only motivation that I need. My SO loves my sculpted legs. I burn my breakfast fuel to get to work. I'm not a racer, so can't help you there. Maybe set some goals, long and short term. Distance, mileage, days ridden? I'm mostly a mountain biker and commute because i like it. Do you ride off road ? It's a great change pace from the usual pavement, well as a more intense workout. Why race if you're not excited about training.
    Last edited by leeboh; 01-23-2012 at 11:24 AM.

CB of the East
    Keep a log in excel and track some stuff so you can see accomplishments and improvements. I have one that I keep adding fields to to keep track of gas money saved, average speed, calories burned etc. It's pretty motivational to look back and see that I saved $691 in gas alone for the last year or that I burned off the equivalent of 56 lbs of fat.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Keep a log in excel and track some stuff so you can see accomplishments and improvements. I have one that I keep adding fields to to keep track of gas money saved, average speed, calories burned etc. It's pretty motivational to look back and see that I saved $691 in gas alone for the last year or that I burned off the equivalent of 56 lbs of fat.
    I don't even make an attempt at seeing what I save in fuel and other costs. I don't want to turn an enjoyable event into work. I have too much fun just getting out and meeting people.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

CB of the East
    I use the money saved estimates to justify new bikes and parts. It doesn't make it seem like work to me.

big legs, small brains
    I feel your pain.....

I haven't commuted in over a month and my excuse is it's messing with my recovery training for a 12 hour race I have in a month.. Truth is I just needed a break from riding in to work. It's like anything else when you get burned out on it. Take a break and don't beat yourself up about it. Find the joy and the motivation will come again.
    Kyle

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by kylemason View Post
    I feel your pain.....

I haven't commuted in over a month and my excuse is it's messing with my recovery training for a 12 hour race I have in a month.. Truth is I just needed a break from riding in to work. It's like anything else when you get burned out on it. Take a break and don't beat yourself up about it. Find the joy and the motivation will come again.
    Need to take a Saturday or Sunday and just RIDE...........with no particular place in mind as a destination......

Fat-tired Roadie
    Funny to bump into this thread on the commuting forum.

OP - what kind of training plan are you following? When are your events?

I do cyclocross, so between that and school, the tail end of last year was kind of a limbo. I'm in prep. now, and later, I'll be in base. While I do have some faith in the idea that a periodization schedule will make me more faster than just riding a lot, or just increasing miles without doing different types of period, one of the things I really like about periodization is variety.

Have you chosen your races yet?

I also like having teammates, having friends, having a long-lost cousin to ride with, etc. And at the end of the day, this season, for me, is all about balance - riding's not my first priority, and I imagine it never will be. At least, I hope I'll always have more important things in my life. It's not my second priority either this year. I'm happier, and have an easier time getting back onto a schedule, when I don't freak out about screwing up a chunk of it because of issues like my family liking me and wanting me to visit them during the holidays. (Terrible!)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx