looking for good al-round commuting tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

looking for good al-round commuting tire

what is a good all weather commuting tire that is puncture resistant, good wet weather traction AND light ? does such a combo exist ?

mtbr member
    Some more info would be helpful. 26, 700c, width?. How much/what kind of weather? If you search here there is a lot of discussion about tires too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    700c..ride mostly asphalt and hard packed trails.....

viva la v-brakes!
    I really like the panaracer pasela's, they've worked well for me on pavement, gravel and a little bit of trail.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I switch tires A LOT!!!! But on my commuter, I bought these about a year ago. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...595216-8458926.

For the first time ever, the thought of switching tires has not even crossed my mind. I like the low rolling resistance, the durability, and the reflective sidewall. Really a great tire. If you get a set, make sure you get a width that will fit your bike. I bought the 32s and they were slightly too big, so I had to grind a little bit off of my breaks and frame to make them fit. If I did it again, I would probably have gone with the 28s.

Air Pirate
    I have been using the Travel Contact from Continental for a bit. I have the 26" version, but they do offer two 700 c sizes, 37 and 42. I assume the 700 would work as well as the 26".

I have been very pleased with this tire. I have used it on my regular commute, which includes fire-road dirt, a tiny bit of singletrack, and lots of pavement on roads and bike path. It has a great PSI range, and for the most part I have been running it at 70 psi for less rolling resistance, although once I dropped it down to around 45 PSI when I rode completely dirt in a state park, handled very well on hardpack with a little loose gravel over it.

I have been in a couple of rains so for this season and it has gripped just fine. It is relatively light. The puncture resistance is superb. I was getting a couple of flats a week with some WTB Pathway tires with tire liners due to the goat-head thorns prevalent in my area. I have not had a flat yet since putting these things on months ago.

The only other tire I have used recently that works really well in all conditions and is very flat proof is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour HS 404. I dont know if they make this in a 700c, and to tell you the truth is the heaviest tire I think I have ever used, but the durability is grand. It is on a tandem that we have that sees as much dirt as it does pavement.

My daughter is now evaluating the Vittoria Randonneur Cross tires in 700c, but she has not had much time to do anything but pedal around the neighborhood. They seem very well regarded by tourists and commuters, very light, very durable. Supposed to excel in the wet.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Martathon Supreme. Great ride quality, bombproof puncture protection, good grip, kevlar bead. Great tires. They ain't cheap, though - $70 each

If you are willing to take several notches down on puncture resistance but bump up the lightness, ride and handling, the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season is a GREAT tire.

Finally, the Panaracer Pasela TG is by fa the most comfortable narrow (under 35mm) tire I've ridden, and the kevlar version is pretty light. The puncture resistance is good, but not great.

jrm
    mtbr member

About as much as the Vittoria Randonneur Hyper

And my choice of tire here in the bay area the panaracer Tservs for Messenger. They have a bit more directional tread and really are durable..

mtbr member
    I ride the Vittoria Randonneur, 700x28. Love them for mostly road with a bit of hard pack trails here and there. Problem is they are such a pain to mount. I am now trying a Michelin City Tire 700x28, but it is noticeably slower and squirms when cornering hard. Must find something else...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoneagle View Post
    Schwalbe Martathon Supreme. Great ride quality, bombproof puncture protection, good grip, kevlar bead. Great tires. They ain't cheap, though - $70 each

If you are willing to take several notches down on puncture resistance but bump up the lightness, ride and handling, the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season is a GREAT tire.

Finally, the Panaracer Pasela TG is by fa the most comfortable narrow (under 35mm) tire I've ridden, and the kevlar version is pretty light. The puncture resistance is good, but not great.
    Have you tried the Schwalbe Marathon Plus? Little easier price to swallow...

Singleton
    hi guys, how about folding bikes, arenít you considering them as good commuters? Coz Iím planning to get one soon as my all around commuter bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliam View Post
    hi guys, how about folding bikes, arenít you considering them as good commuters? Coz Iím planning to get one soon as my all around commuter bike.
    I think it depends on your circumstances. I commute in the Austin Suburbs, have a garage and can bring my bike inside at work. I value speed and ruggedness above all, so don't see any value in a folding bike. Your situation is probably much different. I think it's cool that there are so many choices to tailor a commuter to your needs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    I've heard the plus lacks the ride quality of the supreme, but is a solid all-rounder for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jrs67 View Post
    what is a good all weather commuting tire that is puncture resistant, good wet weather traction AND light ? does such a combo exist ?
    Look at either the Conti 4Seasons, or the Schawble Marathon Supreme. The thinest the Schabwle comes in is a 28mm, but the Conti goes down to 23mm.

I've used both of these tires extensively, and they both have great wet weather grip, are light (the Conti is noticeably lighter and faster but wears quicker) , and offer excellent puncture protection.,

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've tried both, and the MP rides like bricks compared to the MS. The MP is much heaver, and also much, much worse in the rain.

My wife used to bail all the time on her MP when going over tram tracks. She's solid with the MS.

If you are on a serious budget, one nice thing about the MP is that they seem to last forever....

weirdo
    Wheeliam, I don`t know why you asked about foldies out of the blue in this thread- may as start a new one on the subject. Yeah, a few people here ride folders, but I don`t think any of them follow all the new threads here, so they might not see your question for a while. Try it and see. If you don`t get the info you`re looking for, BFnet`s folder subforum is probably your best bet. Lots of knowledgeable folks over there who`ll be able to answer any questions you might have.

Folding Bikes

Singleton
    I think it depends on your circumstances. I commute in the Austin Suburbs, have a garage and can bring my bike inside at work. I value speed and ruggedness above all, so don't see any value in a folding bike. Your situation is probably much different. I think it's cool that there are so many choices to tailor a commuter to your needs.
    Hi Asmodeus, Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah that's true that a commuter bike must have at least 2 good qualities: fast and rigid.
    In my case, I travel a lot that's why I consider getting a more handy bike. Anyways so much for this I'm in the wrong thread. I'm sorry OP.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Wheeliam, I don`t know why you asked about foldies out of the blue in this thread- may as start a new one on the subject. Yeah, a few people here ride folders, but I don`t think any of them follow all the new threads here, so they might not see your question for a while. Try it and see. If you don`t get the info you`re looking for, BFnet`s folder subforum is probably your best bet. Lots of knowledgeable folks over there who`ll be able to answer any questions you might have.

Folding Bikes
    Hi rodar, oops not really my intention to hijack the thread. my bad. but this is an honest query and I might get good ideas from the link you've provided.

Thanks!

on topic: I'm currently running Big Apples on my 29er, aside from being heavy, BA does its job well. This is my all season tires. My friends are also using M Supreme and Panaracer they say those are light and perform well on slippery roads too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a 29er steel hardtail with 700x35c slick tires, the Forte line from Performance Bicycle (got them at a steal, but they do not have any protective lining). When cash permits I plan on buying some bomber Specialized Infinity Armadillos, until then I will just ride very carefully. The Infinities are nice because they have the siping for the wet and they are mad strong. The Borough XCs for Specialized look promising if you do gravel and mixed media.