• 10-12-2012
    bikedreamer
    Looking for a multi pocketed backpack for commuting.
    I currently use this pack for commuting: MEC Deluxe Book Bag Daypack - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Overall, it's a great pack. It has 2 large compartments, one smaller compartment, and multiple pockets. I like keeping things separated - lunch is in one compartment, bottled drinks and a thermos in the other, bike tools in one pocket, and so on.

Only problem with the pack is the zippers tend to go after about a year or so of use. While MEC will generally fix or replace whatever they sell, I am still thinking that I might be better off with something else. Something more durable.

Can anyone offer advice on an alternative pack that isn't going to cost a lot of coin (comparitively speaking), that has the same qualities as my current pack? Oh, and has padding where it makes contact with my back?
  • 10-13-2012
    4SEVEN3
    Ive had good luck with Ogio gear and they have all kins of different bags!
  • 10-13-2012
    rollinlegend
    Look into the military bags from Camelbak or any bag from them. I have had my for 7 years with daily use of heavy items. t has a lot of pockets and organize compartment for pens and etc. Best bag I have every used. Its called Camelbak Motherlode.
  • 10-14-2012
    henrymiller
    Deuter trans alpine 25 or 30.
  • 10-15-2012
    bikeCOLORADO
    Maxpedition.

Tactical Nylon Gear Backpacks, Military Assault Packs for Bug Out, Survival, Outdoor

Added bonus...many of the bags have conceal carry compartments.
  • 10-15-2012
    CommuterBoy
    I've got 5 years or so on my North Face Slingshot... probably not as many pockets as you sound like you want, but it's been very durable. The only thing that has deteriorated over time is the waterproof abilities...
  • 10-18-2012
    bikedreamer
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by henrymiller View Post
    Deuter trans alpine 25 or 30.

Ever have a problem with the bottom zipper on that pack? Is it connected to the main pocket, or is it a separate compartment? I dunno - something about that design has me nervous that I'll hit a bump while riding and end up with the contents of my pack lying all over the road. Keeping in mind that I might be carrying 4 bottles full of water, along with a thermos or two.
  • 10-20-2012
    JasonRider
    I would suggest the Ogio Dakar 1950. I have the one in stealth. It has it's own removable hydration system. And it has multiple pockets. I take it for my 23 mile commute to work. Hydrating with it is very convenient. I take all my clothes with it and still have plenty room to spare. It is also very comfortable.
  • 10-20-2012
    JasonRider
    btw the Ogio brand has lifetime warranty on their gear. They are very fast at responding. They received my claim letter on Tuesday, I had a replacement on Thursday on my front door.