Mirror for Cross Check?- Mtbr.com
    CB of the East

Mirror for Cross Check?

I'd like to add a mirror on my CC for commuting but there doesn't seem to be a spot.

The bar ends have shifters, the brake levers aren't the old cable style or STI. The helmet / glasses mount ones are geekier than I want to look (Umm, no offense to any of you helmet / glasses mount mirror wearers I'd actually consider one if somebody gave one stellar reviews)

Am I missing a mirror mounting spot? When I ride the roads I really like a mirror. It kind of offsets the fact that I wear ear buds most of the time.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

same concern

I also have a cross check with bar end shifters. I broke down and bought a helmet mounted mirror. I've been missing out. Best mirror I've used. no vibrations, sharp images. I went to youtube and found an installation/review video for the mirror.

Used the mirror first time today. Already told my wife how much better they are, (in spite of the fact they look totally hetero).

CB of the East
    My helmet already has more things attached to it than the scaffolding at an AC/DC concert (Front light, rear light & micro video camera) but I might have to give it a try on my utility helmet. I'm going to have neck muscles like a linebacker.

Which one did you get and is that the one you would choose if you had a second chance?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So, I use a bar end mount mirrcycle mirror om my cross check, left side. I, too use bar end shifters. Take an old threaded stem and cut it off before the top nut. So now take the part that fits over the handlebar and slide it up on the bottom of the left bar. Mount bar end shifter in little tube and tighten, wrap with tape. Problem solved.

CB of the East
    That might just be the solution I didn't think of. You're going to have to post a picture of that you know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Name:  DSC_9120.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  24.4 KBYes. Note that "awesome" tape job.
    Last edited by leeboh; 03-06-2012 at 01:41 PM.

CB of the East
    OK, I've tried the helmet mirror for a few rides. . . Not a Fan! I can't get it adjusted any better than suck. It would be a great tool if I wanted to keep tabs on my shoulder or see if my ear hair needs to be trimmed but that's all I can see in my riding position. If I want to see the road I have to take my attention off the road, lift my head and swivel my neck around until I get a glimpse of the road behind me. If I see a car I know one is behind me. If I don't see a car, one might still be behind me.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

hmm.

I tried moving the mirror further away from the side of my helmet and had a similar experience. I moved the mirror much closer to the helmet, (right in line with with it) and only a small head movement is needed. I'm an unexpected fan.

CB of the East
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm still tinkering. Maybe I'll try it on the inside. It's been un-stuck and re-stuck a few times already. My helmet doesn't have the best spot for it. As long as I don't veer into traffic as I attempt to be safe I'll report back.

FYI, I got the third eye pro. I think it was a whopping $12 investment. I'm considering a cockpit change anyway. I don't mind the shifting function of the bar end shifters but when I stand and pedal I sometimes knock myself out of gear, and that's not good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    love my mirrcycle, I think they make one that fits in an sti shifter too.

Air Pirate
    Check out this mirror, available at Rivendell: D & D Oberlauda Bike Mirror. Rivendell has a pretty good photo gallery of it, as well as a nice write-up. Here is another blog review of the mirror.

I was looking for something exactly like this one. I use drop bars with bar-end shifters on my adventure bike. I saw the Road Mirror by Blackburn, which straps onto the bar at the brake-hood with a velcro strap, but it is reviewed as having a lot of vibration making it pretty much useless, as well as making the grip on the one side a bit bigger in diameter, messing with comfort and grip.

I remember the old Rhode Gear mirror that is mentioned in the Rivendell article, and I will say if they like the German mirror they are selling, it is probably worth the coin.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

CB of the East
    That looks like a pretty good option too. I'll keep trying things until I find something I like.

Oh, and I love my mirrcycles too. I wish I could get one that fit without much tinkering.

Members who have read this thread: 0