Lube of Choice for Wet Cold Winter Commuting?- Mtbr.com
    high pivot witchcraft

Lube of Choice for Wet Cold Winter Commuting?

Just getting into the winter weather now. Any favorites for winter lube? I have had nothing but problems and bad experiences in prior winter seasons as a result of very poor choices of lube, some of which came highly recommended. Weather can range wildly over the winter months in my neck of the woods (minus 35 to plus 25 Celsius because of Chinooks, sometimes heavy snow, sometimes weeks of no new snow, lots of wet conditions). Because of the variations, I suspect it might be best to have a quiver of lubes, depending on the conditions. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've got one winter ridden using SquirtLube winter on Campy Record 11s chains. Much better than non-winter variety or my previous winter oil Finish Line Wet.

That's over 10 thousands km's yearly every day riding in Finland, almost arctic circle where we've got mostly real winter but because of oceanside wider variety in conditions.

For bearings got good tip from Alaska folks, Redline CV2 synthetic grease. Bike rolls as well in -25C as it does summer conditions. Also Shimano trigger works better when factory greasing is washed out and replaced with CV2.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    -Mika

Enthusiast
    I'm not fond of solvent-based and teflon and wax lubes in winter conditions. I like good, reliable oil when things get wet and sloppy. These days I'm running Chain-L winter and summer, and that's been working out well for me.

mtbr member
    Finish Line Wet lube-been using it in wet/snowy conditions for years and it's never let me down.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I'm not fond of solvent-based and teflon and wax lubes in winter conditions. I like good, reliable oil when things get wet and sloppy. These days I'm running Chain-L winter and summer, and that's been working out well for me.
    I've wondered about Chain-L. How often do you apply it? How often do you have to clean the drivetrain?

I use either the Nashbar Pro Wet or the Nashbar Dry lube. I've tried several others but none seem to be that great. I used Squirt for a while. That just seemed like it always needed more. I seem to burn through chains and cassettes in a hurry. It might be time to try something different.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Just getting into the winter weather now. Any favorites for winter lube? I have had nothing but problems and bad experiences in prior winter seasons as a result of very poor choices of lube, some of which came highly recommended. Weather can range wildly over the winter months in my neck of the woods (minus 35 to plus 25 Celsius because of Chinooks, sometimes heavy snow, sometimes weeks of no new snow, lots of wet conditions). Because of the variations, I suspect it might be best to have a quiver of lubes, depending on the conditions. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sounds like Calgary???

The salt is the killer, cold weather really no problem....

I have tried a lot of different lubes....catch a sunny Chinook with a lot of salt, and you really need to wash the bike, or at least the drive train.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I just use Finish Line Wet, it was we have in the shop I work at. In snow I think fenders will take your chain further than the lube you use, in rain you are going to need a nicer lube. I use a IGH so 8 speed chains are cheap.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I've wondered about Chain-L. How often do you apply it? How often do you have to clean the drivetrain?
    During summer I go weeks, sometimes more than a month between applications. I wipe the chain as best as possible after applying, and then usually again after each of the next couple rides. From there I wipe as needed to keep the sand and mud and grit away.

My mountain-bike chain right now is kind of bone-dry on the outside, but there's no squeaking or anything while riding and the chain seems supple enough that I figure there's enough lube on the inside. I plan to ride this afternoon, and won't lube it, probably won't lube it for a few more weeks.

I'm not saying that Chain-L is the end all and be all. Mainly, during winter, I think any wet lube is the way to go, at least where I live.

I have during winter sometimes had surface rust appear on the outside of a chain even though the chain seems lubed well enough on the inside. For what that's worth.

since 4/10/2009
    I used to use Finish Line wet for winter riding. I don't really commute much in wintertime, so it took a LONG time to burn through a bottle. It got grimy pretty easily, which I wasn't happy about. But when it was really nasty out, it worked well and stayed on the chain. Better still, it really seemed to repel winter gunk. So it required fairly regular attention to keep fairly clean.

I replaced it with the WD40 wet lube. I've kept my commuter chain lubed with that all summer and it's been working well in those conditions so far. Doesn't need to be applied very often, doesn't get as grimy in dry conditions. We'll see how it does in actual winter conditions this year.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    During summer I go weeks, sometimes more than a month between applications. I wipe the chain as best as possible after applying, and then usually again after each of the next couple rides. From there I wipe as needed to keep the sand and mud and grit away.

My mountain-bike chain right now is kind of bone-dry on the outside, but there's no squeaking or anything while riding and the chain seems supple enough that I figure there's enough lube on the inside. I plan to ride this afternoon, and won't lube it, probably won't lube it for a few more weeks.

I'm not saying that Chain-L is the end all and be all. Mainly, during winter, I think any wet lube is the way to go, at least where I live.

I have during winter sometimes had surface rust appear on the outside of a chain even though the chain seems lubed well enough on the inside. For what that's worth.
    Thanks! I ordered some Chain-L (Just got the joke when the bottle had something about #5 on it, Chain-L #5 - No wonder it is so expensive) I have used it for one whole ride already. So far, so good! LOL I'm hoping that it doesn't' build up the thick black road gunk that other lubes do. I plan to use it exclusively on that one bike to try it out and see what mileage I get out of the chain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I live in Michigan, so my chain gets a lot of salt spray in the winter. I start out by keeping the factory lube on the chain because it is really thick and lasts a long time. Once the chain needs additional lube, I've been using Finish Line Wet lube since dry lubes get washed off too easily. I use Finish Line brand because the local shop sells it, but I think any wet lube would work. The chain will get really dirty and trashed by the end of the winter, so I use a cheap chain and just replace it when it's worn. I usually wipe it down with a rag after adding oil, but otherwise I don't bother cleaning the chain since it's an exercise in futility and my chains are inexpensive (time > money).

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Get another chain. Used motor oil. Keep one soaking in it. When you come back from a nasty ride, take the chain off, get a piece of wire and dangle it in the oil. Pull the other one out and let it drip for an hour. Wipe it off, put it on. This will work, but still isn't the best for an external gear bike, quickie links be damned! This method worked for me because I do my own vehicle maintenance and have a 5 gallon bucket for waste oil. Others, maybe not.

mtbr member
    If you ride on the road in the rain it doesn't really matter what lube you use, it'll get washed off. I just keep throwing oil at the chain occasionally and I don't have any problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yup, gonna make a mess.