Mayor purposely (allegedly) runs down cyclist (and is not yet charged)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mayor purposely (allegedly) runs down cyclist (and is not yet charged)

Sounds like assault and hit-and-run at an absolute minimum. I guess they didn't feel multiple witnesses is enough?

Cyclist Down: Mayor Mark E. Furrer's road? - Drunkcyclist.com

Update: Mayor says it was all cyclists fault and he didn't leave the scene.
    Link

Moderator Moderator
    It will be interesting to see how that one turns out.

mtbr member
    Yeah, as much as I want to wait for a report and give the driver some shred of benefit of the doubt, I find his story really hard to swallow at face value.... guy on 40 mile ride, on 12K bike grabbing your car, couldn't stop/turn around until later, etc...

mtbr member
    Fleeing the scene of an accident really needs to have huge no-excuses penalties. Regardless of any of the backstory or other noise, we know the driver took off, and that should be enough to make him very sorry. But I'm sure that the cyclist "asked for it" or whatever, so this will get brushed under the rug.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Fleeing the scene of an accident really needs to have huge no-excuses penalties. Regardless of any of the backstory or other noise, we know the driver took off......
    Yeah, I can't image a scenario where I wouldn't have pulled over or turned around immediately. The car behind him was able to stop, the guy coming the other way was able to flip a U-turn (in a truck) to go after him. Seems more likely he was just gonna drive away, until he noticed someone following him.

Missouri Bicycle Safety - SafeMotorist.com
    Seems hard to believe that a cyclist could reach far enough to grab a car passing at a safe distance. My money says the Missouri State Troopers get involved after the local PD loses interest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    He left the scene.
    Sure he came back but doesn't change the fact he left the scene.
    Felony Hit and Run right there.
    Doesn't matter if driver hit cyclist or if cyclist grabbed vehicle then crashed.
    driver left the scene.

mtbr member
    Yeah, if an oncoming car has time to pull a u-turn and chase you down, and the cyclist has time to ask ANOTHER car to chase you down, then "turned around at the first opportunity" doesn't really fly. Both sides will tell whatever story they want, but only one of them was witnessed leaving the scene of an accident.

I'm glad the bozo is getting tons of flack from cyclists for this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The fact that the other drivers were willing to chase down the fleeing car says a lot right there. The mayor's story doesn't ring true...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Yeah, if an oncoming car has time to pull a u-turn and chase you down, and the cyclist has time to ask ANOTHER car to chase you down, then "turned around at the first opportunity" doesn't really fly. Both sides will tell whatever story they want, but only one of them was witnessed leaving the scene of an accident.

I'm glad the bozo is getting tons of flack from cyclists for this.
    I agree but I don't think one should have to be a cyclist to see that both parties agree the mayor drove off and came back later, and give him a suitable volume of flak for that act alone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    sounds like the police need investigating too. They didn't file a report and probably expected to brush it under the rug.

mtbr member
    Wow. I am glad I don't live in MO (for many reasons, actually.) I also think this one will be interesting to keep an eye on...

mtbr member
    Update

Witness to 911: "I would like to report a hit-and-run over here on Old Gravois Road, right here by Delta Denta. The guy hit a bicyclist, drove off and then turned around and came back,

Police Chief: "Furrer did not leave the scene of an accident because he turned around and came back."

mtbr member
    Whether or not he left the scene, he still used his car as a weapon, which should be assault with a deadly weapon. If he doesn't get any criminal charges pressed against him, let's hope there's one huge civil suit at least.

Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Police Chief: "Furrer did not leave the scene of an accident because he turned around and came back."
    Obstruction of Justice?

mtbr member

Stokeless Asshat
    I don't get this philosophy. Help me out here and I'm not speaking to this case in particular. Let's say a motorist accidentally hits a cyclist. Stops. Calls 911. Takes responsibility etc. You consider this assault with a deadly weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Whether or not he left the scene, he still used his car as a weapon, which should be assault with a deadly weapon. If he doesn't get any criminal charges pressed against him, let's hope there's one huge civil suit at least.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Mayor purposely (allegedly) runs down cyclist (and is not yet charged)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    I don't get this philosophy. Help me out here and I'm not speaking to this case in particular. Let's say a motorist accidentally hits a cyclist. Stops. Calls 911. Takes responsibility etc. You consider this assault with a deadly weapon?
    In your case, no.

Difference between accident and deliberate.
    Mayor says accident.
    Cyclist says deliberate.
    There is something called pulling over to the side of the road so there is no need to turn around.
    After a confrontation of any sort, who doesn't check rear and side mirrors?
    Mayor had to have known about the cyclist going down, and kept driving instead of pulling over. Only after beong chased down did he return

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I think the OP is referring to this case only and basing their comment on the cyclist's statements and eyewitness accounts. In Nebraska this would (if witness statements are correct) be considered Assault in the First Degree. Cars here are not considered "deadly weapons" and the use of a deadly weapon would normally involve a second felony (and possibly third) felony charge.

mtbr member
    The cyclist claims the mayor hit him on purpose, so that, IMO, would be assault with a deadly weapon. Cars are certainly deadly since they kill far more people every year then any other weapon. I'm no law expert, so I may be completely off base, but that's what it seems like to me.

mtbr member
    Still "investigating". Interesting they comment that the witnesses appear to be backing the cyclists story...... "Murdick said that three eyewitnesses completely back his account of events"

What are all the commenters going to say then? My guess... "F*** em' they still shouldn't be on the road and I saw a guy run a stop sign once so, they all deserve it!".

Police probe in final stages; city officials pursue options to promote cycling safety

mtbr member
    Report delayed due to Ferguson riots......

Report delayed on incident with mayor, bicyclist

mtbr member
    I think there was supposed to be an announcement today (according to the article) whether or not he'll be charged but haven't seen anything yet.
    More accusations against him from previous incidents though.
    Police respond to multiple calls by, about Furrer

mtbr member
    ^ A charming fellow, apparently.

mtbr member

Moderator Moderator

Were are the Berkley student riots about this?

NDD
    mtbr member
    Heard this on the news. Was glad they even indicted him. In this area, that is a huge step, since a cyclist not forty miles away on the Illinois side was purposely hit with a pole and police never did anything about it. They had the guy's plate and everything.

Hopefully he gets charged.
    dang