Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for a reliable, relatively affordable 26" commuter wheeleset

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AndrwSwitch 
#1 ·
I ride to work everyday on my 2006 Kona Unit. I'm looking to get a second wheelset to use during the summer with my 2.35" Schwalbe Fat Franks. I dont need anything thats light or super fancy, just a reliable, relatively true wheelset with machined surfaces that will take a singlespeed freewheel (i dont even care if I need to use spacers). I was looking at something like this: MACH 1 1.5 8/9 SPEED 26X1.5 XC-TYPE MOUNTAIN BIKE BICYCLE SHIMANO WHEELSET 26" | eBay

Is that about as good as I can do for that price?

#2 ·
I have the Performance Terra Max wheels on my SS and they have been bullet proof!! They accept both kind of brakes, and I have yet to have to touch them with a spoke wrench! This is mainly been beating them on single track! Worth the $$ for a decent replacement wheelset!

#3 ·
The paired spokes would give me some pause. I'd rather not have funky lacing period, even more so on an inexpensive wheel.

I got some wheels from these guys a while ago. They have a few V-brake models. Not sure if they have any that are price-competitive, though - I didn't comb through the site. Since you want brake tracks, it's a little harder.

Mountain - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse

Dimension also makes some really inexpensive wheels with plain 32-spoke builds. That's another option I'd be looking at if I did see a price I liked on BWW. Dimension wheels are likely machine built, so you can get better longevity if you tune them up yourself when you get them. BWW wheels are hand built to a pretty high standard of quality, which is nice. I haven't had to think about mine except for the time I caught a stick in the rear wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.