Morning thoughts...- Mtbr.com
    Digital Toast

Morning thoughts...

I stopped at the traffic light on the top of the hill on my way to work this morning with four cars. When the light turned green the first two roared away jockeying for first and second place. The next two cars were much less enthusiastic about placement and just took there respective places in third and fourth. However as I pedaled around the corner and they pulled away, I really felt like I was the one in first place. Because I'm the one behind the handlebars not the steering wheel.

mtbr member
    You are correct!
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was thinking it might rain this afternoon.
    Last edited by jeffscott; 08-29-2012 at 02:14 PM.

mtbr member
    I keep having people honk at me and wave as they drive by and later at work I hear..."Hey, I saw you riding this morning! I waved at you!".

People here are so perplexed that I'd WANT to ride my bike instead of drive my car.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

Digital Toast
    I get the same thing. Lately it's been "Hey biker guy".

CB of the East
    I was thinking I should have worn an heavier coat.

Natural Born Killer
    There was a big pickup truck behind me as I rode up a fairly steep hill this morning on a narrow 2 lane country blacktop. He wisely(and thankfully) decided to stay behind me till we topped the hill and he had a clear view down the other side. He then vented his frustration at the wait by flooring his truck as he went by me. My only thoughts on the matter were "I wonder how much gasoline he just wasted?".
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL, I love these threads. Always love watching the perplexed people as I go down a straight away doing 25mph keeping up with traffic. Then I get to work only to find that the person that went screaming past me was still getting out of their car as I am pulling up to the door. Now I start at 7am so not a lot of people on the road, thankfully, but the looks on peoples faces as they notice me walking in the door before then then hiking my bike on my shoulder with my 20# TOPEAK trunk on the back up three flights of stairs is always gratifying.

Bedwards Of The West
    I thought about how bad skunks stink this morning. Like, from so far away. Such funk. And about how that smell is actually tiny particles of skunk funk that are traveling from that skunk so far away, all the way to my nose, and I'm actually ingesting them. It's amazing, really.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Squirrels usually occupy my mind in the morning, this morning i watched as on big angry squirel chased a smaller one along the top of a fence and bit into it's backside, resulting in the smaller squirell squeling and landing on the ground. And why can't they make up their damn minds when they hit the asphalt, they dart one way, then another, then back the other way - theyr're so indecisive!
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I was thinking it might rain this afternoon.
    Well it is not going to.....so much for morning thoughts.....we need a thread about evening thoughts.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I thought about how bad skunks stink this morning. Like, from so far away. Such funk. And about how that smell is actually tiny particles of skunk funk that are traveling from that skunk so far away, all the way to my nose, and I'm actually ingesting them. It's amazing, really.
    Sorry. I 'pologize.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    People here are so perplexed that I'd WANT to ride my bike instead of drive my car.
    Same here. The majority of the people who ride to work around here are on wal-bikes and aren't driving because they can't afford a car and/or lost their license. People can't seem to understand why anyone would ride to work voluntarily.

This morning I was thinking about a terrifying nightmare I had last night. I can't remember the last time a dream actually bothered me, but this one has been eating away at me all morning.

CB of the East
    This morning I thought, "If I turn here I can add a few miles and not be late" Repeat until false. I was only a little late. I was also thinking I was glad I added that extra layer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Same here. The majority of the people who ride to work around here are on wal-bikes and aren't driving because they can't afford a car and/or lost their license. People can't seem to understand why anyone would ride to work voluntarily.

This morning I was thinking about a terrifying nightmare I had last night. I can't remember the last time a dream actually bothered me, but this one has been eating away at me all morning.
    Funny you said that...

I'm an IT Manager at [ducks head] a large call center. Last week one of the agents stopped me and asked "Why are you riding your bike so much?" I tell him about saving gas, insurance, extending my life, losing my fat belly, that I absolutely love riding bicycles, etc. I can tell he's kind of fishing around and I finally drag it out of him.

He says "Well...you might want to be careful, 'cause you know how people are around here." I say "What the heck are you talking about?"

He says "Well, there's a rumor going around that you got a DUI and that's why you are riding your bike."

I just about fell on the floor laughing and walked away.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

CB of the East
    I'm stuck on the call center name. Who is it? It's just another one of those duck heads calling.

Somebody in another forum suggested a tee shirt that said "I'm doing it for my health, not an OUI"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Can't remember what I was thinking about this morning......

Oh yeah, I passed six riders today, I was wondering where they all came from????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    Funny you said that...

I'm an IT Manager at [ducks head] a large call center. Last week one of the agents stopped me and asked "Why are you riding your bike so much?" I tell him about saving gas, insurance, extending my life, losing my fat belly, that I absolutely love riding bicycles, etc. I can tell he's kind of fishing around and I finally drag it out of him.

He says "Well...you might want to be careful, 'cause you know how people are around here." I say "What the heck are you talking about?"

He says "Well, there's a rumor going around that you got a DUI and that's why you are riding your bike."

I just about fell on the floor laughing and walked away.
    Isn't Colorado all bike friendly? Or is that just a couple cities that I've been to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Can't remember what I was thinking about this morning......

Oh yeah, I passed six riders today, I was wondering where they all came from????
    CAT6 intermediate division preliminaries.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'm stuck on the call center name. Who is it? It's just another one of those duck heads calling.

Moderator Moderator
    Bear season starts Saturday - no wearing black fleece jackets in the woods for awhile.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I was wondering where "Dog Walker Man" was this morning. I see him every morning, year-round, walking his dog along the same stretch of trail. But not today for some reason and I was wondering why.

In fact, since I have started riding to work fulltime I have come to recognize quite a few regulars on the MUP that I keep my eyes open for:

- "Rollerblade man" who has absolutely the worst rollerblading form in the world, but to show that form is not everything, this guy can really move out. He is often with "Amazon Woman" who is at least a foot taller than he is and when they are rollerblading into the wind he always drafts off her.

- "Wacky Walker", a gal who does that speed walking thing with her arms.

- "Crazy Lady", who I often see walking down the trail. She looks like she is homeless and is always carrying a bag stuffed with what looks like garbage and she is usually carrying on a conversation with herself and the sky.

- "Skateboard man", he IS homeless, lives in a little grove of trees off the MUP (I can see the garbage he scatters about through the trees). I often see him walking down the MUP carrying a skateboard. He never rides the skateboard. He also likes to make what I can only describe as caveman noises when I ride by. The police clear him out every once in a while and the city cleans up the mess, but a few weeks later he is back.

- "Bowlegged biker" who I pass many evenings. He really needs to raise his seat. It's painful to watch him ride.

- "Earphones Man" seems to walk every day wearing a HUGE pair of oversized earphones. I wonder what he is listening to. And if he hears me when I call "on your left".
    Last edited by woodway; 08-31-2012 at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Woodway check to see if "Crazy Lady" has a bluetooth hands free earpiece, and watch out for "Skateboard Man"'s strawberries on the trail.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Members who have read this thread: 0