Looking for a custom rack builder- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Looking for a custom rack builder

Ive searched Google and so far have only been able to find 1 builder but he is a tad out of my price range. I was wondering if anyone had any links or such who builds racks that I have not yet been able to find?

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    don't know if he is looking for business, but I just read that rodar y rodar (he spend some time here) made his own racks...

weirdo
    You could try your hand at it if you have any inclination- the first would most likely cost you a lot unless you happen to have most of the required tools already, but it isn`t really outrageous and racks are fun and fairly simple projects that require a lot less stuff and special skills to build than frames or nice furniture. So, possible if you want, if you don`t have any desire to go that route, that`s cool too.

The only people I know of who build and sell custom racks are Bruce Gordon and Sakkit- not to say they are the only ones, but they`re the only ones I know of. Really, I would suggest asking local framebuilders if they`d build you a rack. Part of what makes custom anything so sweet is that it`s designed and built specifically for your purpose. That means nice small holes instead of ugly slots for bolts, no funky linkage to take away the stiffness and add unneeded weight, and fits just right because it only has to fit one bike, not every bike on the market. It also means that whoever builds the rack will need to have the bike on hand to get that nice custom fit. Gordon`s frames are supposedly custom, but it seems to me that he does a few models to certain designs, so you get a generic fit after all is said and done. I`m pretty sure Sakkit builds his racks for the individual bike- if that`s the case, he`ll need to have your bike on hand whenhe builds your rack. In any case, it`s gonna cost you. Whether the price is worth it or not is up to you.

EDIT: Robert Beckman`s (Sakkit) website appears to be down- hopefully you can still dig up some contact info if you really want.
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 03-28-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    Recalculating....

Ariolimax columbianus
    cleaver bikes http://cleaverbikes.com/gallery.htm
    this dudes stuff looks good, price might be right. or diy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks guys. I am looking into each of these builders now to see what I can find.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    ahearne cycles

Down South Yooper
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Members who have read this thread: 0