Locking up outside at work- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Locking up outside at work

All,

I have searched and not found much about this. I commute once in a while to work, and would like to start riding when it is raining, but I am concerned about leaving my bike sitting in the rain for 8 to 10 hours - I commute on a Bianchi San Jose single speed..

Does anyone do this, and what do they do for maintenance to keep the bike functioning properly? Do you cover it or is this bad if the bike is already wet - I am thinking it would worse to cover it, especially if the weather clears.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bergjm
    All,

I have searched and not found much about this. I commute once in a while to work, and would like to start riding when it is raining, but I am concerned about leaving my bike sitting in the rain for 8 to 10 hours - I commute on a Bianchi San Jose single speed..

Does anyone do this, and what do they do for maintenance to keep the bike functioning properly? Do you cover it or is this bad if the bike is already wet - I am thinking it would worse to cover it, especially if the weather clears.

Thanks.
    Don''t lock up outside in public.. Its dangerous. Is it possible to negotiate to get yr bicycle into yr workplace?

My workplace is inside a guarded compound and I parked under shade. So it safe from theft and harsh weather...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just leave it. I park inside at my house but it's outside at work. I built the bike to get beat on. Just lube the chain regularly and run full coverage fenders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just use 2 locks, both kryptos, NY for frame and one wheel to whatever's big n solid, second evo 4 for other wheel to frame.
    but that's not OP's question.

I don't cover mine, ride year-round.
    I WILL cover the seat, if you have a leather seat it'll soak up water and sitting on that ever-chilly perch isn't fun.
    The beauty of something like your SJ is all you NEED to do is clean salt and road gunk off the drivetrain, make sure it's well-lubed, and check for chain/ring wear.
    Clean your rims every now and then too, accumulated mudgunk.
    Check your pads every month or so, I dug the steel post into a rim once because I hadn't realized my pads were so worn.
    Almost killed the rim for want of replacement brake pads!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Moderator Moderator
    It's funny, I will ride in the rain, slush, salt, mud, etc., but hate to leave my bike out in the rain all alone. Probably more damage is done on the move through the wet and gunk than just sitting there getting rained on. That said, I am lucky enough to have either an indoor space or a covered porch to park on at work. I use the porch unless I'm worried about things freezing up during the day. The chain gets the most maintenance attention in bad weather, but don't forget your cables, bearings, seatpost, etc. occasionally too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the responses. I already have fenders since I ride the bike in the rain for fun and to run quick errands. I always cover my seat with a plastic bag if it even looks like rain since I have a Brooks.

I wish I could park inside, but I talked to the building manager and it is a no go. I am a consultant working at a customer site full time, so I don't want to push the issue.

Thanks again.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I recommend a good wet lube, such as Tri-Flow for your chain. I would not recommend leaving an expensive bike and/or expensive components out in the rain all the time. Moisture breeds rust.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0