Major problems with tearing eyes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Major problems with tearing eyes

I have no problem riding when it gets really cold out, but right now I have to limit my low temperature to about 35 because of my eyes. The problem is they tear up really bad.
    Doesn't matter if I'm wearing glasses (tried different pairs), or a pair of slim goggles I got at the local Army/Navy surplus (they fog up so bad I can't see). With the goggles I have no problem with tearing, but they are useless because of fogging. I've used anti-fog spray (from Smith), and I cut ventilation holes in the rubber seal around the lens. That works a little, but not much.

The only thing that would work would be ski goggles, but, ummm, no, won't be doing that.

Anyone come up with a realistic solution?

Bedwards Of The West
    I'd try some different shapes of glasses... I've had different lenses that really directed the air around my eyes well, and others that seemed to direct the wind directly through my retinas into my brain. Maybe something like an early 90's oakley blade ...ok maybe not, but something with a wider profile might help a lot.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

wants a taco
    This Helmet

Only joking btw, Glasses work for me, like commuter boy mentioned, you can try glasses with a different shape. I have a pair of clear safety glasses that actually look like regular sunglasses but they wrap around your face a good bit more and they work well for me. I also have issues with tearing and it can get really annoying.
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Boise Jim View Post
    With the goggles I have no problem with tearing, but they are useless because of fogging.
    I'd drill a couple of tiny holes in the goggle lenses where they get foggy. Let in a little fresh air, but not so much that your eyes tear.

LightJunction.com
    That's an interesting problem to have, but a problem, nonetheless. I'm curious if some kind of eye drops might be the solution...
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Moderator Moderator
    Another biker in the office here has tearing issues if he doesn't wear glasses, even when it's not cold, whereas I'm OK unless it's really cold, so I think there is a lot of variability. I like the Panoptx glasses (like these: Panoptx up to 55% off at Sierra Trading Post ) with foam eyecups that cut down the air without sealing to your face like goggles. I have also seen similar inexpensive versions in the motorcycle aisle at Walmart.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think it's a little less bad when I wear a cycling cap. I always wear glasses regardless - I'm pretty nearsighted, and once I figured out I could get laid without contact lenses, I had no reason to mess around with them.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Anyone what causes teary eye? I figure it has something to do with cold weather. The other morning on my way to work, I was crying a river. My eyes have done this before and it usually happens in cold weather, sometimes a cool night when I'm going down a hill fast. I always wear shades or prescription glasses (when nigh riding), so I find it strange that some of you don't tear up when wearing glasses of some kind.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    When it's cold and or windy your eyes dry out. Tears are then produced to keep your eyes moist and protect them against foreign material and scratches when you blink. Some people produce more tears than others. Excessive tears can also be a sign of a blocked drainage duct.

Bedwards Of The West
    If I forget my glasses, the tears hit my ears before I get to the bottom of my hill. With glasses, I never have a problem. It's way worse in the cold.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Boise Jim View Post
    I have no problem riding when it gets really cold out, but right now I have to limit my low temperature to about 35 because of my eyes. The problem is they tear up really bad.
    Doesn't matter if I'm wearing glasses (tried different pairs), or a pair of slim goggles I got at the local Army/Navy surplus (they fog up so bad I can't see). With the goggles I have no problem with tearing, but they are useless because of fogging. I've used anti-fog spray (from Smith), and I cut ventilation holes in the rubber seal around the lens. That works a little, but not much.

The only thing that would work would be ski goggles, but, ummm, no, won't be doing that.

Anyone come up with a realistic solution?
    My sunglasses work down to about -15 C....

I get frostbit on my cheeks before my eyes tear up too bad...

Maybe just check out a more wind shedding pair of glasses...

A double lense pair of ski googles will work the best.

mtbr member
    Thanks, everyone.
    I've tried numerous pairs of sunglasses- from very cheap to very expensive with no luck.
    Update- I've been doing a little modification to those goggles I got at the Army/Navy surplus store. I've been cutting some small vents in the foam around the lens and have gotten some good results. As long as I am moving, no fogging. Once I slow down, fog like crazy. May need to cut just a couple more since I'm not tearing at all.

Hey nubcake- maybe I could wear that helmet with a pair of ski goggles! At least people would notice me on my ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have that problem when its really cold out, my eyes just tear, I've seemed to be able to get it sorted with a pair of regular big aviator style glasses (no wrap-around style just ole skool flat lenses away from your eye socket) and a quick dip in white vinegar over the lenses then a quick drying via microfiber cloth prior to setting out. I also keep my glasses in my car so that I'm not taking the lenses between the warm house and the brisk outside air which can also foster fogging, I just keep em in the cold. Seems to do quite well.

That vent hole solution is a good idea tho, but as you say you have to keep moving for it to work best. Typical with motorcycle goggles too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am down for the count. My eyes have been inferno red for almost 4 days now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The best glasses for cycling that I have found so far are Oakley Half-Jackets. I don't tear up in those. I definitely tear up without glasses. I've also got some Wiley-X XL-1s that do a great job of protecting my eyes, but do sometimes cause fogging. And in colder temperatures (anything less than 20F), I don't hesitate to put on the ski goggles. I really couldn't care less whether I look cool or not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wear a junked up pair of Oakely Monster Dogs. It might be my face shape but they wrap around my eye sockets well. I got a riding buddy who wears Julbos. He looks like a loon, but his eyes don't tear. I also avoid wearing my contacts on really cold days because they cause serious tearing and itching in the cold.

since 4/10/2009
    I've had variable success with different pairs of glasses. I wear contacts and I have tearing issues when I get too much wind in my face.

I have been pleased with the performance of the Oakley Jawbones in this regard. The lenses have vent holes in them to cut fogging down, and the frames follow the contours of my face well, while still offering some space for ventilation. I don't have any wind issues with them.

I have not used them in very cold temps, though. IME, things get bad with fogging in the cold. The cold wind on the glasses keeps the lenses cold and you really put off warm, humid air as you sweat. So you get condensation problems on glasses. The double-layered ski goggles really are the only way to combat that. No amount of anti-fog coatings will stop it.

mtbr member
    I have the same issue of excessive tearing. The minute it starts to get chilly, I tear up the minute the bike starts moving.

The best way I've found to battle the tears is to do absolutely nothing. Don't wipe away the tears, no matter what. Just live with them for the first few minutes. After a few minutes of looking like a bride on her wedding day, the tears will stop, and you'll be good for the rest of the ride. The trick is just to let them flow until your eyes adjust.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ^exactly what I do. Just let em flow. I blink hard any time it starts to mess with my vision. It doesn't last the whole ride. Plus it adds to to the mystique of winter commuting for the uninitiated. When I park my bike it looks like I have been crying, drooling and my head is steaming. Fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use big box store safety glasses, good coverage. Have you had lasick (sp) eye surgery ? Read about some issues. Try covering your nose with a headband. Tried sirrius neoprene face covers?

Hi.
    Use some Cat Crap or Sea Drops on your goggles.

~Disc~Golf~
    "Major problems with tearing eyes"

Think of something funny or look at some pics of kittens before you leave.
    That should keep you crying like a little girl.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Whether you are willing to wear them or not "ski" goggles DO work! When the temps are close too or below freezing I break them out. I'm well aware of what I look like wearing them but they make my freezing temp 1hr commutes sooooo much nicer!

Members who have read this thread: 0