Most secure type of bag for commuting and school- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Most secure type of bag for commuting and school

Hello all, before I get burned alive, I would like to say I have searched the fora, but did not quite find an answer to my question. In a little under two months, I go back to school, and am looking for a bag that will work for commuting and for school (carrying textbooks). I will constantly have at least 3 large heavy textbooks in there, and would like to know what will stay most secure on my back, while also being comfortable? I am currently looking at Chrome's Backbone and Metropolis, Sealline's Urban Backpack, and a Baileyworks bag. I will also use this as my grocery (read beer) shopping bag, so I am looking at largest sizes available. Also, I've been pouring over the various mfg. sites, but cannot find a "maximum weight" column; how much can these bags hold? I'm looking for probably 25-30lbs and more. Thoughts? Thanks in advance guys!

mtbr member
    I use the Metropolis bag for commuting and have no complaints. I don’t know if I ever packed it up 30lbs but have probably been 15-20 with no problem. It’s a well crafted and stout bag and quite comfortable even when stuffed pretty full.

Depending on how hot it is where you are and how intense your commute is might render some sweatage with the Chrome bag. Here in the swamp it’s not nearly as bad you would think but I do occasionally get a sweat line around the strap. Others may suggest panniers which convert to backpacks, but I like carrying things on my back over making my bike heavier. The fabric and design of the Chrome bags make it very adequate in tight conditions (I commute through some narrow underground walkways and could snag things) but the Metropolis stays put.

I have an old TimBuk2 bag I use for school but I drive to the next town so I can’t bike. The Metropolis makes for a good backpack mock when not secured to your back also.

Let us know what you end up with and how it works.

Members who have read this thread: 0