Looking for a SS commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Looking for a SS commuter

Looking for a bike or a frame to build up with the following critera:
    1 SS ready. No EBB, no tensioner pulleys, etc. 120 or 130 rear spacing is fine.
    2 not too flashy or expensive. It's going to be locked up outside and out of the elements most of the time. I have a secure, dry place under a stairwell just outside my apartment.
    3 big tire (700x32) and fender friendly.
    4 drop bars.
    5 light enough to be comfortable tackling the hilly urban terrain of metro Atlanta and ride long (30-50 mile) rides around town but tough enough to take daily abuse.
    6 Steel and canti brakes are good, but not deal breakers. Cantis would be nice so i could put knobbies on it and ride some fire roads.

Here's the catch: working at a bike shop compells me to get something that i can get cheap- QBP, Hawley, Trek. This directs toward a few options-

A. Trek District S. install drop bars and ergo levers, which i already have. Most expenive option and leaves me with a lot of extra parts to donate to the bike co-op.

B. covert an old road bike to SS. this would probably be cheapest but it is surprisingly difficult to find a decent old road bike that is not being flipped for ten times its worth because it is "vintage." This is a waiting game for which i am running out of patience.

C. Surly Steamroller or Crosscheck. More expensive than most other options. I love Surly stuff but I would hate to spend that much on one and have to lock it up outside.

D. Fyxation Quiver. This frame will be available later this year, if I can wait for it.

E. On-One Pompino. It's cheaper to buy one of these direct from Titus than most of the options above, even with an industry discount.

F. Pake C'Mute- cheaper alternative to the Crosscheck and might have more comfortable geometry for my purposes.

Anything I missed?

since 4/10/2009
    if you're looking at a Pompino, consider a Pompetamine, too. Disc brakes instead of cantis, but meets all of your other requirements with 135 rear spacing. I have 700x32's with fenders right now. it's supposed to fit 700x35 with fenders and something like 700x40 without. I have some 700x38's I use without fenders and they're a tight fit, but they're Spesh tires and their tires tend to run a little big, IME.

mtbr member
    I was considering the Pompetamine, i have some road bb7's sitting in my parts bin, but i would need to buy new wheels with disc hubs. it would be a big investment of extra parts for a beater/commuter. i am trying to work with parts i already have. and it would basically be a skinny-tire version of my Karate Monkey mtb (single speed, rigid fork). if i am going to do that, i'll just buy a second wheelset for my Monkey...

but then i would need to constantly swap the bars, the wheels, the chainring, etc. i can't easily swap the giant tires on my Monkey for pavement tires because it's set up tubeless. plus, if i decide to ride my bike to work one day, then ride trails the next, then i have to work the next day... that's a lot of time spent fiddling with my bike when I could be riding.

since 4/10/2009
    fair enough. the wheels for my pompetamine were definitely the largest expense of the entire project. as I understand, it is VERY similar to the pompino in a lot of respects. you can't go wrong with On-One's bikes. I'm very pleased with mine.

crap magnet

Nature Boy

I do love my All City Nature Boy. It may be a bit more than you're willing spend but it is a QBP house brand so you might get a good deal. Other than the price, I think it meets all your criteria. I'd be reluctant to leave it locked outside though.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Natural Born Killer
    Origin 8 CX700, or Planet X kaffenback. Both very affordable and versatile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    The Nature Boy still might be on my list. not sure I think it's enough bike for the price though.

I am a fan of Origin 8 stuff, but those come from J&B and i don't have access to any of that. bummer.

Natural Born Killer
    C-mute sounds like it will be your best QBP option, unless I'm missing something.
    What does a Soma Double Cross do for you?
    Never mind that's not single speed.
    Any track frames out there that would suit your needs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

jrm
    mtbr member

E is for EDIT

Bought a pompino frame and fork from titus last weekend as well as a sturmey archer 2 spd kick back hub which im going to lace to a mavic OP. The rest of the builds coming from the parts bin.
    Last edited by jrm; 10-09-2012 at 07:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I really like my Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno as a commuter. I ended up replacing the saddle, seatpost, and handlebars but the frame is fantastic and it's really cheap.

I need to get a post up with new changes following a summer of commuting on it...

rho
    Life is strange
    That On One Pompino looks nice...

And the pompetamine looks great as well.

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    I ordered a Pompino, which should be in today. I think I can build the whole thing with old parts that I have. I'll post some photos when it's done.

edit: christmas in October!

Last edited by mack_turtle; 10-09-2012 at 12:01 PM.

jrm
    mtbr member

So far

1st revision. Need to get the gearing dialed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a SS commuter-pompino-1.jpg  

Looking for a SS commuter-pompino-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    medium Pomino, Surly Crosscheck fork, tall Salsa stem, some Diacompe cantis, 32c Bontrager hardcases, Cane Creek levers, SKS Chromoplastics, 40/16 gear ratio. built it almost entirely on stuff I had in the spare parts bin and gifts from friends. so fun!

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Nice build. A buddy of mine rides one everywhere. He also has a Cotic Road Rat that he built up to similar specs. I like the Cotic a little better to be honest. That's probably because I'm partial to the bright orange color!

jrm
    mtbr member

Like the blue better

then the pearl white with glow in the dark decals thats for sure. Nice build

since 4/10/2009
    Love the blue frame, but that fork is hideous next to it. Any chance of getting it painted black or something?

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    medium Pomino, Surly Crosscheck fork, tall Salsa stem, some Diacompe cantis, 32c Bontrager hardcases, Cane Creek levers, SKS Chromoplastics, 40/16 gear ratio. built it almost entirely on stuff I had in the spare parts bin and gifts from friends. so fun!

So nice! Have wanted to build something like this ever since I sold my Bianchi San Jose. Looks like a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It's nice to read the good comments about on-ones frames. I just ordered a Pompetamine this week to build up as a commuter.

Members who have read this thread: 0