Looking for a light weight carbon disc fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for a light weight carbon disc fork

I'm am looking to build a road/commuter bike with disc brakes. I will use this bike as a road training bike and will ride it to work on occasions. The bike must be light enough to keep-up on local road training rides and durable enough for commuting. I am looking for a reasonable aero carbon road fork that is disc brake specific. So far, my Googleing has produced very few results. Anyone have any good suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you take a look at cyclocross forks you will have a much easier time finding a fork with disc tabs.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Just found this one. Gotta do a little research but so far it looks like it meets most of my criteria.

http://www.greatgocycles.com.tw/prod....php?t=2&n=127

Fat-tired Roadie
    Redline and Bontrager both make carbon disc forks for 700C. I'm restraining myself from saying, "Just ride your LeMond," but if you're happy with the fork on it, why not just get another? Redline's forks were recalled a while ago, but they've generally been a very well-regarded brand for cyclocross framesets, so it surprised me.

You're not going to find a narrow, tight-clearance road fork with a disc tab. But it's nice to have a real front fender for commuting.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Redline and Bontrager both make carbon disc forks for 700C. I'm restraining myself from saying, "Just ride your LeMond," but if you're happy with the fork on it, why not just get another? Redline's forks were recalled a while ago, but they've generally been a very well-regarded brand for cyclocross framesets, so it surprised me.

You're not going to find a narrow, tight-clearance road fork with a disc tab. But it's nice to have a real front fender for commuting.
    The LeMond is a fine enough bike but I would like to build a lighter, faster, more road specific bike with disc brakes. I have wanted a "disc road bike" since I bought my first disc equipped mtn bike some 8 years ago. I live in a mountainous area and strong weather resistant brakes are a good thing in the places where I ride. I don't care if my bike conforms to roadie standards, I just want, what I want, and presently no one makes, what I want.

Thinking of a Lynskey Pro Cross with a few tweaks here and there. Maybe lower BB clearance, disc tabs, different cable routing and mtn bike spacing in the rear.

Fat-tired Roadie
    A friend of mine does most of his road training on a Trek Portland.

Of course, nothing will beat a custom bike for being exactly the bike you want. And I'll hate you for having one, in an abstract sort of a way.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    origin8 does a short a2c disc/roadie fork. think it was only 5 or 10mm longer than my lemond carbon fork so can't be too far off most.

looks good for tight clearances with a 35mm tire.
    (so wouldn't be 3 inches wide at the crown like some forks...)

EDIT: it's a steel fork, noone does carbon short a2c/disc, wound-up did custom-ish jobs for a while though, might find one of their old ones
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

I got nothin'
    I have a Winwood carbon disc fork. Very stiff, a little too stiff sometimes. It seems totally bomb proof.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=FK1240

I have a carbon Bontrager on my road bike which is much more plush, but not disc compatible.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Nothing better than Wound Up, it comes at a price though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bought my carbon disc cyclocross fork at nashbar a few years back for cheap. Maybe check them out. Back then people were saying it is the same as the Winwood...I can't say for sure but it rides well and was about 1.5lbs lighter than the steel fork it replaced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I also have the winwood carbon disc fork and have no complaints. It is fairly light, stiff, and looks good. I would buy it again if I needed another fork.

enjoys skidding
    Worth considering a Kona Honky Inc?

Members who have read this thread: 0