Made it Through 1st Winter/ 9 month update- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Made it Through 1st Winter/ 9 month update

This is an update to my being car free. Made it through my first winter, assuming there isn't another freak storm. It has been 9 months since I started this chapter in my life. Yes there were a few (7) tough days throughout the winter. Didn't miss a day, even if it meant carrying my bike over knee high snow banks.

So my advice to anyone thinking about it part time or full time, get some decent gear, and time to get to your destination. Some of you will have weather as a challenge, others will be distance. If your going car free have 2 rides you can ride in all conditions. Expect to crash especially in the snow.

No matter what nature throws at you enjoy the ride, and keep pedaling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well done. Thanks for the inspiration and for the tips along the way.

Moderator Moderator
    Woohoo! An impressive feat, snailspace. Happy (signs of) Spring!

weirdo
    Way to go! I`m NOT thinking of going car-free, but my hat is off to all you who do it.
    Recalculating....

guy
    I have considered selling my Element and going car free (kind of, my wife will always have a car), but I need something to get out to the mountain bike trails and for camping trips etc. Really impressed with those of you that make the commitment and stick with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    For the bigger stuff I used a local classified ad for a ride share, $10 to a store and back is cheaper than a cab. For heavy and bulky grocery items like juice and toilet paper I get online in 3 month quantities. If UPS is doing the shipping you can reschedule for a day you are home.

One can always go down to 1 vehicle. If your making payments on a car that's a good chunk of change every month, even with low gas prices.

mtbr member
    Congrats!

You're in Ontario? (I think?) Did you get an extra-bad winter this year, or was that all in the states?

Out west we barely had a winter. I swear that my first two winters (2009&2010) were terrible, but I'm not sure if that's actually true or it's just the fog of memory. Whatever the case, the first is probably the hardest and it only gets easier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sorry I don't like to disclose my location. Anyone can read these forums and from personal experience else where there are creeps. For me it wasn't the cold that made things difficult, it was when it snowed 4-6 inches. I actually preferred the colder days because the snow on road was more predictable and hard packed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snailspace View Post
    For the bigger stuff I used a local classified ad for a ride share, $10 to a store and back is cheaper than a cab. For heavy and bulky grocery items like juice and toilet paper I get online in 3 month quantities. If UPS is doing the shipping you can reschedule for a day you are home.

One can always go down to 1 vehicle. If your making payments on a car that's a good chunk of change every month, even with low gas prices.
    Been doing the one car thing for almost 10 years and we make it work. However, living in rural land, the distances to do much is prohibitive to being car free (airport is a 3+hour drive, etc.). Congrats on making it through the first 9 months! That's truly a worthy achievement!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by snailspace View Post
    This is an update to my being car free. Made it through my first winter, assuming there isn't another freak storm. It has been 9 months since I started this chapter in my life. Yes there were a few (7) tough days throughout the winter. Didn't miss a day, even if it meant carrying my bike over knee high snow banks.

So my advice to anyone thinking about it part time or full time, get some decent gear, and time to get to your destination. Some of you will have weather as a challenge, others will be distance. If your going car free have 2 rides you can ride in all conditions. Expect to crash especially in the snow.

No matter what nature throws at you enjoy the ride, and keep pedaling.
    Amen, brother.