Longer commutes: Suggestions on getting to ride to work now that I have a baby- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Longer commutes: Suggestions on getting to ride to work now that I have a baby

Looking for some community brainstorming on ways to get in commuting now that I have a baby in the house (she's a month old).

Concerns:

Gotta support my wife - she needs some time to shower and get ready too. Makes a huge difference in her day and how happy she is, so this is super important. Doing so means I can't realistically get out the door until 7:30 or so. Since she takes care of the baby all day I also handle a lot of house stuff in the evening like making dinner and cleaning up.

My ride is 23 miles, which takes me about 1 hour 10 mins, and I need to shower post ride since I'm a sweaty stink-pile post-ride.

Fall and winter are approaching, along with time change so daylight hours are going to be limited.

What I have so far:

Drive to work with bike on the roof, ride home, ride to work in the AM, repeat. We have two cars so leaving one at work in a safe parking lot isn't a big deal.

Get some lights and just come home later. I don't have much experience riding after dark though, and getting home late at 7 might not be realistic (though I haven't broached the idea at home. I guess I could just delay a shower until before bed so I can dedicate time to getting dinner done, bath time for baby or whatever).

What else have you guys done or tried that has worked with your family? My wife is extremely understanding of my love for riding so I have a lot of leeway provided I'm not completely abandoning her with the baby in favor of getting in a ride. The answer could be that I just don't commute for now, and work out a ride in the afternoon when I get home, which would be fine. Work hours are flexible so it doesn't matter when I get here or go home, provided I put in eight hours and I'm takin' care of business.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    :wq

Fat-tired Roadie
    Do you need to put in 8 hours per day, or just 40 per week? Shortening one or two of your days might make bookending the day with bike commutes a lot more manageable.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I sometimes do the drive to work, ride home and then ride to work, drive home; I need to use my car for work so that is the only way I can get a work commute ride in. I just make sure that I think ahead and don't leave my car at work on a night when we might need both cars.

I will go ahead and bring my clothes in when I drive so they are already at work waiting for me to change in to. Also, I keep a bottle of body wash, a wash cloth and a larger drying towel and just do a simple wash cloth bathing in the bathroom when I get to work so I don't stink up the office all day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Drive part way?

Had a friend who had a LONG commute that he couldn't afford the time for most days. So, he'd throw the bike on top of the car and cut the commute down to a reasonable length. That way, no matter when he got out of the house or when he had to be at work, he could make the ride work.

No need to make it a ride/no ride decision. Work on "how long of a ride" instead.

mtbr member
    If you have shower facillities at work, since you have flexibility in how you do eight hours, you might do a shorter ride deal in the middle of the day when it is sunnier. Depends on bike security at work, too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ride faster, Matt.

Honestly, the delayed shower thing, and fewer commute days has worked in negotiations for me. The car/bike shuttle things sounds like a good plan, too.

In a year and a half or so, when she is older, you can get a trailer and you can get more riding back in after work.

I might think of some better ideas, but right now, my mind is still clouded by my hatred for you and your wonderful route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    Ride faster, Matt.

Honestly, the delayed shower thing, and fewer commute days has worked in negotiations for me. The car/bike shuttle things sounds like a good plan, too.

In a year and a half or so, when she is older, you can get a trailer and you can get more riding back in after work.

I might think of some better ideas, but right now, my mind is still clouded by my hatred for you and your wonderful route.
    <3 I'm ready to rock on the trailer. I bought that steel Allez Double..well, will tomorrow when it gets to the LBS

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I knew it was only a matter of time.

Bedwards Of The West
    Whatever works out, you're doing it right... working the commute in now with kid number 1 is critical. I'm on kid number 3 and if we hadn't established the routine, it would seem impossible to start now.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Whatever works out, you're doing it right... working the commute in now with kid number 1 is critical. I'm on kid number 3 and if we hadn't established the routine, it would seem impossible to start now.
    Yeah I've been on that since she was about 3 months pregnant. Luckily when I told her we would need to work something out so I could still ride she said "yeah obviously, it's important to me too that you still get to ride you bikes."

We're learning as we go with making sure the baby is cared for and each of us get to do our hobbies and have some alone time, as well as having quality together time (in and out of the house). It's going well, just all new territory

Members who have read this thread: 0