Mechanical!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mechanical!

Moderator Moderator

Mechanical!

Riding home tonight my MTB suffered chainsuck in the worst way. I was pedaling down a hill in a headwind in the big ring and shifted to the middle ring near the stopsign at the bottom. But after pausing there, it locked up as I tried to pedal into the left turn. Ugh! Totally stuck, the chain was halfway on the middle ring and the rest was wrapped & reversed on the big ring, with the front of the front derailleur guide buried deep in a link of the chain. Rear derailleur extended fully and tight to the chainstays.

After a few ineffectual attempts at extricating the chain, I decided I'd have to loosen the front derailleur with the 5mm hex on the multitool and slide it up and off the chain. It worked! Yay! I was off and pedaling instead of walking the last 5 miles

Cause?? The big ring was the only thing not replaced last year, and the chain is only a few weeks old. Plus it rained this morning...or maybe I just needed to shift more carefully before that stop.

Share your own problems/solutions.

since 4/10/2009
    I rode my mtb yesterday instead of my commuter for a change of pace. discovered that my rear shock isn't holding air. it's a slow leak...but a noticeable one nonetheless. going to buy an o ring kit and DIY the repair. I think the seals most likely dried out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My old bike got chainsuck. It was sad times. My solution was to get an internal gear

weirdo
    I don`t know what to suggest, Xplorer. FDs give me hell, so mine would be the last advice I would want to hear if I were trying to fix a problem there. Cross your fingers and hope it was a fluke, I guess. It didn`t gouge the tubes, did it? It sounds like it just bound up within the cage and left your ti alone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If the chain is new, it could be a stiff link.

mtbr member
    I consider it a blessing that my Dekerf was fitted out with a chainsuck guard when I got it. Never had an issue with it. did break a chain in a race though and had to hobble out to the finish.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    What R+P+K said. Also, check for any bent teeth on your chainring that might have "snagged" the chain and caused it to suck. A really worn chainring can cause chainsuck. A chain that is filled with debris (mud, leaves, wood, etc.) can also suck. Good work getting it freed up!

Moderator Moderator
    I unclamped the FD again this a.m. to clean up the road grit etc. under there, and re-adjusted the height and angle more carefully than I did on the side of the road. The teeth on the big ring did look funky to me, but its a bit hard to tell if shorter teeth are worn or purposefully different. Forgot to check for a stiff link, I'll do that. It worked fine when I rode in this morning.

The pic is not the best, but I did snap a couple last night before fixing it...

hmm, now that I look at it, that 1 chainring bolt looks funny, I'll see if it is tight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mechanical!-achainsuck.jpg  

Mechanical!-achainsuck2.jpg  

CB of the East
    +1 on the stiff link, flexing it in the direction it doesn't normally flex usually loosens it up for good. Also look for any little burs or bent teeth that might drag the chain up. I recently had 2 bent teeth that caused the same thing. I just file them off if the chainring is otherwise good. The chainring bolt does look a little wonky. Obviously the last thing would be to give it a thorough lube, lots of rain lately.

Moderator Moderator
    I just went out and checked...the chain is perfect, the bolts were fine, the teeth are not bent, but a few look to have worn off the top a bit or just slightly sharky. Also, maybe the RD tension is loosing some oomph too and not taking up the slack quick enough. I'll keep riding and see how it goes. Perhaps I hesitated in the pedaling before the shift was complete because of approaching the stop sign/traffic; I know I hesitated after it locked up .

CB of the East
    I've never had worn teeth cause chainsuck and I've worn some to nubs. That usually causes skipping under heavy load and just accelerates chain wear. If not every tooth is worn the same then it's probably intentional. You could post some pics of the chainring and let us experts take a look at it.

Yes, they "hesitate" very quickly when that happens. If you don't realize it and back off the power it can break stuff fast.

If it happens again my vote is still on stiff link especially since it's a new chain. The jam could have very well loosened it.

Members who have read this thread: 0