Looking for Saddle for trails and Commuting?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Looking for Saddle for trails and Commuting?

I want a comfy life lasting saddle that allows comfort riding on road for commuting and weekend AM riding. Looking at Brooks (who doesn't) .

I use a XC/AM hardtail 26" with raceking 2.2 currently for commuting.

Bedwards Of The West
    I've had good luck with Selle Italia. I have one of theirs I've used for mtb, commuting, and all-day-in-the-saddle touring. If you find one that fits your butt, there's no rules about what you can and can't use it for.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a Team Professional on my bike, and am quite satisfied with it, though I do have a 'regular' saddle that I put on when I'm riding trails exclusively.

Leather comes with a price, other than the monetary one: special care. You need fenders and a rain cover (included) when it is wet, and it doesn't take kindly to falls/abrasions on the ground; I use the cover when I'm riding anywhere I have a good chance of falling, and it protects the saddle fairly well. That said, I've seen Brooks that are 40 years old, and I'm sure there are older ones out there. Perhaps the biggest downfall of leather saddles re: modern buyers is that they have a break in period, typically 100+ miles, before you'll really see any of the comfort benefits.

Now, the good stuff: longevity (see above), it molds to your butt, and it offers both support and cush, due to being suspended leather...something that modern saddles are only starting to catch up to. It's also a serious piece of bike bling, along with CK headsets/hubs and Thompson seatposts/stems.

There are a number of models that could suit your needs (B-17/B-17 narrow, Team Pro, Swift, Swallow) but the most important thing to consider when buying any saddle is your sit-bone width. It doesn't matter how good the saddle is--if your sit bones are off the sides, it will be massively uncomfortable.

Also, look at WTB saddles (I like the "V" and the Volt series). Price can be as expensive as you want, but the 'team' level saddles are just as expensive as a B-17 in many cases, though, arguably, much lighter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HCR32GTSTYPEM View Post
    I want a comfy life lasting saddle that allows comfort riding on road for commuting and weekend AM riding. Looking at Brooks (who doesn't) .

I use a XC/AM hardtail 26" with raceking 2.2 currently for commuting.
    I hate Brooks saddles they hurt my ass really bad.

I ride the same saddle for trails and commuting Specialized Avatar middle width with the cutout.

Bedwards Of The West
    I like the idea of having a nice well-worn Brooks saddle, but I'm never going to put one ounce of thought into my seat once I put it on the bike. A bike seat that requires maintenance is just something I can't wrap my mind around. Can't do that to myself.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    I have Specialized saddles on all my bikes. I use the Ariel & Lithia women's models, but I'm sure they have similar mens models. Comfy, well made, and look brand new with no care. I'm usually not that big on the big S, but my impression is that they actually put some money into researching the ergonomics of their saddles, making them better than most.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Oh, one more thing about the Brooks: the listed saddle width is the width of the metal frame. You should not sit on the frame, otherwise you will be hurting. Take off 2cms from the posted width for the frame, and that's where you will be able to comfortably sit.

They forget to tell you that, and it definitely impacts the experience.

Commuterboy: it takes about 1-2 weeks of proofing the saddle when you get it, then you can leave it be for 6-12 months at a go. You can also adjust the tension on the saddle, which affects how cushy/supportive the saddle is (don't go overboard, leather stretches permanently!)

mtbr member
    ^^ I had a B15 (like a B17 Narrow) for 39 years but I did not ride it for four years just before its demise over 12 months caused by it getting too dried out. Now have a B17 on the very upright errand bike, and a Team Professional on The Duchess. If they fit they are great once you get past the first 6 months. Worth a look: Velo-Orange has a line of leather saddles a bit less money but I don't know how well they compare.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Asking other people about saddle brands or models is almost futile. Just try as many as you possibly can and then ask your butt which is best. Some cheap ways to do that are to hit up friends for the boxes of saddles they have stashed in their closets (most of them probably went through a lot of them also), dig through "take off" saddles from an LBS, buy from co-ops or other used bike sources, order from places that will let you return one just because you don`t like it. When you find one you can live with, hang on to it even if you keep up the quest. Then pray that your magic saddle doesn`t get the axe and go out of production!
    Recalculating....

toscano
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I hate Brooks saddles they hurt my ass really bad.

I ride the same saddle for trails and commuting Specialized Avatar middle width with the cutout.
    ...me too!!

Members who have read this thread: 0