A little incident for you to ponder- Mtbr.com
    nnn
    mtbr member

A little incident for you to ponder

So I was heading back along a main road from central London today, the same road I have done every day for 4 years without incidents to speak of.

I'm riding behind this black cab in the left lane and decide I want to pass him and move on to catch a traffic light before it went red. So I look ahead of the taxi - no cars or buses within 30 metres on the road, no people on the side walk (for him to pick up) and no one inside the taxi so he's not going to perform the favourite taxi trick of slamming the brakes...

Then I look to my right and back to see if I'd get in anyone's way if I pulled out - some slow cars quite a distance away so I start to move to the right when I realised the taxi had all but stopped and for once my periphery wasn't working well enough. Slammed the brakes and went OTB, shoulder into the back of the cab. Pretty slowmo so I got up, looked at the back of the cab and saw no dents, scratches etc. so I pulled out and said 'sorry, didn't see you' and went on.

4-5 mins later I had forgotten all about it and was going along some empty road when the cab speeds behind and veers in front of me and cuts me off with a fairly clear intent to, if not hit me, get very very close. So I try to go around but the guy obviously meant 'business' and runs into me shouting insults which you can use your imagination to complete'.

So I try telling him the blame was equal if not more in his favour, for slamming the brakes in the middle of nowhere I've commuted for a long time and know aggression will get you nowhere and was passive, so the following things went through my head:

*If he has no qualms about intentionally running into a cyclist at speed without any reason, what is he going to do if I stop to talk about the accident?

*I'm no aggressor but if that 50+ year old dude got out and went for me I'm not gonna be hit around and he would get some serious damage (no boasting meant..) which puts me in a very different situation.

so the only thing left to do was a 180 and diving into the local one way street system to lose him...that took a while as he was quite determined to keep following me but I lost him eventually and took an alternative way home.

I'm usually fairly clear-headed about this stuff, but I'm not so sure - who was in the wrong here, and did I do the right thing ?

Needless to say I'm glad I'm leaving London in a month's time for good.

Discuss away
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    He was in the wrong. You did no damage to his car, and even if you would have, he has absolutely no right to try and run you down.
    Did you get his licence plate number?
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

nnn
    mtbr member
    Unfortunately no, just didn't think about at the time I guess.
    I hope at least he was caught speeding by speed cameras around that area and gets a fine or something..
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I might have waited around until he had got out the cab and satisfied himself that there was indeed no damage. Perhaps he thought you damaged it and we're doing a runner? Does not excuse the way he behaved though.

And I'm not so sure its his fault either. again, it sounds like you rear ended him?

Best bit of advice for the next month until you leave london, might be to 'disguise' you and your bike a little. Some different clothes, change of lid, different back pack etc... You might come accross him again and he might still be angry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Wow, some peoples kids!!!...

You would have likely been faulted for the accident had the police been involved. After all you did rear end him. But to chase you down and be an ass!? I just can't see that. Had I been the Cabbie the first thing I'd have thought about was you. Were you hurt and did I need to call for the medics! I'd have jumped out to see if you were alright. The cab would have been secondary. I mean how much of a dinger can a rider put in the back of a cab!? It certainly wouldn't likely put it out of commission. I just don't get some people I guess. Maybe I'm too easy going. The way I see it is, no harm done, why get your knickers in a wad over it. Not you of course, the cab driver.

Oh well, at least, as you stated, you're leaving London for good shortly. So good luck, and steer clear of cabs till you leave.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

All fat, all the time.
    A bike on the road should follow the same rules as a car, correct? Technically you rear ended him, you probably should have actually stopped to talk to him, make sure there was no damage to his vehicle. That's probably why he was pissed & chased after you.

By no means were those the proper actions of the cabby, please don't take it like that, that's not what I mean.

It's unfortunate when some idiot slams on the brakes in front of you (heck, I had a fender bender because some lady missed her driveway & locked em up!), but it's up to the person behind to make sure there is a safe following distance, car or bike.

Anyways, main thing is you're OK.

weirdo
    For whatever my opinion is worth, I`d say you played it right in the post collision event. The one way street sounds like a very good move- if I had any of those streets around here, I`d add your idea to my "bag of tricks".

No-Brakes Cougar
    Well this confirms my suspicions that the insanity of cab drivers is not just an American thing. In my area we have a relatively low density of cabbies, compared to an area like New York or London but it never fails that every single encounter I have with one involves them pulling out in front of you, pulling in front of you and slamming on the brakes, etc.... You would think that if you had to drive for a living you would do everything you could to try to keep your driving record clean?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0