Lunch Rides- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lunch Rides

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009

New question here. Lunch Rides

hey guys...who does this?

what do you normally do to ride on your lunch break? how is your day in terms of food that day?

is it an one hour lunch break enough to do it?

Now that I have a shower at the office I think I could do a couple of lunch rides during the week, I have a nice park just two blocks from the office and would be nice to go for a couple of loops and burn some extra calories if it is actually possible.

I'm guessing: have a mid morning carb snack and using my lunch time like this: 10 min to change to my cycling gear and leave the office...30 min ride..20 min to cool down/shower/change and get back to the office...then having another snack later at my desk. Too much trouble for a 30 min ride?...not getting a shower is not an option with our 100 F noons.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Did it in 2006/07 training for the Trans Rockies....great fun...we had maybe 4 or 5 riders 3 or 4 times a week..eat a good big breakfast, eat a big snack at 10:00 ride then eat a big snack at 3:00, then ride home and eat a big dinner at 7:00....Also eat lots of iron and protein.

The pounds will drop off quickly, be sure you stay hydrated.

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, I used to do that all the time, but I must admit that now that I bikecommute I am less enamored with the rush rush of the 1hr lunch ride. I think you can speed up your shower time to make the ride a little longer!

mtbr member
    I'll go for quick rides at lunch a few times a week. Usually just about a half hour of riding time, which leaves me plenty of time to change and have a snack. I'm also not dealing with 100F. I try to keep them pretty fun and easy, though. Maybe practice some skills and just fool around. For awhile I was riding every day at lunch, but by the end of the week I was beat. So now I just go a few times a week, which leaves me with plenty of energy to play around on the ride home.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    yes xplorer, I thought about the rush...but now my commutes won't even be adding 10 miles total...I have to be at my desk at 7:30 am, so waking up earlier than I already do to have a long morning ride doesn't sound like having fun to me; and at the end of the day I just want to be at home....I've been required at the office some extra time lately

I'll try one day and see how it goes...now that the morning commute is shorter and I have to pass almost trough the park I also may give the long morning ride a shot too.

I definitely need some of what Jeff said in his last sentence...one month doing nothing and I'm pretty sure 5 kgs are already back!

thanks guys, it is interesting to read what everyone is doing for a ride break

mtbr member
    I'd love to do it, I just don't think it's enough time to be worth the effort though. This morning I times how long it takes me to get from my desk to the gym to shower and back to my desk, it was 21 minutes (the gym is 6 floors below me and down a long hallway). I could probably shave a few mins off with some smart thinking, add in a few minutes to change and get down to my bike, unlock it, and we're talking 30-35 minutes of riding time. I ride 25 minutes to work and 25 home, so that extra 30 just doesn't seem worth it. I usually go for a lap or two around the outside of the building and take the stairs down and up all 6 flights. I also sometimes add 4 or 5 miles to my commute, depending on whether I'm riding after work with friends that day.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I'd love to do it, I just don't think it's enough time to be worth the effort though. This morning I times how long it takes me to get from my desk to the gym to shower and back to my desk, it was 21 minutes (the gym is 6 floors below me and down a long hallway). I could probably shave a few mins off with some smart thinking, add in a few minutes to change and get down to my bike, unlock it, and we're talking 30-35 minutes of riding time. I ride 25 minutes to work and 25 home, so that extra 30 just doesn't seem worth it. I usually go for a lap or two around the outside of the building and take the stairs down and up all 6 flights. I also sometimes add 4 or 5 miles to my commute, depending on whether I'm riding after work with friends that day.
    There is a skate park about 3 minutes ride from our building....got anything like that around there.

weirdo
    It doesn`t sound worth the trouble to me for a half hour ride, but maybe it is to you. If it were me looking for more mileage, I`d probably get up earlier and get in some extra distance in the mornings before the temps shoot up. I know, not your thing.

I only ride at lunch if I need to run to the store for something. Lunch break is officially only a half hour- we usually take a little more, but Murphy`s Law says that there will be a call over the radio for me in that time when I`m out somewhere while I`m supposed to be in the plant working.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ride during lunch now about 4 days per week. I used to run at lunch, but with the higher temps in the summer I switched to riding so that I'm not too sweaty after my shower. My schedule usually involves a light breakfast/snack around 10am at my desk, leave right at 12 if possible to go to the shower room and change. I am riding out the front gate at around 12:10. I get about 37-38 minutes of a ride in and I'm in the shower by 12:50. That gets me back to my desk right at 1 or as late as 1:05 if I ran into any delays. Having developed the run/ride habit, I really miss the days when I don't do something at lunch. I feel better in the afternoon than on days when I don't ride. My commuter is a mountain bike with slick tires and the road is somewhat hilly, but I get 10.3 miles in each day at lunch and I am able to see my wife (her office is my turnaround point) if I have some extra time.