Locking bike at college.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Locking bike at college.

Hey all, I'm thinking about starting to commute to my college on bike mainly because it's about a 30minute ride and the campus has many places to lock up, with many other people who ride to their classes. It's not a dorm college, it's in NYC but not the "city", its cuny staten island. I will be locking it mainly in the evening hours on weekdays (6:30pm-8:10pm) and on fridays from 6:30pm to 10pm, and day time on weekends. Can anyone give insight on how good these locks may be, using both a u-lock and chain on a rack? Thanks.

Amazon.com: OnGuard Beast 5018 Bicycle Chain Lock: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Kryptonite New York 1210 Bicycle Chain Lock and Evolution Series 4 Disc Lock (3-Foot x 3-Inch): Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: OnGuard Brute STD 5001 Bike U-Lock: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Kryptonite Evolution Mini-7 Bicycle U-Lock with Transit FlexFrame Bracket (3.25-Inch x 7-Inch) with 4-Foot Flex Cable: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm not up on the specific locks, but can share a bit of insight.

Make your bike harder to steal than others in the area. Lock it in a visible place, and lock it to something. Two kinds of lock are better than one, as it takes more tools and time to defeat them. Example would be a U-lock through the frame and back tire, with a cable or chain attaching front wheel, frame and U-lock to an immovable object.

since 4/10/2009
    A college campus in NYC? Two of the highest theft risk situations at the same time. Yes, two locks and a beater bike cheaper than the locks.

Moderator Moderator
    The last time I was in NYC, those heavy squared off chains like you listed seemed most popular.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    What I listed seem a bit overkill compared to what others use at the campus. But I guess using something better would make thieves look at someone else's bike instead of mine, since they all use mainly cable locks and have good looking track bikes. Campus security say's it's quite a bit safer here than other campuses in the city, or even the city.

since 4/10/2009
    and thieves will eventually figure out that people on your campus are complacent because of that supposed "safety" and that the bikes there are easy pickings. they've begun figuring it out here. I see bikes locked up through the spokes and around the fork leg and nothing else. flip the QR and the bike is gone. and bike theft is rising here. be ahead of the curve and you should be in good shape.

~ B A D A S S ~
    pragmasis
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was considering getting a pragmasis. How could I get a pragmasis into the US?

El Pollo Diablo
    Phase one: Buy beater bike
    Phase three: Profit

Seriously, buy something cheap that you won't mind having stolen.
    Such a bike might cost about as much, possibly less than, a really nice lock.
    Then lock it securely.
    Dunno about the rest of you, but if I commute on something that I'm at all attached to, I worry equally about someone stealing it vs someone realizing they can't, and trashing it out of spite.
    Yay paranoia!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I wish I was allowed to bring it inside of class. I don't have the $ to get a whole new beater bike though and two locks for it. The bike isn't necessarily high end though and it is close to 7 years old.

mtbr member
    Put some different colors of house paint on the frame. Make it look ugly as possible. Take the seat and post with you, and take the front wheel off and lock to the back. Then, stand next to your bike the whole time. That should keep it as safe as possible.
    I had 2 bikes stolen while I was at college. College is bike thief heaven. College in New York? I can't even imagine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    yeah it isn't the easiest of places to feel completely secure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hal Ruzal Grades Your Bike Locking (1 of 3) - YouTube

if you're gonna lock up a bike at college, you need to watch this video. Especially if you want to have a bike after those Friday classes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    heh I've seen all three. they're quite funny and he's right, I see the same issues.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scavind View Post
    I was considering getting a pragmasis. How could I get a pragmasis into the US?
    You buy it from the site and write your address? that usually works with almost everything these days.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Use 2 U-locks. On-Guard and Krytonite make good locks. Mini's are nice and light. Make sure you lock the frame and both wheels to something solid. Don't even bother with cables in the NYC area. Also make sure the bike does not have any quick release mechanisms that are left unlocked. If you really want to get crazy and earn instant street cred, super-glue ball bearings inside bolt heads so thieves are unable to use allen wrenches to steal parts off your bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any u-locks you may recommend? My bike isn't going to fit any mini's though.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scavind View Post
    Any u-locks you may recommend? My bike isn't going to fit any mini's though.
    I use an OnGuard Pitbull LS with the X4 locking mechanism. This is a smaller version of mine:

OnGuard Pitbull Mini U-Lock - Normal Shipping Ground

I also use an OnGuard Pitbull Mini DT which only has the X2 locking mechanism but works very well and is much lighter. I've been happy with both of them and have never had any issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I commuted by bike all 6 years through undergrad/grad school and have never had any problems. Like others said, keep your bike looking unattractive and then lock it properly. There are plenty of videos showing that with determination, any lock can be broken fairly quickly given the right tools, so keep your bike cheap. I purchased an old bike and components at bike swaps and then cobbled together a mismatched oddly colored bike with a variety of clashing colors. It looked weird, but was actually a team frame from the 80's and rode like a dream. Finally, like others said, lock your bike up properly!!! I can't believe how may people only lock the wheel or through a few spokes or even less and then wonder why their bike was stolen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I see a lot of people with U locks and rubber covered wires together. The whole 2 types of security thing.

I bet if you leave an empty syringe on your seat most robbers would steer clear though

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Carry a big stick and a bigger lock

Over three years with this beast and every time I come out to my bicycle its still there. It's been to campus, office buildings, grocery stores and any where else i needed to go. I once locked my bike at an office complex and the lock got the attention of the security officer. He actually took time to come over while I was chaining up and said in all his years he has never seen a lock like mine. One other trick I use is to deflate the tires, who wants to steal a bike with flat tires and It only takes a minute or two to replace the air when you leave.

I also agree that you can't ever have to many locks on your bicycle. Just try and pick a spot that has a lot of traffic and is well lit.

I carry the OnGuard Beast 5017 Bicycle Chain Lock that's sold on amazon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0