Looking for a cheap SS commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Looking for a cheap SS commuter

So I'm moving off campus next year and I'm trying to find something to get me there! The 29er formerly had campus transport duties but now that I've added a suspension fork it's just too valuable to leave outside.

I'm looking for a cheap road bike (btwn. $200-$500) to commute with. I was thinking SS to reduce cost and maintenance but I wouldn't mind a derailleur hanger in case i want to add gears later or even an internal gear hub.

I'd like it to have the ability to run wide-ish tires (35c or so) just b/c I ride rough roads and hop curbs occasionally plus weather sometimes gets nasty.

I'd love to go used but I'm having no luck with Craig's list and ebay so I'm now looking elsewhere. I like the look of some of the bikes direct stuff particularly the Windsor Timeline The Mercier Kilo Stripper. I also saw some similar offerings from SE racing, the Draft I think.

I pretty well-versed when it comes to MTBs but with road bikes I have no idea what I'm looking at. Will these work ok? Is there anything better in my pricerange? Does anyone live in the Triad NC and have a bike to sell me?!

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904
    I like the look of some of the bikes direct stuff particularly the Windsor Timeline The Mercier Kilo Stripper. I also saw some similar offerings from SE racing, the Draft I think.
    That's pretty much what I was going to recommend. I would think either would be more than sufficient. Check the bike geometry measurements on Bikesdirect's website to be sure you're getting a frame size that's as close to your 29er as possible.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What about the Motobecane Messenger? I'm not sure if this is true but i heard that it's frame is made in Taiwan while the Windsors are made in China. Also the Moto has a Truvativ crank.

Do you think i could shove a 35c in there though?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a cheap SS commuter-img_3581.jpg  

Looking for a cheap SS commuter-img_3572.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No more input? Come on I can't be the only one looking for a cheap ss commuter!

mtbr member
    did you look at the Redline 925? Torker U District? REI Novara Transfer?(it's gear w/ a nexus internal, but they've got 20% off w/ coupon right now and free ship to the store makes the bike like $519 and it comes w/ lights, rack, and fenders; might be the best deal in town right now!) good luck. I'm looking at the same market myself. Surprised that there are some good choices at the $500 mark. I think there's a sweet spot in the market for a $500 bike. Sure, it's nice to support a small, American made company, but working folks can't always justify the $1 to 2K price tag on those bikes.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Just watch out on those road bikes I would look at the Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO since it is "WTF" ready says up to 42c tire. I kinda made the mistake of getting a cheap SS road bike but it wont fit anything bigger then a 28c which is way too small for a 230lbs man who occasionally goes over a curb. I just ordered a SS conversion kit for my 1997 Trek Mountain Track 800 Sport this bike has 1.5" tires on it now and can go wider, plus it's very nice steel.

I say look at Craigslist for the "diamond in the rough" deal.

EDIT: The ratio might be kinda crappy depending on how you ride or your terrain but cogs are cheap.

EDIT2: There is a REI right by me and those Novara bikes are quite amazing and come with some good components. I would see if you can also find a Specialized Globe IGH3 we have here in MN at Erik's for about $400 and they're 3 speed internal.

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. That Novara might be a bit too accessorized for my taste. With the Nexus and the generator in the hub that thing must weigh at least 35lbs! I'll just toss on my MTB lights as needed. The other two are more along the lines of what I'm looking for but I don't believe I have any dealers to access them around here.

I also found these on roadbikeoutlet.com. Yet another bobo brand.

I still like the moto simply because it looks nice and I know the frame is made in taiwan rather than China. That's about as far as my road bike knowledge goes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've never had one, but it caught my eye....

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st..._10000__201836

On sale for the low, low price of $199.99

I have no idea if it will make your tire width requirement.

I got nothin'

Draft SE?

How about one of these? Only $200.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Rusty, that Novara rig won't win any points w/ the weight conscious consumers out there! REdline and Torker are both distributed by Seattle Bikes, not sure how far east they go.

Mr. Pink, I just had that Novara rig cross my path when I received my REI dividend coupon in the mail. They really listened to the market by going from an aluminum frame to chromoly. Even at the full price of $649, I'm surprised at the value. I like the relaxed geometries on these bikes too. Most of the SS market has the aggressive track bike geometry, unless you go SS MTB, which w/ the 29er market expanding you can easily throw some 700's on there and run a commuter that way.

Members who have read this thread: 0