Looking for a custom fender fabricator- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for a custom fender fabricator

I thought the commuter board might be a good place to ask this question. I recently had a custom Lynskey mtn bike built and had water bottle mounts added to the chain stay and seat stay bridges. I used a Planet Bike plastic 700c fender on the rear to protect my butt from mud. It works okay but tapers down a little bit at the bottom and does not keep my front derailluer clean. I would love to find someone who builds fenders to make me a one-off rear fender for this bike. If anyone here has any good info that you could pass on, please advise. Below is a photo of the fender I have on the bike right now.

Thanks!

I'm SUCH a square....
    I have a fender from SKS, given to me, don't remember the exact model name of it, but it's the type that straps to the downtube. Placed properly, it may give you more coverage from the rear wheel. BUT, I have to wonder if you might need more protection from the front wheel -- THAT's where the worst of mine comes from!

Check out SKS -- maybe a pair of these may serve you.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

No-Brakes Cougar
    +1 for SKS fenders. The product name is Beavertail. They were my first set of fenders for commuting and are a decent, inexpensive way to go. All you need are attachment points at the seatstay bridge and fork crown, no eyelets necessary! I'm running Planet Bike full fenders now because I prefer the fuller coverage, but the SKS fenders are at least wide enough to cover your front derailleur. You might have to fiddle with them a bit to get them where you want them though.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    You can try this, http://www.velo-orange.com/fenders.html
    ... or for a really custom look: http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/

I am curious about why you want to go custom. There are several very effective and economical fender sources. I personally like Planet Bike which have held up for quite a few years despite the abuses I put them through: bike crashes, smacking and snagging the fenders as I rack the bike on trains and buses or crowded bike cages, and of course the obvious weather wear.
    I'm gravity challenged, adrenaline deficient, and looking for that endorphine high. Shout out, I'll move out of the way. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogliaghi
    I am curious about why you want to go custom. There are several very effective and economical fender sources. I personally like Planet Bike which have held up for quite a few years despite the abuses I put them through: bike crashes, smacking and snagging the fenders as I rack the bike on trains and buses or crowded bike cages, and of course the obvious weather wear.
    The Planet Bike is my favorite and that's what I'm using now. However, I would like more coverage at the BB/Chain Stay area and only a custom fabricated fender to my specs will offer that. Riding trails in the winter packs a lot of mud and ice there and I would like to stop that. Some years ago I had a Planet Bike fender on my 26" wheeled bike that worked perfectly. On a couple of epic rides the guys I was riding with had frozen derailluers. Because my derailuer was shielded from the ice, I was shifting all day and they were not. I haven't been able to find a 29" wheeled fender that offers enough coverage. Most big wheel fenders are for 700c, which is more narrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultz29
    ...On a couple of epic rides the guys I was riding with had frozen derailluers. Because my derailuer was shielded from the ice, I was shifting all day and they were not. I haven't been able to find a 29" wheeled fender that offers enough coverage...
    Ah so desu, 700c vs 29er, makes sense now, and of course on a high zoots Lynskey you gotta dress it up custom. For me I would probably go DIY and use a combo seatpost fender and add cut up soda bottles secured with zip ties behind the seat tube. It would look (F)ugly.
    I'm gravity challenged, adrenaline deficient, and looking for that endorphine high. Shout out, I'll move out of the way. :-)

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogliaghi
    Ah so desu, 700c vs 29er, makes sense now, and of course on a high zoots Lynskey you gotta dress it up custom. For me I would probably go DIY and use a combo seatpost fender and add cut up soda bottles secured with zip ties behind the seat tube. It would look (F)ugly.
    Would one of those downtube fenders fit a seat tube?

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Full coverage stainless at Peter Whites http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fenders.asp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Would one of those downtube fenders fit a seat tube?
    Probaby, but too nice lookin' ! I did a little Googlin, I figured someone else must've gone down that road already, et voila, yeah, (F)ugly!

...and there's more at: https://bikehacks.com/hack-of-a-hack...-modification/

Members who have read this thread: 0