mobile phones and condensation?- Mtbr.com
    ~ B A D A S S ~

mobile phones and condensation?

Just wanted to know if anyone of you have had a phone die on you because of you wearing it one your body while riding to work.

I've been looking into waterproof cases for phones but i wonder if its really worth it. (the don't seem to be quite good any of them if you read the 1000s of reviews on them). I get phones for free at work, but I have a feeling they wont give me a new one every month or so.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A one qt ziplock bag will work. I keep mine in my bag.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I have done the zip-lock thing... works well. I only do it when I'm carrying it in non-waterproof clothing and it's raining. I try not to carry the phone in a pocket because of condensation... it's in the backpack 99% of the time.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    It does get damp in my jersey pocket, especially in the winter.

Ziplock is my solution, but a case that is less... ghetto... looking might be nice if you have a newer phone.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

CB of the East
    Zip-lock sandwich bag. You can use the phone right through the bag even for calls. I also have a Galaxy S5 phone that is waterproof but I still like the insurance of the baggy.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I was in a phone store yesterday and looked at some xperias that were waterproof. Talked to the guy there and he told me they had a warranty issue some time ago. It was an obvious water damage. The maker declined the claim and the guy was out 500 bucks. One of the little lids with the rubber gasket behind it had become worn and was now not waterproof anymore... The phone was less than 6 months old.

So that got me thinking... Waterproof phones must be the best product ever. Because by design they are waterproof, and if nothing is wrong with it from the factory they are working as expected right. And as soon as some water damage occurs its always the customers fault. Since the customer did not check the integrity of the seals on the lids or forgot to close them properly, so its basically neglegance. And then maybe a very small % of phones has some manufacturing fault and those will have to be replaced on the makers dime but those are not very many I guess.

This must be a real gold mine.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

since 4/10/2009
    I was on a super hot ride in TN last summer and killed my phone (temporarily). It was in the top pocket of my pack. I poured some water on my head to cool off, and my phone got wet. D.E.D.

I was able to revive it after thoroughly drying it out.

A friend did similar. His phone was in a jersey pocket in a waterproof pouch. He had just used it, and didn't seal the top. The water he poured on his head got into the pouch and killed his iphone. Permanently.

I keep my phone in a ziploc now. I put my phone in a protective case for drops, not for water. Ziploc works fine for water.

~ B A D A S S ~
    My phone (nokia button phone) got soaked in I think lens fluid or urine last summer. Now I know water does not conduct electricity, only the salts and minrals in it does. so i first rinsed it under the faucet (battery removed btw) then I put it in a glass of distilled battey water for about a day (to leach out the minerals/salts). Then put it out in the sun for a day or maybe it was 2 days.

My father told me it would never work after that and informed me that i'm an idiot. but guess what... it worked. I was about 0% surprised since I clean lots of electronics this way.

Specialized sucks ass.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    My phone (nokia button phone) got soaked in I think lens fluid or urine last summer.
    Either lens cleaner or urine? Dying to now how this rather odd question was born.
    Recalculating....

Fat-tired Roadie
    I had a phone die from condensation a few years ago. I always put my phone in a Ziploc now, even though my current one claims to be water proof.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Either lens cleaner or urine? Dying to now how this rather odd question was born.
    I dont know which one..

you dont wanna know

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Motorola used to make some very durable ph's... Now that they've been taken over by Google, not sure on their ratings.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    #1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

A Enigma wrapped in Bacon
    I use a ziplock, but water condenses inside the bag with it in my jersey pocket. I keep it in my back pack or in a pannier when I'm commuting.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ That doesn't make sense unless there's already water in your phone or in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Motorola used to make some very durable ph's... Now that they've been taken over by Google, not sure on their ratings.
    True story... Motorola Droid RAZR X... first I swam under the boat with it... tangled anchor line and I forgot I had it in the pocket. When I realized I quickly removed the battery, and drove home from the lake with the phone on the dash board and the defroster blasting it... came back to life with no issues.

A few months later, same phone... was craigslist selling a motorcycle and coordinating meeting with the buyer in the morning. While trading texts with the guy I figured I should go make sure the bike would start back up. It wouldn't. It had been sitting so I figured it was bad gas. In the process of draining the gas and texting the guy, i knocked the phone into a bucket of gasoline. Seriously. Grabbed it out, removed the battery, and straight to the car's dash board for the defroster treatment that worked so well the last time. It came back to life and worked for several more months until I was eligible for an upgrade. It had a couple of dark splotchy spots on the screen but that was it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    ^^You need some better bags.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I keep mine in a pannier/frame bag when commuting, and sometimes it gets hot/humid/rainy enough to get condensation in the bag. The phone comes out kinda soggy, but it's been going for 3 years now.

At $30, it's not really a loss if it dies, anyhow. I'd probably care more if I had a more expensive phone.

A Enigma wrapped in Bacon
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ That doesn't make sense unless there's already water in your phone or in the bag.

True story... Motorola Droid RAZR X... first I swam under the boat with it... tangled anchor line and I forgot I had it in the pocket. When I realized I quickly removed the battery, and drove home from the lake with the phone on the dash board and the defroster blasting it... came back to life with no issues.

A few months later, same phone... was craigslist selling a motorcycle and coordinating meeting with the buyer in the morning. While trading texts with the guy I figured I should go make sure the bike would start back up. It wouldn't. It had been sitting so I figured it was bad gas. In the process of draining the gas and texting the guy, i knocked the phone into a bucket of gasoline. Seriously. Grabbed it out, removed the battery, and straight to the car's dash board for the defroster treatment that worked so well the last time. It came back to life and worked for several more months until I was eligible for an upgrade. It had a couple of dark splotchy spots on the screen but that was it.
    I think there's a certain amount of moisture in the air that gets sealed in and condenses inside the bag. My phone can condense water around the edges just being in my pants pocket when I'm active.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

~ B A D A S S ~
    All right guys. I now have an Iphone that I'm lugging around in my front chest-pocket (only a fishnet between that pocket and my body). I have no waterproof case for it and no plastic bags or anything. Basically I'm destruction testing it. And my employer is paying for it kinda.

I'm thinking it will last about a year or so, or shorter. what do you think?

Specialized sucks ass.

CB of the East
    If the iphone is anything like an ipod...it should already be dead. My wife has taken out about 3 ipods by running with them in wet conditions.

~ B A D A S S ~
    We'll see.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    If I'm lucky the phone will only see water vapour and thats like distilled water, contains no salts, and does not conduct electricity. Then it'll be fine. for a while.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Get a decent Mil-Spec'd flip phone at least (there are tablets now too of course).
    My favorite rugged flip is either a Casio Ravine 2 (aka C781) or any of the Samsung Rugby series. There's probably even better ones out by now.