Lubing Locks - What do you use?- Mtbr.com
    ~Disc~Golf~

New question here. Lubing Locks - What do you use?

I rarely lock my bike up - because it is rarely out of sight (or secured in another manner)
    So, tonight, I go to open up my NY 'Fahgettaboudit' to lock my bike at the disc golf park and I couldn't get it open. One of the cams would not release. I banged it against a pole and loosened it up.
    When I opened it, I noticed some minor rust on the "U" part and I imagine the cams have some rust too - enough to 'stickify' them.
    So do you guys lube your locks? U, cable, or otherwise?

I was thinking something light - like 3-n-1 or something...

Post your successes!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

weirdo
    Kryptonite has an FAQ on their website. Under "Maintenance", they give a few recomendations about lube, though no specific brands are mentioned.

FAQ

mtbr member
    Dry lube its like a fine gray powder.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bee View Post
    Dry lube its like a fine gray powder.
    drylube?
    graphite I think is what you mean
    - must not be a commuter

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Kryptonite has an FAQ on their website. Under "Maintenance", they give a few recomendations about lube, though no specific brands are mentioned.

FAQ
    yeah, I saw that...just wanting USER anecdotes

It's about showing up.
    stickify?

WD-40 and lots of it.
    I don't rattle.

~Disc~Golf~
    yes, stickify
    no to 'lots of it'' - I have to bag the thing - don't want WD leaking out on my stuff (paperwork etc)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I use T9 for the corrosion resistance since I lock up in a WI winter.

dirtbag
    'Nuther Boeshield T-9 user.

Spray and wipe of excess every couple months. Keeps rust at bay and lubes.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Graphite is going to be your best friend in this case. I use to use it a lot when i hauled frieght in and out Chicago, I had a combo lock in the door and it went through all sorts of nasty weather. Doesnt attract dirt as bad and when it got cold (-5), it wont get gummy. I think i have had this one lock for 4 or 5 years now and it nothing special.

~Disc~Golf~
    the problem I think w/ graphite is that it does not prevent corrosion and washes away w/ water...
    In dry conditions, I would not hesitate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Do not use WD-40 on locks. That is not a good lubricant at all; it will just attract dirt and get sticky.

For my car, I use Lock Ease aerosol maybe once a year to lubricate the lock cylinder. A quick burst is already too much for the lock cylinder. I think it comes in a plastic drip/squirt container also but Napa only had aerosol can at the time.

At another job, I did IT for an organization that has a complete facility maintenance shop. I was at the locksmith shop one day and he said he uses Triflow for the locks he services. I don't remember what reason he gave me though. I just remember seeing two boxes of Triflow aerosol in his shop. A lot of the buildings he services are right on the (fresh water) waterfront if that means anything to you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    In my experience Kryrtonite locks seem to freeze up due to rust (I ride a lot in the rain) much quicker than Abus or OnGuard. That being said, I use a Krypto NY U-lock for commuting, and lube it with an anti-corrosion penetrating oil I picked up at an auto-parts store. I find that this works better to prevent a 'stuck' lock better than an other of the many lubes I've tried.

On my Abus locks I use some Abus lock lube I got as a freebie. The Abus locks never seem to freeze up, no matter how wet they've gotten.

weirdo
    "Do not use WD-40 on locks. That is not a good lubricant at all; it will just attract dirt and get sticky."

I don`t use anything in my lock, but I use WD40 frequently on other stuff around the house. It would be nice if it lasted longer, but it doesn`t seem to attract anything, and I`ve never had it get sticky.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    yes, stickify
    no to 'lots of it'' - I have to bag the thing - don't want WD leaking out on my stuff (paperwork etc)

I use aerosole WD40 with the small tube to drive lots of it deep into the works. I let it sit for a day or so and then drive the remainder out with high pressure air and wipie it down well.

Lock Ease sounds good.
    I don't rattle.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ yeah...re: lock ease - hadn't heard of it - wasn't lookin too hard either.
    It seems like the a good solution - graphite with a carrier/fixative

Boeshield or TriFlow also sounds good too

What about a wax-type lube like White lightning?
    -What say y'all?

Workin for the weekend!
    No oil, no waxes, it'll only create problems down the road. Dry Graphite in an aerosol is best for locks. Sticks to the tumblers in a lock and doesn't make a mess on the keys. Nothing else...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    ^^^ yeah...re: lock ease - hadn't heard of it - wasn't lookin too hard either.
    It seems like the a good solution - graphite with a carrier/fixative

Boeshield or TriFlow also sounds good too

What about a wax-type lube like White lightning?
    -What say y'all?
    I have had a Kryptonite for ~11 years of which I commuted with it for ~7 years and about once a year or so I would spray triflow into the lock mechanism when the lock started to get crunchy or sticky. Just spray the lock mechanism and then work it a number of times with the key to get the lube in and wipe off the excess. BTW, I commuted in Pittsburgh, so plenty of rain...

I would stay far away from wax lubes since the wax will attract dirt and build up inside the lock.

Never thought of graphite for this application, but graphite will gum up and/or wash away when wet, so probably not a good idea.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    No oil, no waxes, it'll only create problems down the road. Dry Graphite in an aerosol is best for locks. Sticks to the tumblers in a lock and doesn't make a mess on the keys. Nothing else...
    Well, to be fair, I wasn't addressing the tumblers - It's the CAMS and the "U" itself I was interested in.
    I think wax would be fine there - unless anyone sees a prob. (prolly wont do it - just throwin' it out there)

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well, to be fair, I wasn't addressing the tumblers - It's the CAMS and the "U" itself I was interested in.
    I think wax would be fine there - unless anyone sees a prob. (prolly wont do it - just throwin' it out there)
    Not sure how'd you even go about this, but I rub wax candles on zippers to lubricate them...maybe something similar would work on the lock.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    Not sure how'd you even go about this, but I rub wax candles on zippers to lubricate them...maybe something similar would work on the lock.
    well, I wont do it ,just because I would have to buy one more thing, but I was talking about lubes that people might have at their disposal - like White Lightning (wax based)

actually 'waxing' the cams is a PITA for sure