long commutes in Houston, TX?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

long commutes in Houston, TX?

This is an odd first post for me....

does anyone do long commutes (incorporating metro buses, etc...) in the houston, tx metro area?

I live in the heights and work out in cypress. is it just a pipe dream to commute out there via bus/bike? I mean on paper it seems to work out as my work is near the cypress park 'n ride... and according to metro, their long haul buses allow bikes in the cargo area (?!).

just trying to get some similar success stories to motivate me to give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I live in the Med Center and work in Clear Lake, and try as I might to find a safe route to ride in to work (I'm willing to ride up to about 30 miles each way a couple days a week for training), I can't find a safe route.

There are more bike lanes/paths on the North side of town, so you may be able to find an okay route from the Heights up to Cypress. It gets harder the further out of town you get, because you end up with no shoulder, fast-moving roads that are dangerous to cycle on.

I've never done it, but yes, the commuter buses allow bikes in the belly of the bus's cargo hold, much like a gray-hound bus or similar. I don't know the rules. I think they just lay it on its side with whatever else is down there (which probably isn't much if you're on a Metro Commuter Bus).

Good luck and post here how it goes. Commuting and transportation cycling in Houston is really difficult.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have been commuting from Westheimer and Wilcrest to Bissonett and 59 south. We recently moved office and now I commute to Memorial City. Both routes are just under 6 miles, which I consider to be a relatively short commute on a bike.

As short as this is, I still think it's a little difficult finding a safe route even when there are bike lanes (which are RARE in Houston). Unfortunately, Houston is absolutely PATHETIC when it comes to being cycling friendly. I feel like most drivers would rather run you off the road than deal with you being in their way. I actually think most people assume bicycles have no right to be on the road.

That said, I love riding to work and have had no real incidents since starting in July.

As far as commuting from the Heights to Cypress, anything is possible but I don't think Metro even goes out there with the city busses and I don't think park and ride busses allow for bicycles. I lived pretty close to cypress and I just don't see that happening.

I would love to see more bicycle commuters in Houston. I think the city will have to start some major initiatives to make that happen though and I don't see that happening.

Members who have read this thread: 0