Lunch Time!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lunch Time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Lunch Time!

What are some good ideas for lunch? School starts soon and I dont want to spend $5+/day since I wont have a job during school, and would like to keep it taht way. I have a bunch of snacks, but those arent nearly as good as a good lunch. Must not require cooking at school, but there is a microwave in the lunch room. Id also like not too salty/sodium filled options, im not picky about the macros. Id also prefer something I prepare at home to keep it healthier. The more calories the better.

So far my ideas are:
    Sandwiches
    Wraps (Chicken, Steak, Ham)
    Tamale (Chicken, pork, steak)
    Salad (egg, tuna; regular w/ chicken
    soft taco (chicken, steak)

btw if you have a specific ideas for any of the general topics above that would also be great. Thanks guys.

One What?
    Sounds like you have a good plan in place. I stick to a lighter lunch like sandwich/wrap plus a fruit and veggie. Then I usually snack 1-2 times a day. Also I drink lots of water. Keeps me pretty fueled for the day and the ride home, but it's not to heavy that I want to go to sleep after lunch. That makes for a useless afternoon at work for me.

Moderator Moderator
    Well, I don't have the "more calories the better" problem, but if I did, I would add cheese to all of your ideas. Another idea is that some sandwiches travel better "unbuilt"; for example, get some leakproof plasticware for your tuna salad, and put it on the bread and slice your tomato if you like, at lunchtime. Less soggy and less beat up by the commute.

CB of the East
    My lunch is almost always what was left from dinner the night before. Some kind of leak proof container in a gallon ziplock for safety.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kdirk View Post
    What are some good ideas for lunch? School starts soon and I dont want to spend $5+/day since I wont have a job during school, and would like to keep it taht way. I have a bunch of snacks, but those arent nearly as good as a good lunch. Must not require cooking at school, but there is a microwave in the lunch room. Id also like not too salty/sodium filled options, im not picky about the macros. Id also prefer something I prepare at home to keep it healthier. The more calories the better.

So far my ideas are:
    Sandwiches
    Wraps (Chicken, Steak, Ham)
    Tamale (Chicken, pork, steak)
    Salad (egg, tuna; regular w/ chicken
    soft taco (chicken, steak)

btw if you have a specific ideas for any of the general topics above that would also be great. Thanks guys.
    Hard boiled eggs

mtbr member
    Adding to unbuilt: Provided a knife suitable for cutting tomatoes is not verboten, take the tomato whole and slice and add to sandwich before eating. Tomato oxidizes quickly, it reacts with cheese, and the juice soaks into the bread in an unappetizing way. Snack size baggies with pickles, olives, nuts, or trail mix add a nice touch. In addition to the chicken salad, ham, tuna, and salmon salad are all better if the sandwich is built just prior to consumption.

Soup heated in a microwave can add a quantum level of delight to the lunch you brought.

Never thought that decades of carrying a lunch would be useful.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like yogurt, banana and granola mixed together for snacks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    A simple, cheap favorite of mine is black beans + rice + (good) salsa in a bowl. Microwave, mix thoroughly, enjoy. You can add just about anything you'd add to a burrito to enhance it since it essentially is a burrito without the wrap, but particular favorites of mine are cheese, sour cream, avocado, or some good old lettuce (don't microwave it).

Also: there's no shame in leftovers. They bring me such great joy at lunchtime.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I like yogurt, banana and granola mixed together for snacks.
    Those frozen Maine blueberries are excellent in this mix too. I mix them with some yogurt (cheaper by the pint or quart) at home and they are thawed by the time I get to work and eat breakfast. I have left them in the freezer at work too, and they don't take long to thaw when mixed in yogurt.

Members who have read this thread: 0