Looking for a SS commuter

Printable View

• 09-26-2012
    mack_turtle
    Looking for a SS commuter
    Looking for a bike or a frame to build up with the following critera:
    1 SS ready. No EBB, no tensioner pulleys, etc. 120 or 130 rear spacing is fine.
    2 not too flashy or expensive. It's going to be locked up outside and out of the elements most of the time. I have a secure, dry place under a stairwell just outside my apartment.
    3 big tire (700x32) and fender friendly.
    4 drop bars.
    5 light enough to be comfortable tackling the hilly urban terrain of metro Atlanta and ride long (30-50 mile) rides around town but tough enough to take daily abuse.
    6 Steel and canti brakes are good, but not deal breakers. Cantis would be nice so i could put knobbies on it and ride some fire roads.

Here's the catch: working at a bike shop compells me to get something that i can get cheap- QBP, Hawley, Trek. This directs toward a few options-

A. Trek District S. install drop bars and ergo levers, which i already have. Most expenive option and leaves me with a lot of extra parts to donate to the bike co-op.

B. covert an old road bike to SS. this would probably be cheapest but it is surprisingly difficult to find a decent old road bike that is not being flipped for ten times its worth because it is "vintage." This is a waiting game for which i am running out of patience.

C. Surly Steamroller or Crosscheck. More expensive than most other options. I love Surly stuff but I would hate to spend that much on one and have to lock it up outside.

D. Fyxation Quiver. This frame will be available later this year, if I can wait for it.

E. On-One Pompino. It's cheaper to buy one of these direct from Titus than most of the options above, even with an industry discount.

F. Pake C'Mute- cheaper alternative to the Crosscheck and might have more comfortable geometry for my purposes.

Anything I missed?
  • 09-26-2012
    Harold
    if you're looking at a Pompino, consider a Pompetamine, too. Disc brakes instead of cantis, but meets all of your other requirements with 135 rear spacing. I have 700x32's with fenders right now. it's supposed to fit 700x35 with fenders and something like 700x40 without. I have some 700x38's I use without fenders and they're a tight fit, but they're Spesh tires and their tires tend to run a little big, IME.
  • 09-26-2012
    mack_turtle
    I was considering the Pompetamine, i have some road bb7's sitting in my parts bin, but i would need to buy new wheels with disc hubs. it would be a big investment of extra parts for a beater/commuter. i am trying to work with parts i already have. and it would basically be a skinny-tire version of my Karate Monkey mtb (single speed, rigid fork). if i am going to do that, i'll just buy a second wheelset for my Monkey...

but then i would need to constantly swap the bars, the wheels, the chainring, etc. i can't easily swap the giant tires on my Monkey for pavement tires because it's set up tubeless. plus, if i decide to ride my bike to work one day, then ride trails the next, then i have to work the next day... that's a lot of time spent fiddling with my bike when I could be riding.
  • 09-26-2012
    Harold
    fair enough. the wheels for my pompetamine were definitely the largest expense of the entire project. as I understand, it is VERY similar to the pompino in a lot of respects. you can't go wrong with On-One's bikes. I'm very pleased with mine.
  • 09-26-2012
    cdaddy
    Nature Boy
    I do love my All City Nature Boy. It may be a bit more than you're willing spend but it is a QBP house brand so you might get a good deal. Other than the price, I think it meets all your criteria. I'd be reluctant to leave it locked outside though.

• 09-26-2012
    nemhed
    Origin 8 CX700, or Planet X kaffenback. Both very affordable and versatile.
  • 09-26-2012
    mack_turtle
    The Nature Boy still might be on my list. not sure I think it's enough bike for the price though.

I am a fan of Origin 8 stuff, but those come from J&B and i don't have access to any of that. bummer.
  • 09-26-2012
    nemhed
    C-mute sounds like it will be your best QBP option, unless I'm missing something.
    What does a Soma Double Cross do for you?
    Never mind that's not single speed.
    Any track frames out there that would suit your needs?
  • 10-01-2012
    jrm
    E is for EDIT
    Bought a pompino frame and fork from titus last weekend as well as a sturmey archer 2 spd kick back hub which im going to lace to a mavic OP. The rest of the builds coming from the parts bin.
  • 10-01-2012
    VTRC
    I really like my Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno as a commuter. I ended up replacing the saddle, seatpost, and handlebars but the frame is fantastic and it's really cheap.

I need to get a post up with new changes following a summer of commuting on it...
  • 10-03-2012
    rho
    That On One Pompino looks nice...

And the pompetamine looks great as well.

Sent by smoke signal.
  • 10-09-2012
    mack_turtle
    I ordered a Pompino, which should be in today. I think I can build the whole thing with old parts that I have. I'll post some photos when it's done.

edit: christmas in October!

• 10-19-2012
    jrm
    2 Attachment(s)
    So far
    1st revision. Need to get the gearing dialed.
  • 10-19-2012
    mack_turtle
    medium Pomino, Surly Crosscheck fork, tall Salsa stem, some Diacompe cantis, 32c Bontrager hardcases, Cane Creek levers, SKS Chromoplastics, 40/16 gear ratio. built it almost entirely on stuff I had in the spare parts bin and gifts from friends. so fun!

• 10-20-2012
    hunter006
    Nice build. A buddy of mine rides one everywhere. He also has a Cotic Road Rat that he built up to similar specs. I like the Cotic a little better to be honest. That's probably because I'm partial to the bright orange color!
  • 10-20-2012
    jrm
    Like the blue better
    then the pearl white with glow in the dark decals thats for sure. Nice build
  • 10-20-2012
    Harold
    Love the blue frame, but that fork is hideous next to it. Any chance of getting it painted black or something?
  • 10-20-2012
    CycleAddict
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    medium Pomino, Surly Crosscheck fork, tall Salsa stem, some Diacompe cantis, 32c Bontrager hardcases, Cane Creek levers, SKS Chromoplastics, 40/16 gear ratio. built it almost entirely on stuff I had in the spare parts bin and gifts from friends. so fun!

So nice! Have wanted to build something like this ever since I sold my Bianchi San Jose. Looks like a fun bike.
  • 11-04-2012
    BigWickerJim
    It's nice to read the good comments about on-ones frames. I just ordered a Pompetamine this week to build up as a commuter.