Mallet pedals?

Printable View

• 05-05-2008
    William P
    Mallet pedals?
    I've been running Eggbeater Candy SL's for my fitness rides, I've gotten fairly comfortable with them. But I'm not comfortable riding in traffic with them. If I get Mallets, and another pair of shoes without cleats, and with the cleat plugs removed can they be ridden as platforms, and then clipless when I put on a shoe with cleats?
  • 05-05-2008
    newaccount
    it'll work, but it's not perfect. then again, it's the best option for you under these circumstances.

the eggbeater mechanism sticks out higher than platform so you don't get the benefit of a true platform pedal. when you're clipped in, you'll feel that the pedal is heavier than it needs to be since you don't require the platform. you can't have it both ways!
  • 05-05-2008
    tpm7
    Make sure to get '08 Mellets if you do, the previous years have alot less grip if riding unclipped. But otherwise you should have no problem, the egg beater still sticks out but I'm sure you could make it work.
  • 05-05-2008
    SelfPropelledDevo
    1 Attachment(s)
    $40
    i have a couple of sets of these... they rock
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5240
  • 05-05-2008
    William P
    The thing I like about Eggbeaters is 4 side entry. I don't have to flip my pedals over to get in. I was thinking with the cleat left out of the shoe, the part that sticks up would have a place to go into. I guess I could get the pedals and try it with the shoes I have to see how it works before I buy more shoes. Thanks or the replies. At least the idea didn't get shot down.
  • 05-06-2008
    centerridgerider
    I'll tell you what man, I've commuted on all 3 (platforms 50/50s in this case, mallets, and candys).

when you ride the platform, it is what it is, a nice flat stable surface to put your foot on.
    With the mallets (M's in my case)I liked them because I didn't have to always wear my bike shoes, I could wear whatever shoes I want to. And if I wanted to clip in I could just wear my bike shoes and it worked great.
    Now I run candys because I alwayse ride with my bike shoes and stay clipped in all the time.
  • 05-06-2008
    William P
    Thanks
    I think The mallets are what I need, I almost always have my bike in the van with me but usually don't have the right shoes to ride it.I may be one step ahead of myself. I should probably ride the Mallets for a while, then put the Candies back on later.