Mirrors- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mirrors

mtbr member
    May 2007

Mirrors

A friend of mine asked me for mirror advice the other day because he knows that I have a box full of crappy mirrors in the garage. There was really only one I could recommend that was still in production- the Ultra Light Bike Mirror. Yeah, super creative name, I know.

I'm not sure I have posted before about this mirror, but I wanted to make sure I shared my opinion with my fellow commuters here because it really is one of my favorite pieces of commuter kit, so here goes.

http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/image.asp?pid=4

I have tried TONS of mirrors. They were all either made poorly, had bad/limited mounting options, or moved the second you hit a bump in the road. I tried the mirrors that are mounted to your glasses, but they were hard to get used to, and more often than not, I just plain forgot to mount them before I rolled away from home.

The Ultra Light Bike Mirror is ROCK SOLID. Both the mount to the bike as well as the adjustment ball joint at the mirror are solid. Set it, and it will not move. It is pretty big, so there is plenty of view. You can mount it to any kind of bars. It is not limited by the mounting solution.

I ordered mine from Performance. They did not stock it in store. My buddy went to order one and they were on backorder, so that might not be the best source right now.

Anyway, my $.02

mtbr member
    :wq

mtbr member
    I like the fact it is the cream of your crop. I like what I have, but I may well try this one out (to see what I might have been missing). My mirror is the best piece of safety equipment I ever bought.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I use a simple round cateye mirror. Despite being tighten, it will not affect yr steering even knock onto any stationery object.

I agree with what BrianMc says.. But alot of commuter or cyclist on road still havent realise that. They even detest and resist the idea of having mirror on bicycle.

Side mirror helps me to avoid countless time of motorist reckless driving. It helps me to avoid other people mistake and save lifes.

weirdo
    I`m sure I could mount it to my bars, but I don`t see a way to do it without blocking the path from my hands to my bar end shifters.

I started with a round Third Eye model that clips to my glasses- had the same problems that Ryball mentioned, plus I had a devil of a time getting it "dialed in" every time it got knocked out of place, which was pretty often.

Moved on to a larger oval shaped Cycleaware that clips to my glasses- it`s a little better because the area is so much larger, so not so picky about the dialing in part, but otherwise has the same issues.

I`ve always secretly coveted (well, not really much of a secret) the big oval shaped mirrors that plug in to a bar end, but again my shifters knock out that possibility and I`m NOT planning to ditch my shifters.

I`m prety sure that bigger mirrors mounted somewhere on the bars would be far superior to my glass frame mounts, but I`m happy enough with what I have. The way I see it, a mirror is nice to have, but I honestly think it`s more of a placebo than real saftey. Since it does make me feel better, I keep using it whether I feel better for a real reason or for an imaginary reason

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    I`m sure I could mount it to my bars, but I don`t see a way to do it without blocking the path from my hands to my bar end shifters.
    If you are refering to the one I posted, here is a kinda where I mount mine.

Mine is mounted right up against the bottom of my brake lever clamp. The hood rests a bit over the clamping band. My mirror is oriented straight up and down with the large end pointing up. Doesn't get in the way of anything.

I agree though, as far as placebo effect. I use my mirror, but it is not my main means of determining where traffic is. I ALWAYS peek over my shoulder before I turn or change lanes.

weirdo
    Ryball, you got it out of the way of my shifter, but now how do I reach my brake lever? Sheesh!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It is straight off to the side. Honestly, it doesn't get in the way when I am on the hoods or in the drops. There is plenty of room. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

mtbr member
    I have my not so local LBS who is awaiting rims from OZ for me to find one and add it to my order. I figure there are times when the helmet has slipped and I need to see NOW. Or the wind has it vibrating enough I can't make out the needed detail.

I was extremely reluctant to even have a rear reflector years ago. Mirror? Pathetic!

Change happens sometimes at the speed of thought sometimes glacially and sometimes as if there was travel form the future. Traffic is different both here (where) and here (time). I told my wife that the greatest value my helmet had was to hold my mirror. A helmet might save a concussion in an OTB or into the windshiled not quite stopped contact, but more likely will be just enough to allow an open casket in a big crash. The mirror is much more powerful as a safety tool: you can avoid the whole shebang!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Okay, here we go. Let me know if you want any more detailed pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    That will work well with the wide radonneur bars. Might even help get me more room for the dolts who don't know where the side of their car is and use a cyclist's center of mass and not the leftmost part (shoulder in my case at the moment) as their reference point.

weirdo
    Ryball, that`s just lovely! Thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Did I mention I LOVE this mirror?

weirdo
    I still don`t think I`d want it with my current cockpit, but I can see how it might be loveable. Nice big surface, not hanging out bugging me in the corner of my eye. Yup, pretty sweet!

Members who have read this thread: 0