Looking forward to my new commute this week- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

Looking forward to my new commute this week

Won't be starting it till Friday, but my commute to work is going from 22mi one way to 2mi one way. Totally stoked. I'll be LOOKING for the long route some days...but when I don't want it, I can still get to/from work BY BIKE in a reasonable amount of time.

I've got some Salsa Cowchipper bars on the way that should be arriving sometime midweek, also. I'm also pretty stoked about those. I may not be able to get them installed in time for my first commute to the new job, but it won't take too long. Got some ESI silicone bar tape for them.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Good luck with that new commute. I feel like it would be difficult for me if mine were to become that much shorter. It almost takes as much time to get ready to ride as it does to ride the 2 miles.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    2 miles is sweet, you can get away with wearing your work clothes and taking it steady so no need for a shower and still do it in about 10mins.
    Last year when I wasn't offshore my commute dropped from 8 to 10 miles one way to 1 mile from the hotel to the project office. I used to use my bike to go out for lunch and the like so I ended up doing about 4 or 5 miles on average per day.

I am going back to our fab yard for the next project in July, getting about that place is MTB territory, it's either a dust bowl or mud bath depending on the weather but last time I worked there I was averaging 8 to 12 miles per day just going round the various construction areas. Need a shower at the end the end of the day regardless of biking or not.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Good luck with that new commute. I feel like it would be difficult for me if mine were to become that much shorter. It almost takes as much time to get ready to ride as it does to ride the 2 miles.
    Nah

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    2 miles is sweet, you can get away with wearing your work clothes and taking it steady so no need for a shower and still do it in about 10mins.
    This, exactly. If I don't feel like taking the "long way", then I can just get on the bike and go. That also means that after my century in June, I'll move back to platform pedals to make this even easier. It also means I'll be better suited to commute on days with storms in the forecast. With a 22mi commute, I don't mess with that kind of forecast.

The new commute will also allow me to get close to a new market that's going to be opening up this year sometime. It's owned by some folks I know who also own a farm outside of town, where they raise chickens, cattle, and hogs. All pasture raised animals, butchered locally. They mountain bike, too. Three coffee shops (one Starbucks, two local joints) are nearby. My favorite brewpub (I think I'll be bringing growlers home by bike from time to time, I suspect) is right down the block.

NDD
    mtbr member
    That sounds like a really fortunate scenario. Good luck, and I hope you like it!
    dang

since 4/10/2009
    Love the new commute. Spent 20min of riding RT. Less than 5mi. A little bit of busy street, followed by some nice, quiet neighborhood riding.

New shop has a totally different culture. Lots more regular folks using their bikes for basic transport.

DSCF2672 by Nate, on Flickr