Minneapolis Crashes: Bikes 59% to Blame, Cars 64%- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    "The report offers one bright spot, however. As the number of bicyclists on the road increased over the last several years, the rate of crashes per cyclist has dropped significantly."

Suggests that rate of crashes per cyclist is inversely proportional to number of cyclists. (As suspected, safety in numbers.) So with only two cyclist commuters here in 2008, no wonder I felt like a sitting duck!

BrianMc

mtbr member
    "The report recommends more education directed at cyclists,"

How about education directed at drivers too? Teach cyclists that they (we) need to follow the rules of the rode and also teach drivers what rights cyclists have and how to safely drive on the same roads.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=BrianMc;10072228 Suggests that rate of crashes per cyclist is inversely proportional to number of cyclists. (As suspected, safety in numbers.) [/QUOTE]

The numerator stayed the same and the denominator increased.

I have a place in Mnnpls close to Uptown. That's where many of the accidnets occurred. Cycists in that area ride stupid. No lights. Dark Clothes. Run stop signs. Unaware of surroundings, Don't ride on the bike boulevards, etc. There is also a lot of on street parking that really aggravates things. I suspect someone has done a decent analysis to see what the likely causes are.

Larry
    Last edited by lgh; 01-16-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: word change

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lgh View Post
    The numerator stayed the same and the denominator increased.

I have a place in Mnnpls close to Uptown. That's where many of the accidnets occurred. Cycists in that area ride stupid. No lights. Dark Clothes. Run stop signs. Unaware of surroundings, Don't ride on the bike boulevards, etc. There is also a lot of on street parking that really aggravates things. I suspect someone has done a decent analysis to see what the likely causes are.

Larry
    I should have put one of these: after my tongue in cheek.

I doubt the numerator was unchanged, but if it was, then interpolating to a mere 2 riders would have them having accidents every couple of days or oftener. Even funnier ad absurdum. There is good evidence that more cyclists are safer as motorists become more cyclist aware, assuming the cyclists can be seen and are riding in a somewhat legal and defensive way.

Diluting such a subpopulation of bad cyclists with almost accident free riders would be much as you said. That should show up in a maps of frequency of day and night car-bike accidents and reveal the hotbed of bad cyclists.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    And in Winnipeg,
    Cyclists, drivers can't point fingers - Winnipeg Free Press

Also includes a bit of Yogi Berra-ism (of 90% of the game is half-mental fame) with this quote: "The numbers that we've had in the past from MPI really show that at least 50 per cent of cyclists are at fault for most of their own collisions" So if half the cyclists are at fault for at least half of their collisions, who is at fault for the other +/- 75% of cyclist collisions??

The photo of "proper hi-vis clothing" was impressive, but a little over the top for most of us...
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 01-20-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Sorry that hi vis pic isn't uploading, see the link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The photo of "proper hi-vis clothing" was impressive, but a little over the top for most of us...
    Proper in what sense? For -25 C and 30 kph winds, appropriate and proper. But I am aware of no laws dictating visibility of clothing though a suggestion of lighter clothes after dark is made in some bike regulations, I think.

I can't imagine wearing that get up in 105 F and 85% RH here in the summer. Drivers are not expecting us in the winter, so it might be a good idea with the greater chance of riding at dusk and dawn, too. In the summer? Why not add a ball and chain, too? So is the higher rate of accidents in June and July because of shorts and jerseys? I don't think so. In the text portion It also seems like a lot of accidents have not been assigned a party at fault or error. When that is the majority of incidents just how meaningful (accurate) is the data?

BrianMc

since 4/10/2009
    Come on, BrianMc, Nomex fire gear will protect you from the heat in the summer.

In all honesty, the cyclists who are mostly at fault for their accidents are probably not the ones browsing the internet for articles about bike commuting or reading a web forum about bike commuting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    So if half the cyclists are at fault for at least half of their collisions, who is at fault for the other +/- 75% of cyclist collisions?
    I always like to remember that only about 1% of collisions involve bikes or pedestrians. And they generally aren't at fault more than half the time. (Usually 35%ish for pedal and 50%ish for bikes)

So if anyone is ever trying to lay blame you can just point out that drivers cause 99.5% of all accidents all by themselves, which kind of says it all.

Members who have read this thread: 0