List of 26inch commuter bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

List of 26inch commuter bikes

Hi guys, I have a few list of dedicated 26 inch rear deraileur mulit-speed commuter bikes . Anybody who knows if there is more, can u help me added to the list? Thanks (I am not keen on internal hubs)

Raleigh Voyager GLX men
    Marin Novato
    Kona Smoke
    KHS Urban X
    Giant Transport LX

Ride = Life
    Technically any 26 inch wheel mountain bike with commuter tires would qualify as a 26" commuter bike. That changes as your requirements become more specific.

Want fenders or racks? Then make sure the frame has eyelets to bolt them on. Tires? Well you can replace the nobbies with a bunch of different street tires. Handlebars? I use the same bar/grips on my commuter as on my Mountain bikes. Use what makes you comfertable.

To add to your list of ready mades, consider the Novara Safari.
    Depending on you size (medium or small frame) I wouldn't discount the Novara Safari. That is the bike I'm using as a commuter. I'm a size large, so wheel size goes up to 29", which I like better for riding on dirt/paved roads and trails.
    REI site: http://www.rei.com/product/775749

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERQfz4E3mB0
    "Riding is about rhythm and flow. It's the wind in your face and the challenge of hammering up a long hill…" - Gary Klein

weirdo
    EXACTLY what Racerxti said-

look a the huge variety that everybody has posted in the Post Your Commuter thread. Probably about half of them are mountain bikes of one form or another. If you want something else that wouldn`t generally be considered mtb, you need to specify what you`re looking for.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I did indicate dedicated commuter. Ok, maybe the spec is not that clear.

Actually manufacturer of these bicycle already put them under commuter section when u search their website for different types of bike.

Its hard to say cos some comes with fender,rack while some comes with front suspension or rigid fork. Some with slick or semi slick. But definitely these bike are not for cross country race or DH ride..

Full suspension bike is totally out.

Bedwards Of The West
    You are thinking in terms of a complete bike offered as a "commuter" by the bike manufacturer, that has 26" wheels. I would think that would be a pretty short list.

Personally after building my last couple of bikes, I can't see ever buying a 'complete' bike again. It totally limits you to what someone else thinks is a good idea. This is especially true of commuter bikes, because every commute is different. My ride has some dirt road, some pavement, moderate hills... if I have to pick a bike from the same list as a guy in Miami or San Fransisco I'm going to have to start changing stuff immeidately to get the right gearing, tires, etc. Why not just start from scratch?

I never considered buying a bike that anyone else thought was a good commuter. I started with my commute, and built a bike for the task.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    You are thinking in terms of a complete bike offered as a "commuter" by the bike manufacturer, that has 26" wheels. I would think that would be a pretty short list.

Personally after building my last couple of bikes, I can't see ever buying a 'complete' bike again. It totally limits you to what someone else thinks is a good idea. This is especially true of commuter bikes, because every commute is different. My ride has some dirt road, some pavement, moderate hills... if I have to pick a bike from the same list as a guy in Miami or San Fransisco I'm going to have to start changing stuff immeidately to get the right gearing, tires, etc. Why not just start from scratch?

I never considered buying a bike that anyone else thought was a good commuter. I started with my commute, and built a bike for the task.
    Usually modification for me only limits for a few parts while bulk of the stock parts are still essential and will remain. It will cut down number of additional parts I needed to get.

Members who have read this thread: 0