Most useful accessory or accessories.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: adonis_abril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    106

    Most useful accessory or accessories.

    Besides a helmet, what's your most useful accessory or accessories?

    I love my smartphone mount. Gives me easy access to Strava, Google maps bike navigation, Backcountry GPS trail, and best of all Music


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Gloves....then eye protection

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,716
    It's hard to think of it in July, but I think my favorite has been my pogies.
    Keep your hands warm with Dogwood Designs pogies made for winter bike riders
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Most useful accessory or accessories.-pogies.jpg  


  4. #4
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    28,716
    lights. no contest here.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: muayteg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by natehawk View Post
    lights. No contest here.
    +1!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dummyrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis_abril View Post
    Besides a helmet, what's your most useful accessory or accessories?

    I love my smartphone mount. Gives me easy access to Strava, Google maps bike navigation, Backcountry GPS trail, and best of all Music


    I do like the idea of the smartphone mount and thought about getting one for my Lumia 800, but I'm paranoid about coming off and breaking it. Seems too exposed. I'm going with my Camelback. I can get everything I need for a days riding in it if I pack smart, and I can take the bladder out for more room when I'm just riding to work and need to fit my lunch and other bits and pieces.

  7. #7
    CB of the East
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,988
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    lights. no contest here.
    +2 But I'll add good lights.
    And I guess a seat pack and pump/inflator & patch kit go without saying.
    Not really an accessory but studded tires in the winter rank right up there too.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    79
    One of these.
    39.5506 N, 107.3242 W

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: adonis_abril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    It's hard to think of it in July, but I think my favorite has been my pogies.
    Keep your hands warm with Dogwood Designs pogies made for winter bike riders
    WoW! Those are some expensive mitts

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: adonis_abril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Dummyrunner View Post
    I do like the idea of the smartphone mount and thought about getting one for my Lumia 800, but I'm paranoid about coming off and breaking it. Seems too exposed.
    I had a cheap one I bought off ebay for $4, it broke...this one I'm using haven't failed me yet and I've even taken it to the trails

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newfangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_exhaust View Post
    One of these.
    That's awesome. I had no idea that such a thing existed, but now I'll have to be on the lookout (the canadian equivalent of REI doesn't stock them, unfortunately)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    lights. no contest here.
    Yes.

    Although if I need them between May and August, I'm working way too late or way too early.

    My only real summer accessory (that I wouldn't use for general riding) is a hi-viz lime rain cover for my pack.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    435
    my life changed when i bought a decent light.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis_abril View Post
    I had a cheap one I bought off ebay for $4, it broke...this one I'm using haven't failed me yet and I've even taken it to the trails
    I have a Spiderpodium, believe it or not, it will hold your phone with a death grip. $20 on Amazon. I liked it so much I bought a couple more for the cars, they work like a champ. I was pretty skeptical at first, but there are multiple videos on youtube of people just slinging these things around with phones in them, and they hold.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,094
    disposable gloves. having a flat in the morning is already bad enough. getting to the office with oily fingers would make it even worse.

  16. #16
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,567

    These

    and they dont take up any of the room needed for BEER

    <img src=https://www.backcountry.com/images/items/medium/PAR/PAR0176/ONECOL.jpg>

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Couch Bike Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    214
    Handlebar bag

  18. #18
    Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Reputation: hunter006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    452
    I think I can't settle on one. Here's my top 2:
    A Blink Steady light. You can read about it here.

    I love my Garmin Edge 800. I think the battery life blows, the accessories are fragile and Garmin couldn't write good software to save their lives, but it's probably the one accessory I use all year round that I use semi-religiously. I'm contemplating attaching an Altoids battery charger to the underside of the stem to boost the battery on those longer rides.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: adonis_abril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I think I can't settle on one. Here's my top 2:
    A Blink Steady light. You can read about it here.

    I love my Garmin Edge 800. I think the battery life blows, the accessories are fragile and Garmin couldn't write good software to save their lives, but it's probably the one accessory I use all year round that I use semi-religiously. I'm contemplating attaching an Altoids battery charger to the underside of the stem to boost the battery on those longer rides.
    That's cool man...I haven't really commuted at night yet, I have a cheapo LED handle bar mounted flash light so far...but as winter approaches I might need to start looking into rear and front lighting solutions....I was looking at the Garmin Edge recently, that's one expensive gadget, lol. I wish they could cram all that software and features into a Smartphone - I hate having several different gadgets....I got rid of all my Garmin GPS unit once they released an app for my smartphone that does the same thing - I use it for multi-day backcountry backpacking trips and doesn't even need data connection, just Satellite.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis_abril View Post
    That's cool man...I haven't really commuted at night yet, I have a cheapo LED handle bar mounted flash light so far...but as winter approaches I might need to start looking into rear and front lighting solutions....I was looking at the Garmin Edge recently, that's one expensive gadget, lol. I wish they could cram all that software and features into a Smartphone - I hate having several different gadgets....I got rid of all my Garmin GPS unit once they released an app for my smartphone that does the same thing - I use it for multi-day backcountry backpacking trips and doesn't even need data connection, just Satellite.
    I bought one of these lights recently: ****NEW**** ShiningBeam Blaze XM-L T6 Tactical LED Flashlight "Clearance "

    I gotta say that the medium setting is very adequate for night time riding. The high setting is freaking awesome if not a bit over the top. The down side is that you need lithium batteries, about $10-18 ea, and a charger, about $17.

  21. #21
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,453
    Fenders deserve a mention.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: phoenixnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    538
    Garmin edge 650
    And my Camelback mule

    Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

  23. #23
    I'm attracted to Gravity!
    Reputation: campredcloudbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    598
    Good lights
    Reflective tape!
    Frame bag
    OMM rack
    homemade pannier/shoulder bag (going strong at close to 5000 miles)

    Really, its a whole dialed system, you can't really separate out which pieces are more important.
    You need to be both safe and able to carry luggage.

  24. #24
    Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Reputation: hunter006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by campredcloudbikes View Post
    Really, its a whole dialed system, you can't really separate out which pieces are more important.
    You need to be both safe and able to carry luggage.
    Never a truer word spoken. (zip ties, duct tape )

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,762
    I'll list my top three,

    rear view mirror, lights (good ones that I can see with as well as be seen), and a rack and bag system.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.